Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

N415XJ
Topic Author

Hawaii missile false alarm- no reaction from ATC.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 1:04 am

I'm sure that everyone's aware of the false missile warning that was broadcast in Hawaii yesterday. I was curious to hear how it was handled by ATC, so I pulled up the liveatc recording from the time of the incident. Interestingly there is absolutely no reaction from controllers or pilots. I guess this means that the public and 'official' warning systems are separate, and only the former was accidentally triggered. You can listen to the recording here (starts at 08:00 HST, 18:00 GMT)

http://archive-server.liveatc.net/phnl/ ... -1800Z.mp3

GalaxyFlyer

Re: Hawaii missile false alarm- no reaction from ATC.

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:35 am

What exactly was ATC gonna do? Give the inbound missile a go around? As a pilot what could you do? Divert to another island, perhaps, but there wasn’t a specific target, either.

GF

Starlionblue

Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:39 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
What exactly was ATC gonna do? Give the inbound missile a go around?

GF

:)

Missile warnings are sometimes issued via CPDLC to aircraft in the area when North Korean decides to hurl one aloft. Not that there's much pilots can do about it. It's not like we can avoid a re-entering first stage.

For "ordinary" launches, e.g. satellites, restricted areas will be NOTAMed.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:21 am

I understand the NOTAM system, but this incident wasn’t gonna be in a NOTAM. Didn’t know that about NK launches. Watched the Shuttle go off at night, spectacular, it was.

GF

MatthewDB

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:11 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
What exactly was ATC gonna do? Give the inbound missile a go around? As a pilot what could you do? Divert to another island, perhaps, but there wasn’t a specific target, either.

GF

I presume the diversion options for all of the Hawaiian islands are another Hawaiian island?

About the only possibility I could see that could cause a re-direct is if they knew the track very well, they could divert away from the impact point.

77west

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:35 am

With a 20 minute trip time, the missile will be there before they can really do much about it..
77West - AW109S - BE90 - JS31 - B1900 - Q300 - ATR72 - DC9-30 - MD80 - B733 - A320 - B738 - A300-B4 - B773 - B77W

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:43 am

MatthewDB wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

I presume the diversion options for all of the Hawaiian islands are another Hawaiian island?

About the only possibility I could see that could cause a re-direct is if they knew the track very well, they could divert away from the impact point.

But nothing was known by the announcement, only “Hawaii”; which is 300+ nm wide, 1200, if you go out to Midway and French Frigate Shoals. A divert could easily to target, or better yet, ground zero. Yes, all diverts in HI are to another HI airport

MSJYOP28Apilot

Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:24 pm

Remember no airline carries more fuel than it needs to complete a flight. Unless economic ferry fuel or bad weather were pre-planned considerations (very rare for Hawaii), these things wouldnt have the fuel to make it anywhere but to one of the Hawaiian Islands. Maybe a few could stretch out their reserve fuel and make MDY. With a lot of domestic carriers using 737s and A321/A320s to Hawaii from the west coast, those things often operate close to minimum legally allowed fuel and carry basically no holding or contingency fuel. Once you get close to Hawaii or in range to one of the Hawaiian airports, your options are basically HNL, OGG, ITO, KOA, LIH, JRF. If you cant land in Hawaii, you have the ocean basically.

NBGSkyGod

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:03 pm

From the NATCA Facebook page:
"Veteran Honolulu Control Facility (HCF) member Steve Olson, recounting the experience of working yesterday:

“8:07am I was plugged in working airplanes like I do every Saturday morning, when the day took a turn into the surreal. Pilot after pilot started to check in with the same question. ‘Center, can you confirm the missile launch?’

“Then, as questions on the control floor were asked, it seemed like every phone in the room started ringing. The word ‘confirmed’ stung like a knife in the gut. As I started to advise the pilots on frequency that the missile launch is confirmed, the frequencies grew silent.

“As I did the only thing I could, continue to take care of the planes in my charge, all I could do was think about the ones I love, my loving wife and amazing kids. With less then 10 minutes there was nothing I could do.

“We found out rather quickly that it was a false alarm, but it seemed like forever.

“With my heart racing and my stomach in my throat, this is what was in my mind. Every day, for the last 29 years, when I leave home for work I hug Meagan, kiss her and tell her I love her. It may sound silly and trite, but today, for 10 long minutes, it mattered.

“Don’t take anything or anyone for granted.”"
Pilots are idiots, who at any given moment will attempt to kill themselves or others.

TOGA10

Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:46 pm

NBGSkyGod wrote:
From the NATCA Facebook page:
"Veteran Honolulu Control Facility (HCF) member Steve Olson, recounting the experience of working yesterday:

“8:07am I was plugged in working airplanes like I do every Saturday morning, when the day took a turn into the surreal. Pilot after pilot started to check in with the same question. ‘Center, can you confirm the missile launch?’

“Then, as questions on the control floor were asked, it seemed like every phone in the room started ringing. The word ‘confirmed’ stung like a knife in the gut. As I started to advise the pilots on frequency that the missile launch is confirmed, the frequencies grew silent.

“As I did the only thing I could, continue to take care of the planes in my charge, all I could do was think about the ones I love, my loving wife and amazing kids. With less then 10 minutes there was nothing I could do.

“We found out rather quickly that it was a false alarm, but it seemed like forever.

“With my heart racing and my stomach in my throat, this is what was in my mind. Every day, for the last 29 years, when I leave home for work I hug Meagan, kiss her and tell her I love her. It may sound silly and trite, but today, for 10 long minutes, it mattered.

“Don’t take anything or anyone for granted.”"

Sounds like a scene from a Hollywood blockbuster ;-).
I wanna go back upstairs!