Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

CHRISALLEN3285
Topic Author

Nashville, TN Flight Attendant Crew Base

Sat May 19, 2018 6:12 am

Hi Everyone!!!! I’m new here. I’m interested in becoming a flight attendant. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is an airline that has Nashville, TN as a flight attendant crew base?

nws2002

Re: Nashville, TN Flight Attendant Crew Base

Sat May 19, 2018 10:28 am

I don't think anyone has crew bases in BNA. Maybe WN? Rumor is G4 might have BNA as a base sometime next year. I know PSA

Also, you generally don't get to choose your base as a new hire flight attendant. One will be assigned to you during training.

BravoOne

Sat May 19, 2018 3:35 pm

FA bases usually do not fall under the "technical Forum" subject matter. Might do better in the Civil aviation forum, or search the web.

Woodreau

Sat May 19, 2018 5:49 pm

Nashville Eagle probably had a base in BNA in the late 1980s but by the early 90’s was probably consolidated when they merged all of the American Eagle carriers.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

Dalmd88

Sun May 20, 2018 12:47 pm

BravoOne wrote:
FA bases usually do not fall under the "technical Forum" subject matter. Might do better in the Civil aviation forum, or search the web.

The forum is Technical/Operation. FA bases would fall under Operations. Yes, these topics get a fair amount of traffic here.

Like others have said, If you get hired, you don't get much choice of base. Any bases that have openings will get offered to the graduating class by Date of Hire. Usually the least desirable in the system. Think NYC, or other very expensive city.

pilotpip

Sun May 20, 2018 7:39 pm

Crew domiciles will usually be associated with hubs. Some regionals still utilize outstation basing in places like Indianapolis, St. Louis, and Columbus, but those are the exception. Base choices, like everything else in this industry, are dictated by seniority.
DMI

TWA772LR

Mon May 21, 2018 2:06 am

CHRISALLEN3285 wrote:
Hi Everyone!!!! I’m new here. I’m interested in becoming a flight attendant. I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is an airline that has Nashville, TN as a flight attendant crew base?

You can still live in Nashville and commute to wherever your base is.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

jetero

Mon May 21, 2018 2:11 am

TWA772LR wrote:
CHRISALLEN3285 wrote:

Don’t you have to be on-call for the first several months (or years)?

TWA772LR

Mon May 21, 2018 3:02 am

jetero wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:
CHRISALLEN3285 wrote:

You don't have to be but those reserve slots almost always fall to the most junior anyway. Just depends how quickly you move up in seniority.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

e38

Mon May 21, 2018 3:07 am

Quoting CHRISALLEN (thread starter), "I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there is an airline that has Nashville, TN as a flight attendant crew base?"

Chrisallen, from your question, I get the impression you really are not particularly serious about working for an airline. If you were, you would take some initiative--make a list of the airlines that serve Nashville, and research the questions you have concerning their flight attendant bases. Keep in mind, should you ever get an interview, you will be expected to know quite a bit about their corporate structure, leadership, routes, fleet, company history, etc. Get in practice now by doing some research on companies for which you would be interested in working. There is so much more than "do they have a base in Nashville." Think about company stability, opportunities for progression, pay, compensation, and benefits, and route structure. If you know anybody who works as a flight attendant for an airline, contact them and find out about their lifestyle, impressions, opinions, etc.

Quoting TWA772LR (Reply # 7), "You can still live in Nashville and commute to wherever your base is."

This is very true; however, depending on the non-rev and jumpseat policies of your airline (and other airlines upon which you may wish to travel) this can sometimes be very challenging, particularly when you are junior. As a junior employee, living in one city and being based in another city would probably require getting a "crash pad," also known as a "commuter pad." That's a whole separate topic in itself!

Quoting jetero (Reply # 8), "Don’t you have to be on-call for the first several months (or years)?" The answer is, "it depends."

On-call, also known as reserve, varies with every airline. But, in general, yes, you do have to be on reserve as a new hire. How long it lasts is considerably variable also, depending on many factors such as how many flight attendants the company is hiring, how many flight attendants are assigned to the base, the seniority level of the base to which you are assigned, among many other factors. Yes, it can last from not at all (very rare), to several months (most probable), to years (possible).

e38

jetero

Mon May 21, 2018 3:33 am

TWA772LR wrote:
jetero wrote:
TWA772LR wrote:

You don't have to be but those reserve slots almost always fall to the most junior anyway. Just depends how quickly you move up in seniority.

18 years ago (even pre-9/11), you didn’t have much of a choice! Glad to hear there are choices now.