titanmiller
Topic Author

What is the oldest aircraft that still has the original manufacturer's engineering support?

Sat Feb 03, 2018 9:59 pm

Any idea on what the oldest aircraft is that still has engineers on staff at the original manufacturer to handle support issues?

BoeingGuy

Re: What is the oldest aircraft that still has the original manufacturer's engineering support?

Sat Feb 03, 2018 10:03 pm

Several years ago, I saw a reference at Boeing to a DC-4 that needed support. Remember Boeing merger with Douglas. It would be interesting to know if Boeing supports any DC-3s.

GalaxyFlyer

Re: What is the oldest aircraft that still has the original manufacturer's engineering support?

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:05 am

Whoever owns the certificate. But, I think, once a type is out of production for 25 (?) years, the manufacturer is released from supporting it. I’d love to hear how Boeing found an engineer or vendor to support a -4.

GF

gtae07

Sun Feb 04, 2018 12:49 am

We'll still support airplanes that were made in the late 60s, if the operators call in for support. I've worked a couple of them in the last few years. But generally we find that those operators aren't going to contact us in most cases--our support is expensive and anyone operating one of those airplanes probably doesn't want to pay for it.

It's most likely a case of "how much are you willing to pay?"

FrmrKSEngr

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:48 am

At Boeing Wichita occasionally we would get calls for Stearman drawings. Not active support, but still interesting.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Feb 04, 2018 4:31 am

That’s going back some? No, P-26 requests?

GF

zeke

Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:17 am

DH82 still has TCDS support and spares, first flight 1931.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

WIederling

Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:56 am

zeke wrote:

Who holds the bag for the DC-3? Boeing or Basler ?
Murphy is an optimist

SheikhDjibouti

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:13 pm

zeke wrote:

Is that because the RAF is still looking a it as a potential "next generation trainer", and want to keep their options open?

Hey, that's my car!
(note to self; must put some air in that rear nearside tire)
I promised myself I'd leave before the party turned ugly. I would quit at 1000 !
Here I am stuck at 994; each time I'm tempted to post, I find myself wondering who will even read it / what is the point?
Or maybe I've just got nothing left to say.

BravoOne

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:23 pm

BoeingGuy wrote:
Several years ago, I saw a reference at Boeing to a DC-4 that needed support. Remember Boeing merger with Douglas. It would be interesting to know if Boeing supports any DC-3s.

Use to see DC7 material on MBF but it's no longer there or at least I can't find it.

zeke

Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:39 pm

WIederling wrote:
zeke wrote:

Who holds the bag for the DC-3? Boeing or Basler ?

The 3 DC-3 TCDS are held by Boeing, the BT-67 is a series of STCs.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News