acjbbj
Topic Author

Future of trijets

Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:49 pm

OK, this is possibly something that has been asked over and over, but is there any future for three-engine planes and non-jumbo-jet quads? Like 3 or 4 turbofans, not supersonic. And as my signature tells, I am a big fan of the tri-holers.

If there is, then IMO it would be much brighter in the cargo market, not so much for pax planes.

IF we see demand for such, could non-stop ultra-long-haul cargo flights be something? Or things like very short and heavy takeoffs and landings? That way you don't need to come up with a brand new engine. Two engines can only do so much... (Note, I said *IF* we see demand, which we may or may not)

Or is the trijet officially and permanently a relic of the past?
Favourite plane: "L-1011-800 TriStar Next Generation" :mrgreen:
(3-Engine cargo jet approximately the size of a 77F, with three Trent XWB-97. Two engines on the wing, the third in the tail with an S-duct.)

Starlionblue

Re: Future of trijets

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:03 am

Assuming tubes with wings remain the norm, it will be two or four engines in the future. Placement of a third engine is just too problematic with today's big fans unless the base design changes radically. Cue to the BWB discussion.

Even if you need STOL capabilities beyond what two engines give you, four engines is a simpler solution.

Dassault is the only manufacturer still making trijets, but one might question their necessity at this point. A twin with 4-hour EDTO approval gets the job done.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

stratclub

Tue Jun 26, 2018 1:46 am

Relics of the past. You have to admit that the center engine implementation on a DC-10 is just plain goofy.

acjbbj
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:59 am

But it looks cool though... mostly...

And yeah, sticking a 100+ inch fan in the rear = cost going through the atmosphere, so you would have to mount it straight through the vertical fin, which is supposedly "goofy"...

Just wait till Boeing sells off the MD-11's design for someone else to enlarge, or they do it themselves...

So maybe instead of 3x Ge90-115 you could do 4x Trent 7000?
Last edited by acjbbj on Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
(3-Engine cargo jet approximately the size of a 77F, with three Trent XWB-97. Two engines on the wing, the third in the tail with an S-duct.)

Max Q

Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:03 am

Not sure about goofy, an advantage was the straight through simple tail pipe

But that’s the only one I can think of, all other three engine jets: TU154, Yak 40, Falcon 50 / 900, Trident, B727 and the L1011 all used an S duct to provide air for a low mounted centreline engine in the fuselage

On the L1011 the advantages were several, room for a significantly larger, more effective fin and rudder allowed the wing engines to be mounted much further out on the wings making for a quieter cabin and better wing bending relief.

In fact Douglas had to incorporate a double hinged rudder on the DC10 and MD11 to get the needed control authority

Furthermore the #2 engine on the Tristar was mounted much lower improving access and lowering the CG
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

acjbbj
Topic Author

Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:06 am

IF the need arises, would McD's straight tube be the only practical solution for a hi-bypass engine? Since like I said, you aren't going to be sticking a 10-foot diameter engine in the empennage.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jun 26, 2018 2:03 pm

There’s no need to arise. The ONLY advantage to tris and quads is the option to continue after an engine failure enroute, but EDTO rules app,y to all types. The A380 will be the last civil design that’s not a twin.

GF

stratclub

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:13 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
There’s no need to arise. The ONLY advantage to tris and quads is the option to continue after an engine failure enroute, but EDTO rules app,y to all types. The A380 will be the last civil design that’s not a twin.

GF

My thoughts exactly. Basically technology advancements have made a triple obsolete. By how many A-340 are parked, Quads are headed that way as well. At least one A-380 is headed for the scrapper after 10 years of service with several other A-380's already in storage.

With the DC-10, true the center engine location does make sense to some extent. Aircraft with S-ducts do tend to compressor stall when run on the ground/Taxied when there is a side wind. Air Mike (Continental) had a couple of 727's the locals at one of their destinations nicknamed "Choo Choo and Juu-Juu" because of that. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Continental_Micronesia

Some things just become part of aviation history, like this dismal failure: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dornier_Do_X

acjbbj
Topic Author

Wed Jun 27, 2018 12:41 am

So will we see more and more application specific engines arising because the only thing that would make sense are twins? Doesn't that just make everything more expensive?

And yes, I do acknowledge that the trijet is almost completely obsolete for pax services, as twins can do the same but cheaper. The 747 is the only non-twinjet quad that actually makes sense for transporting people.

But wouldn't it be cheaper to use 4 existing engines instead of two new ones? For heavy STOL cargo planes in the future?

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:10 am

What heavy STOL cargo planes? Not even a category. As to engines, the technology continues to advance, with long life span of them, best to have the most modern tech.

GF

Starlionblue

Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:38 am

acjbbj wrote:
So will we see more and more application specific engines arising because the only thing that would make sense are twins? Doesn't that just make everything more expensive?

And yes, I do acknowledge that the trijet is almost completely obsolete for pax services, as twins can do the same but cheaper. The 747 is the only non-twinjet quad that actually makes sense for transporting people.

But wouldn't it be cheaper to use 4 existing engines instead of two new ones? For heavy STOL cargo planes in the future?

Things don't get more expensive in total. You're saving that cost of designing, building and operating a rather complex tail structure.

The 747 doesn't make sense for transporting people any more. If you had to design a 747 today, it would be a twin. And it would be called something like 777-10X or A350-2000.

Unless you're creating something truly massive, like an An-225 or Stratolaunch type vehicle, two engines are enough.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

reidar76

Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:02 pm

I think we will see clean sheet aircraft designed with more than two engines again, if electric engines take off.

garf25

Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:08 pm

Who knows, if you think outside the box.....maybe we'll see single engine in the tail at some point.
And yes I know 'it would never happen' but who knows. Once reliability reaches a point where it's virtually 100%, then maybe......

stfn

Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:58 am

It's my first post on this forum, so hello!

Reading this thread made me think about where to put the third engine of trijet, and I thought "Why not coaxially?". Just put the engine coaxial with the fuselage, that would taper to allow air into the fan. Kind of like a "donut" air intake of the Kuznetsov NK-12.

I made a very quick and very dirty (yes, I suck at PS) image of how it might look. I am fully aware that this is fantasy realm, but this is a thread about trijets all in all. And what exactly would make it not work? Apart from the sheer horror of sitting in front of a giant fan.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Jul 02, 2018 2:13 pm

I would guess rotor burst rules would kill the idea.

GF

chornedsnorkack

Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:39 pm

garf25 wrote:
Who knows, if you think outside the box.....maybe we'll see single engine in the tail at some point.
And yes I know 'it would never happen' but who knows. Once reliability reaches a point where it's virtually 100%, then maybe......

How is the progress of Piperjet?

DocLightning

Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:54 pm

The future of trijets:
[/quote]

garf25 wrote:

It sounds reasonable until you think about it. With 350 souls (or 50), you need an engine that will NEVER FAIL FOR ANY REASON. You throw cannonball-sized chunks of hail in it and it keeps running. You throw an ostrich in it and it keeps running. You throw a frozen ostrich in it and it keeps running. You shoot at it and it keeps running. It loses all its oil and it keeps running.

You see how this quickly becomes unrealistic, right?

reidar76 wrote:
I think we will see clean sheet aircraft designed with more than two engines again, if electric engines take off.

I doubt it. The extra engine will still need maintenance, given that it will have high-speed, high-stress rotating parts. It will still have a weight (magnets aren't light). It will still need to be mounted somewhere inconvenient, like in the tail. So all the disadvantages are there without any real advantages.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the DC-10. I'm crushed I never got aboard an L-1011 or an MD-11. But I'm also realistic.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

IADFCO

Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:12 pm

Also, the engineering skills might not be there anymore. The designers who worked on the DC-10 and the L-1011 are probably retired or near retirement. Now that commercial aircraft all basically look the same, you have built great confidence in, for example, your CFD and finite element tools, and in your sizing/weight/cost math models, and you wouldn't bet the company on something new unless the payoff is really dramatic. Just look at the endless discussion on a relatively minor technical issue like circular vs elliptical fuselages.

Max Q

Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:08 am

Unfortunately we’re consigned to a future of twins

As a professional pilot and an enthusiast (nerd) I wish that wasn’t the case but that’s how it is

It’s nice to look up and see FDX /UPS MD10/ 11’s still flying though and of course 747 freighters of differencing kinds

tb727

Tue Jul 03, 2018 1:11 am

Max Q wrote:

As a professional pilot and an enthusiast (nerd) I wish that wasn’t the case but that’s how it is

It’s nice to look up and see FDX /UPS MD10/ 11’s still flying though and of course 747 freighters of differencing kinds

Don't forget the best tri-jet ever made is still making holes in the sky! Rumor has it the largest current operator of the 727 in the US(possibly world?), Kalitta is going to keep them going indefinitely instead of parking them next year.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

SEPilot

Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:12 am

The most efficient number of engines for an airplane is 1. Being that when you have only one engine and it fails a bad outcome is almost guaranteed, I cannot see that ever becoming acceptable for airliners. The next most efficient number is two. And seeing as how efficiency is the most important attribute of airliners today, and that we have the technology to make engines large enough that two of them can power anything likely to be built, I doubt very much if an airliner ever gets designed again with any other number of engines than two.
The problem with making things foolproof is that fools are so doggone ingenious...Dan Keebler

Max Q

Tue Jul 03, 2018 4:50 am

tb727 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Don't forget the best tri-jet ever made is still making holes in the sky! Rumor has it the largest current operator of the 727 in the US(possibly world?), Kalitta is going to keep them going indefinitely instead of parking them next year.

Absolutely TB,

I couldn’t agree more and I’m glad to hear
there’ll still be a few magnificent 727’s around

Check essential my friend, best wishes

chornedsnorkack

Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:57 am

How does Falcon 8X work?
What size engine would be needed for a trijet the size of Gulfstream 650ER or Global 8000?

Starlionblue

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:45 am

chornedsnorkack wrote:
How does Falcon 8X work?
What size engine would be needed for a trijet the size of Gulfstream 650ER or Global 8000?

Falcon 8X seems very legacy at this point. I can't see that design continuing when a G6550 does the same with 2 engines.

Max Q

Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:15 am

Starlionblue wrote:
chornedsnorkack wrote:
How does Falcon 8X work?

Falcon 8X seems very legacy at this point. I can't see that design continuing when a G6550 does the same with 2 engines.

Agree, I think the 3 engine Falcons do have a unique place in a small market for their
short field capabilities but the top of the market high speed, long range niche belongs to Gulfstream and Bombardier these days

Nean1

Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:15 pm

I would like to see an MOM aircraft with 2 thrusters of 35,000 pounds and 1 of 15,000 pounds of thrust in central position. This way you could take advantage of the enormous production cadence from the GTF / Leap engines with an additional centralized motorization required in critical moments.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:47 pm

Nean1 wrote:
I would like to see an MOM aircraft with 2 thrusters of 35,000 pounds and 1 of 15,000 pounds of thrust in central position. This way you could take advantage of the enormous production cadence from the GTF / Leap engines with an additional centralized motorization required in critical moments.

You might study FAR 25 and the accompanying “acceptable means of compliance” documents and performance standards before designing. That design is neither certifiable, nor economical.

gf

chornedsnorkack

Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:47 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
You might study FAR 25 and the accompanying “acceptable means of compliance” documents and performance standards before designing. That design is neither certifiable, nor economical.

Trident is a quad with three matching engines and fourth extra engine in centerline. How does the Trident fourth engine mounting work, and how do the performance requirements compute with 1 of the bigger engines out?

Matt6461

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:17 pm

We could see a tri-jet or something visually similar in the nearish future:

https://newatlas.com/nasa-starc-bli-engine/52112/

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:46 pm

chornedsnorkack wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Trident is a quad with three matching engines and fourth extra engine in centerline. How does the Trident fourth engine mounting work, and how do the performance requirements compute with 1 of the bigger engines out?

Haven’t an idea as it was certified under BCAR, which was sort of paralleled CAR 4b and SR 422. The basic design was as a tri-jet and the “booster” used only when performance on three (assuming loss of one of the three main engines) wasn’t sufficient, so the booster added thrust to the remaining two engines. Or it failed and take-off continued on three.

The booster was shutdown and fully enclosed after take-off, a requirement.

To Nean’s comment, why add the complications of a modern-day booster when any number of jet engines meeting the certification requirements are available for a twin design.

GF

Nean1

Thu Jul 05, 2018 1:37 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
chornedsnorkack wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

Haven’t an idea as it was certified under BCAR, which was sort of paralleled CAR 4b and SR 422. The basic design was as a tri-jet and the “booster” used only when performance on three (assuming loss of one of the three main engines) wasn’t sufficient, so the booster added thrust to the remaining two engines. Or it failed and take-off continued on three.

The booster was shutdown and fully enclosed after take-off, a requirement.

To Nean’s comment, why add the complications of a modern-day booster when any number of jet engines meeting the certification requirements are available for a twin design.

GF

GalaxyFlyer,

I really do not know the fact that a trireator should have all the engines of the same thrust, could you provide more details?

I understand that with a smaller, lighter engine in center position there would be a disproportionately large gain of MTOW for better performance in the condition of an inoperative engine.

This turbine in the central position, smaller and less efficient, would operate in reduced power more time than those placed in the wings. I believe that an arrangement 35 + 15 + 35 = 85,000 pounds would be reasonably equivalent to 50 + 50 = 100,000 pounds. The problem is that there is no modern turbofan in this thrust class and when they exist they will be produced at much greater cost than the GTF / Leap families.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:12 am

Why would you design a tri-motor when a twin would be much simpler and more efficient? To answer your theoretical design, no the engines do not have to be equal thrust, but the take-off, climb-out and landing must be predicated on the loss of the “most critical engine”. So, performance would be based on 35,000 + 15,000 pounds of thrust and would have to meet not, twin-engine performance but higher gradients of a tri-motor plane. And being a tri-motor, it will weigh more—more structure, more fuel burn, so 85,000 pounds in a tri-motor won’t equal 100,000 in a twin. WAT limit is 2.4% on twins and 2.7% on tris.

In any case, nobody building tris anymore for a reason—efficiency.

GF

Nean1

Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:42 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Why would you design a tri-motor when a twin would be much simpler and more efficient? To answer your theoretical design, no the engines do not have to be equal thrust, but the take-off, climb-out and landing must be predicated on the loss of the “most critical engine”. So, performance would be based on 35,000 + 15,000 pounds of thrust and would have to meet not, twin-engine performance but higher gradients of a tri-motor plane. And being a tri-motor, it will weigh more—more structure, more fuel burn, so 85,000 pounds in a tri-motor won’t equal 100,000 in a twin. WAT limit is 2.4% on twins and 2.7% on tris.

In any case, nobody building tris anymore for a reason—efficiency.

GF

GalaxyFlyer,

You know that the advantage of the number of engines is not so simple. The Dassault Falcon 7X is an incredibly capable aircraft and is not heavy. One of the most interesting aircraft of all time was Tristar.

New propellers like the PW GTF are very efficient and just like GE Leap incorporates technologies previously only available in turbofans with twice its thrust.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:01 am

Well, the Falcon are the only tri-motors in production and have been unique for 20 years now. Do you think Airbus/Boeing/Embraer/Lockheed Engineering is blind to the tri-motor design advantages? Falcon is building a 6X and I doubt they’ll build a clean sheet tri-motor again. The 7X hasn’t done all that well owing to its small cabin. Yes, very efficient and capable, but it’s not an airliner, either. It could be tailored to its mission.

Gf

seahawk

Thu Jul 05, 2018 6:15 am

A rear mounted electric fan with also help with boundary layer control is possible, but 3 jet engines are unlikely.

stratclub

Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:47 am

reidar76 wrote:

Unless some miracle happens in how electricity is stored an all electric aircraft is nothing more than a pipe dream. It just amazes me that people that are otherwise intelligent think an electric airliner is even a possibility.

chornedsnorkack

Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:16 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Well, the Falcon are the only tri-motors in production and have been unique for 20 years now. Do you think Airbus/Boeing/Embraer/Lockheed Engineering is blind to the tri-motor design advantages? Falcon is building a 6X and I doubt they’ll build a clean sheet tri-motor again. The 7X hasn’t done all that well owing to its small cabin.

6X is much smaller than Gulfstream 650ER and Global 8000 in terms of MTOW and range.
So how about a new Falcon sharing 6X cabin cross-section, but 3 engines?
Because Dassault kept developing clean sheet trijets 7X and 8X even after Falcon 2000 was a twin.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:48 pm

The 6X cabin is competitive in size and, at advertised range of 5500nm, competitive there, too. What a tri-motor advantages would there be? The average large-cabin, long-range bizjets leg is 2.5 hours, NYC-PBI, for example. Yes, some owners regularly fly long legs to Asia. Could Dassault build a 3-engine 9X, yeah, of course. The 7X was a clean sheet, the 8X a stretch of it.

The bizjet market, like the airline market, has spoken a preference for twins. North of 500 G550s, 300 G650s and nearing 800 Globals (808 recently was delivered) versus 270-ish Falcon 7X and 8Xs

GF

chornedsnorkack

Thu Jul 05, 2018 9:10 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
The 6X cabin is competitive in size and, at advertised range of 5500nm, competitive there, too.

Not against 650ER and Global 7000.
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
What a tri-motor advantages would there be?

What trimotor advantages did 7X have over 2000?
GalaxyFlyer wrote:
Could Dassault build a 3-engine 9X, yeah, of course. The 7X was a clean sheet, the 8X a stretch of it.

The bizjet market, like the airline market, has spoken a preference for twins. North of 500 G550s, 300 G650s and nearing 800 Globals (808 recently was delivered) versus 270-ish Falcon 7X and 8Xs

GF

And how about Falcon 2000-s?

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jul 06, 2018 12:26 am

Bizjet OEMs try to avoid head to head competition, preferring to have an advantage in one area—range for Gulfstream, cabin size for BBD, efficiency for Dassault. The 8X is competitive, not in brochure numbers but as a plane. Buyers put their preferences into the buying decision, not a bunch of numbers out of brochure. It’s not selling airliners where small differences in costs matter. Buyers say, “I like cabin, range, the seats, the deal, whatever matters to me” and buy. It’s an emotional move, not fact based decision.

The 7X was designed to complement the 2000, not be a replacement. Dassault pushed the idea twins were for continental missions; tris were for long range missions. Buyers haven’t bought the idea as reflected in sales. The Falcon 2000 series is approaching 600 sales, good but not great over 20+ years. I’m pretty familiar with the industry.

GF

flyingclrs727

Fri Jul 06, 2018 10:29 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

Unless 747-8F's are still in production when the A380 finishes production.

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:20 am

And it’s a.....wait for it...an amendment to the original TC, dated 30 Dec, 1969. Which, I believe, pre-dates the A380.

GF

Max Q

Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:12 am

When I win the lottery I’ll
have a Falcon 50

Like a mini 727

Dassault builds some of the most beautiful aircraft in the world and best flying from what I understand

GalaxyFlyer

Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:38 pm

Good luck keeping it in service! Cheap to buy, expensive to own.

GF

chornedsnorkack

Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:20 am

Max Q wrote:
have a Falcon 50

Like a mini 727

Dassault builds some of the most beautiful aircraft in the world and best flying from what I understand

Falcon 50 is not in production.
900 is.

stratclub

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:01 pm

Max Q wrote:
have a Falcon 50

Like a mini 727

May I suggest that this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_Global_Express would be a much better choice? Go with the IGW/increased range 6500 model. If you must have a 3 holer, a used Falcon 50 in good condition wouldn't be a bad aircraft to have in your stable though. :bigthumbsup:

Starlionblue

Mon Jul 09, 2018 1:23 pm

stratclub wrote:
Max Q wrote:
have a Falcon 50

Like a mini 727

May I suggest that this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bombardier_Global_Express would be a much better choice? Go with the IGW/increased range 6500 model. If you must have a 3 holer, a used Falcon 50 in good condition wouldn't be a bad aircraft to have in your stable though. :bigthumbsup:

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Max Q has an aircraft ownership fantasy. Kind of like I would love to own an F40. A fantasy doesn't have to be practical or rational. :D

stratclub

Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:08 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
stratclub wrote:
Max Q wrote:
have a Falcon 50

Like a mini 727

Whoa, whoa, whoa... Max Q has an aircraft ownership fantasy. Kind of like I would love to own an F40. A fantasy doesn't have to be practical or rational. :D

Sure. If your going to fantasize you might as well go large. That's why I suggested the Global. Until my fantasy goes supersonic I'm sticking with the Global or maybe a B-787 or maybe a B-747SP or..................................................

Like this maybe:

Max Q

Tue Jul 10, 2018 1:56 am

Pretty nice,

Yes this is pure fantasy, plenty of bigger,
longer ranged biz jets out there

Just something about the Falcon 50
Lots of character

stratclub

Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:39 am

Max Q wrote:
Pretty nice,

Yes this is pure fantasy, plenty of bigger,
longer ranged biz jets out there

Just something about the Falcon 50
Lots of character

Certainly the Falcon 50 is no slouch. If I had one, my fantasies wold be satisfied. Might have to fuel a little more often, but hey it is intercontinental.