whiplash
Topic Author

Scope for cockpit upgrades in the A320

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:00 pm

Airbus has talked in the past about the cockpit up-gradation of the A320's cockpit in the future. An Aviation Week's post had written in a post a few years ago that Airbus was evaluating advanced system designs for its most popular jetliner and quoted COO Tom Williams saying that the changes will not be massive, and that a strong focus area would be the replacement of the avionics and the flight deck in general. What changes can we be possibly looking at?

"Williams also hints that Airbus is taking a look at whether some of the upgraded systems that may be introduced for newly built aircraft could actually be retrofitted to the in-service fleet." read the report. Considering that the A320neo brought absolutely no changes to the flight deck; can we actually expect Airbus to carry out upgrades? If they do, what can we expect? New displays? RMP/ACP panels?

Cheers!

ap305

Re: Scope for cockpit upgrades in the A320

Mon Jun 04, 2018 2:15 pm

They are looking at introducing synthetic vision on the a350 in few years. It may need new displays on the a320 but perhaps this is a direction they will go.
Racing, competing, is in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I've been doing it all my life. And it stands up before anything else- Ayrton Senna

INFINITI329

Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:01 am

I felt NEO should gave came with some sort cockpit upgrade even if was just the displays

Philippine747

Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:42 pm

Brake to Vacate installed on the A380 would be a good feature on the A320, as it can help crews control their braking and reduce runway occupancy time.
A319 A320 A321 A332 A333 A343 AT72 B732 B733 B738 B744 B752(M) B763 B772 B77W DHC7 DH8C DH8D D328 MA60

2P 5J 6K CX DG EK GA KE MI PR VN OS QR A3 OK TG RA U4 JL GK

Starlionblue

Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:07 am

Philippine747 wrote:
Brake to Vacate installed on the A380 would be a good feature on the A320, as it can help crews control their braking and reduce runway occupancy time.

Other later-model Airbus that could be introduced without drastic system or panel redesign are auto TCAS and auto Emergency Descent, as well as more subtle things like automatic speed setting to green dot with an engine failure in cruise.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo