Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

dz09
Topic Author

Pilot's last flight

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:31 am

I met a gentleman today who happens to be a pilot. Today he did his last flight. I'm pretty sure retiring is tough for any person but it has to be harder for pilots knowing they can never fly again. He seemed either jetlagged or confused about what's ahead.

stl07

Re: Pilot's last flight

Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:46 am

dz09 wrote:
I met a gentleman today who happens to be a pilot. Today he did his last flight. I'm pretty sure retiring is tough for any person but it has to be harder for pilots knowing they can never fly again. He seemed either jetlagged or confused about what's ahead.

They can always rent a Cessna :D
Instead of typing in "mods", consider using the report function.
Love how every "travel blogger" says they will never fly AA/Ethihad again and then says it again and again on subsequent flights.

kaitakfan

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:08 am

Maybe he had other things on his mind besides discussing his life plans with a stranger after he just finished his last flight of his career?

dz09
Topic Author

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:24 am

kaitakfan wrote:
Maybe he had other things on his mind besides discussing his life plans with a stranger after he just finished his last flight of his career?

what a comment? it wasn't like that. we had a very nice conversation and It's not like every day you meet a pilot who has just completed the last flight of his career. he initiated the conversation and i wasn't asking him about his life plans. I felt privileged to experience an event or meet a person like that and thought i'd share it.

goboeing

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:32 am

I had a guy on our jumpseat a few months ago.

We had an FAA fed guy in one jumpseat, not there to watch us but there to get from point A to B but regardless, an FAA inspector in the jumpseat nonetheless.

The other guy shows up, huuuge guy, and I'm chatting with him as the FAA guy is taking a look at our license and medical etc. Come to find out, the jumpseating captain had just flown his retirement flight on the 747-400.

The Fed heads to the lav before push, and the retiree smiles and says, "I'll keep him busy."

That he did; other than sterile cockpit time those two were chatting nonstop, and the retiree guy was enjoying his last jumpseat ride and reminiscing about all sorts of stuff over the years with the Fed crammed into the corner jumpseat. Didn't hear a peep from him from block-out to block-in!

32andBelow

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:08 am

They can still fly under part 135 if they choose.

AR385

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:51 am

I thought they can continue flying cargo aircraft.

PatrickZ80

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:10 am

AR385 wrote:

As long as their health permits it they can fly anything they want, just like anybody else is allowed to keep working after their retirement date. They just don't have to anymore, it's no longer an obligation. But it's not disallowed.

Looking at my grandfather, he retired at 65. From that day on he received money from the retirement fund. However he kept working part-time until he was 76. He didn't have to, but it just gave him something to do. At a certain moment his health gave in and he was no longer able to work.

787Driver

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:23 am

Yeah well as another poster said, he can always rent a Cessna, which by the way is way more fun than flying an airliner.

TheFlyingDisk

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:29 am

Actually there's a question I had always wanted to ask - how do Scheduling deal with pilots whose last flights are outbound from the home airport? Do they arrange for another pilot to deadhead and catch up with the crew at the outbound airport? Do they let the retiring pilot fly on the inbound flight as well?
I FLY KLM+ALASKA+QATAR+MALAYSIA+AIRASIA+MALINDO

Flanker7

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:33 am

dz09 wrote:

I think retirement for any person who enjoy what there doing can be hard. I don't see why this will be harder for pilots. I spoke to some who where happy to retire and do other things other then flying.
Flying blue only if possible

Max Q

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:46 am

TheFlyingDisk wrote:
Actually there's a question I had always wanted to ask - how do Scheduling deal with pilots whose last flights are outbound from the home airport? Do they arrange for another pilot to deadhead and catch up with the crew at the outbound airport? Do they let the retiring pilot fly on the inbound flight as well?

Scheduling will almost always ensure that the soon to be retired pilot will fly his or her last flight inbound to home base, well before his or her 65th birthday to avoid that problem
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

Ionosphere

Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:58 am

I remember flying STL-PIT on a US Airways DC-9 in 2000. The Captain retired when we landed in Pittsburgh. His family was onboard. The son passed out donuts to all the passengers. We got a water cannon solute on arrival. There was a group of flight attendant trainees onboard doing a training flight.

Starlionblue

Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:41 am

PatrickZ80 wrote:
AR385 wrote:

As long as their health permits it they can fly anything they want, just like anybody else is allowed to keep working after their retirement date. They just don't have to anymore, it's no longer an obligation. But it's not disallowed.

Looking at my grandfather, he retired at 65. From that day on he received money from the retirement fund. However he kept working part-time until he was 76. He didn't have to, but it just gave him something to do. At a certain moment his health gave in and he was no longer able to work.

You can't keep flying anything you want. At a given age, 65 in many countries, you are no longer allowed to fly a scheduled service. In Europe you aren't allowed to command a multi-crew scheduled service after 60. Many captains retire. Others move to the right seat.

You can certainly keep flying, but there are age limits to flying "for hire".
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

CosmicCruiser

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:27 pm

AR385 wrote:

Not if its under FAR 121. I had to go at 65

Starlionblue

Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:32 pm

CosmicCruiser wrote:
AR385 wrote:

Many people I meet seem to have the impression that cargo aircraft operate under a less stringent set of rules than passenger aircraft. It's weird.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

BravoOne

Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:16 pm

Not aware of any regulatory authority that allows for 65+ pilot to move to the right seat?

arcticcruiser

Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:38 pm

Starlionblue wrote:

You can't keep flying anything you want. At a given age, 65 in many countries, you are no longer allowed to fly a scheduled service. In Europe you aren't allowed to command a multi-crew scheduled service after 60. Many captains retire. Others move to the right seat.

Say again? You certainly got that wrong. In EASA land you can fly all you want till 65. In the left seat.

johns624

Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:46 pm

My brother will be retiring as a A320 CPT in a year at 65. I'm hoping to get on his last flight. I haven't flown with him 40+ years, since I went with him in a 150 right after he got his PPL.

DocLightning

Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:57 pm

A few years ago, an EasyJet captain had his last flight with his son as his F/O.

I have to think that after doing this for a career, retirement may be bittersweet, but the novelty has worn off.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

Starlionblue

Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:16 am

arcticcruiser wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Say again? You certainly got that wrong. In EASA land you can fly all you want till 65. In the left seat.

I stand corrected. I have this strong memory of seeing some material before an exam.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:36 am

For some, embalming fluid is the only cure for aviation, for others retirement can be a chance to do a hundred other things.

GF

RetiredWeasel

Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:41 am

Back in the day when FAA retirement was set at 60, we had more than a couple of CPT's move to the Flight Engineer position on classic 747s and DC-10s when we still had them. There was no age limit on that position. That ended around 2008 when NW got rid of their classics. Bad investments, ex-wives that drained their finances was the most often cited reasons.

FlyHossD

Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:02 am

[twoid][/twoid]
RetiredWeasel wrote:
Back in the day when FAA retirement was set at 60, we had more than a couple of CPT's move to the Flight Engineer position on classic 747s and DC-10s when we still had them. There was no age limit on that position. That ended around 2008 when NW got rid of their classics. Bad investments, ex-wives that drained their finances was the most often cited reasons.

That reminds me of a story. Years ago, I was talking with a very senior pilot, who at age 60 had moved to the panel of the DC-10. He mentioned that he was paying alimony to three ex-wifes. I suggested to him that if he quit working, he could probably get the courts to eliminate the alimony. But he replied, "I know, but I still like all three of them." I had no more advice; he continued to work until age 70.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

Starlionblue

Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:03 am

FlyHossD wrote:
[twoid][/twoid]
RetiredWeasel wrote:

That reminds me of a story. Years ago, I was talking with a very senior pilot, who at age 60 had moved to the panel of the DC-10. He mentioned that he was paying alimony to three ex-wifes. I suggested to him that if he quit working, he could probably get the courts to eliminate the alimony. But he replied, "I know, but I still like all three of them." I had no more advice; he continued to work until age 70.

We have a few of a similar type working as sim instructors.

Flow2706

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:03 am

We had a guy that is semi retired now. He really did not want to retire at all as the flying gave him some purpose I think. He made an agreement with the company now and he is doing most of the ferry flights now (which is legal in EASA even after the age of 65).

CarlosSi

Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:41 am

Starlionblue wrote:
arcticcruiser wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

I stand corrected. I have this strong memory of seeing some material before an exam.

The wording is kind of odd, FAR 61.23 mentions something about age 60 holding a 1st class medical exercising in part 121 ops. Can you have two guys over 60 in the flight deck?

(If over 40 and) conducting an operation requiring
"an airline transport pilot certificate for pilot-in-command privileges, for second-in-command privileges in a flag or supplemental operation in part 121 requiring three or more pilots, or for a pilot flightcrew member in part 121 operations who has reached his or her 60th birthday." (certificate expires 6 months)

zeke

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:12 am

As far as I know Australia, Brazil, Canada, Costa Rica, New Zealand, Russia and a few others have no upper age limit for domestic operations as long as they keep passing the simulator rides and medicals.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

BravoOne

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:00 pm

I believe that ICAO put the end to age 65+ (PIC) flying if you were a Part 125/135. As I recall we always designated one of the sub age 65 pilots as PIC when operating in Europe as ramp checks were common.

Like others have said. retired pilots have lots of choices within the aviation community if they plannned ahead before retirement. I know pilots flying Gulfstream 550/650/Falcon 7X 8X, 900, and a multitude of Citation aircraft. Simulator instructors are in high demand these days, working terms are generally marginal. Most of these pilots are not supporting their ex wives as common believed, but a few of the have late in life children in Med school, Law school and an extra resource for income is welcomed. BTW, just because you were an airline en airline pilot does not make you a qualified/worthy sim instructor.

I'm sure one our regular posters here can comment on a "famous" Boeing pilot who recently retired and took a flying job at one of the worlds largest on line retailers, amongst other things, only to return to Boeing as a "contract" production pilot. Guess you can take the boy out of the airplane, but taking the airplane to of the boy is harder than it looks!

BravoOne

Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:05 pm

Flow2706 wrote:
We had a guy that is semi retired now. He really did not want to retire at all as the flying gave him some purpose I think. He made an agreement with the company now and he is doing most of the ferry flights now (which is legal in EASA even after the age of 65).

Legal in the US as well under Part 91 which is common for ferry flights.

7BOEING7

Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:35 pm

BravoOne wrote:

I'm sure one our regular posters here can comment on a "famous" Boeing pilot who recently retired and took a flying job at one of the worlds largest on line retailers, amongst other things, only to return to Boeing as a "contract" production pilot. Guess you can take the boy out of the airplane, but taking the airplane to of the boy is harder than it looks!

"Famous", for what? Online retailer, not to my knowledge? Retire, don't think he was old enough? Back in the day, nobody that wasn't asked to leave, left -- it was like the Supreme Court, you stayed until you reached the magic age, 60-63 -- these days I guess it's not as much fun anymore, more like work. So with lots of work to do and pilots leaving, I guess if you can find a known quantity to work part time, you sign him up.

zeke

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:52 pm

BravoOne wrote:
I believe that ICAO put the end to age 65+ (PIC) flying if you were a Part 125/135. As I recall we always designated one of the sub age 65 pilots as PIC when operating in Europe as ramp checks were common.

The age limits are only for international, not domestic.

2.1.10.1 A Contracting State, having issued pilot licences,
shall not permit the holders thereof to act as pilot-in-command
of an aircraft engaged in international commercial air transport
operations if the licence holders have attained their 60th birthday
or, in the case of operations with more than one pilot where
the other pilot is younger than 60 years of age, their 65th
birthday.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

BravoOne

Fri Jun 22, 2018 9:53 pm

ST was well known within Boeing and the corporate BBJ community so while "Famous" was my observation. On Line retailers would fall under the likes of Amazon. I suspect this guys walking papers looked a lot different than most Boeing pilots.

7BOEING7

Fri Jun 22, 2018 10:44 pm

BravoOne wrote:
ST was well known within Boeing and the corporate BBJ community so while "Famous" was my observation. On Line retailers would fall under the likes of Amazon. I suspect this guys walking papers looked a lot different than most Boeing pilots.

Copy that, I was thinking of somebody else who recently left, not as "famous" as ST, nor retired, but working now for a multimillionaire and moonlighting at Boeing. Seems to be a trend as another long time pilot just left to work for the same multimillionaire. It used to be the best job in the world -- not so much anymore i guess.

BravoOne

Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:08 pm

Funny how some pilots with golden glove wind up at these billionaire operations with the owner thinking I have just hired the very best, when in fact in many case some pilot with a lessor pedigree would heve been better choice. A few former members of the 89th come to mind.

MatthewDB

Sun Jun 24, 2018 4:19 am

Starlionblue wrote:
CosmicCruiser wrote:
AR385 wrote:

Many people I meet seem to have the impression that cargo aircraft operate under a less stringent set of rules than passenger aircraft. It's weird.

They're clearly unfamiliar with El Al Flight 1862.

BravoOne

Sun Jun 24, 2018 2:53 pm

MatthewDB wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:
CosmicCruiser wrote:

They're clearly unfamiliar with El Al Flight 1862.

So why don't you telll us all about it rather than leaving hanging in suspense.

trnswrld

Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:37 pm

The captain of Continental flight 603, a DC10 was on his last flight before retirement and I believe his wife was riding along in the cockpit as well. Sadly 4 people lost their lives in that accident, but it sounds like the crews did an outstanding job getting that many people off a burning aircraft. What a way to retire!!
Sorry, sort of off topic, but crazy story regarding retirement and family onboard.

BravoOne

Sun Jun 24, 2018 8:18 pm

We'll no question his age was a contributing factor if not the outright cause of this accident xxx!

trnswrld

Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:12 pm

BravoOne wrote:
We'll no question his age was a contributing factor if not the outright cause of this accident xxx!

If you’re referring to my post about the Continental crash.... did the captain necessarily do anything wrong? He chose to abort just below V1 and steered the a/c away from obstacles beyond the runway centerline. I dunno, I’m trying to see here how age was a contributing factor. These are honest questions as I truly do not know the specifics here.
Are you suggesting a younger aged pilot would have continued with the takeoff, flown the aircraft to burn/dump fuel and attempt to carry out a safe and uneventful landing? It’s a tough split second decision.

BravoOne

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:02 pm

Don't think I was referring to any of your posts, and not suggesting anything reference an accident. I usually stay clear of finger pointing in airline accident matters unless it's blatant disregard for normal procedures. My quoted post was tongue in cheek.

trnswrld

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:53 pm

BravoOne wrote:
Don't think I was referring to any of your posts, and not suggesting anything reference an accident. I usually stay clear of finger pointing in airline accident matters unless it's blatant disregard for normal procedures. My quoted post was tongue in cheek.

Oh ok, I’m confused then. Carry on ;)

trnswrld

Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:54 pm

trnswrld wrote:
BravoOne wrote:

Oh ok, I’m confused then. Carry on :)

WKTaylor

Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:37 pm

RE fighter pilots... and last flights...

As a fighter pilot only two bad things can happen to you and one of them will:

a. One day you will walk out to the aircraft knowing that it is your last flight in a fighter.

b. One day you will walk out to the aircraft NOT knowing that it is your last flight in a fighter.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:09 pm

I was hoping for a, but it turned out to be b! Hence, Galaxy Flyer and not Warthawg Flyer

GF

744lover

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:02 pm

I've been previously (many years ago) on LH503 flight from GRU to EZE (flight was FRA - GRU - EZE - GRU - FRA). The captain who boarded the flight in GRU to take it to EZE mentioned it was his last flight and that they'd be doing a low-pass over the "Rio de la Plata" in Buenos Aires. Speaking to the flight attendants, they mentioned that another captain was already waiting in EZE to join the crew once they landed.

At least, back in 2007, the day you completed 65 years meant no more flying. Even if that meant that you had to stop away from home.

BR,
744lover

CosmicCruiser

Thu Jun 28, 2018 7:56 pm

744lover wrote:
At least, back in 2007, the day you completed 65 years meant no more flying. Even if that meant that you had to stop away from home.

BR,
744lover

I don't think our bid system would let you fly a trip pairing that went over your 65th birthday

747Whale

Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:45 am

AR385 wrote:

No, cargo isn't the dregs of what's left over, the thing airline pilots do when they can't do real work.

Cargo operations are beholden to the same rules and regulations, and the same age limitations.

Remember that some of the best paid airline pilots in the world are cargo airlines.

Revelation

Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:59 pm

dz09 wrote:

It can be a very confusing time.

Chances are good the gentleman got interested in flying at a young age and probably has only done that since their teens / early twenties.

One can plan for the inevitable transition all along, but then when it stares one in the face, it can be a confusing thing.

It converts from being a hypothetical to being a reality pretty damned quickly.

Work can provide a lot of positive things: income, camaraderie, competition, growth, stimulation, praise, rewards, purpose, stature, etc.

Having those things one day and not having them the next can be difficult, especially if you haven't prepared for them, mentally and otherwise.

For some people, it's the most difficult transition they ever make in their life.
Wake up to find out that you are the eyes of the world
The heart has its beaches, its homeland and thoughts of its own
Wake now, discover that you are the song that the morning brings
The heart has its seasons, its evenings and songs of its own