bourbon
Topic Author

Cargo Door Size of Current Wide Body Aircraft

Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:27 pm

Curious,

Why does the 767 have a larger cargo door than the 777 and 787?

What is the reasoning behind that?
The only thing I could possibly find feasible is the larger door causing a decrease in the structural integrity of the fuselage on the longer aircraft.

rutankrd

Re: Cargo Door Size of Current Wide Body Aircraft

Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:31 pm

Cargo door sizes on the 767 actually varied depending on purchaser requirements as did the number of cabin doors .

SpaceshipDC10

Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:34 pm

Since the 767 fuselage is narrower, thus having smaller luggage containers, could the door be that large in order to accommodate cargo pallets sideways?

Edit: I meant narrower than A300s L1011s and DC-10s.
I have discovered that once people are truly captivated in their ignorance, they are generally unwilling to let the facts interfere.
(Rick Drury's Flightlines "Paychecks", Airways April 2003)

accargofra

Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:39 pm

On the 767 the PMC's will be loaded lengthwise into the aircraft, thats why the doors are that large to take the entire pallet (~320 cms lenght).
On the 787/777/ and 330 the PMC will be loaded traverse (due to wider fuselages), and the door therefore only needs only that wide of the PMC (~240 cms).
As mentioned in the post above, some 767 (forward hold) only have smaller doors, so no PMC will fit and only LD2 and LD8 can be loaded.

XAM2175

Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:46 pm

Boeing also offered a choice of rear cargo door size on the 777 - the rationale behind taking the smaller door was to save weight and I believe also maintenance cost, but in retrospect it seems to have devalued the small-door frames on the second-hand market.

gregorygoodwin

Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:16 pm

This is something I too have wondered about, and I work on 767 freighters for FDX as a structures tech. The lower cargo doors on our 767s are about the same size as the main deck doorway. The answers as stated above make sense. We also see another benefit in that the doorways don't get damaged as often on the 767s as they do on other types such as the MD10s. The 10s usually have a smaller width doorway and the rubber seal are around the fuselage side of the doorway, thus they get hit by the containers when loading along with the under lying structure sometimes.This is a common maintenance write up when the plane comes in for a letter check. On the 767s the rubber seals are on the door itself and the depressor is mounted around the doorway on the fuselage. Also, the wing-to-fuselage fairings on the 10s and MD11s extend back over the center (some call it the aft) cargo doorway and, being of composite construction, are continually getting beat up and needing repair.