richierich
Topic Author

What is proper protocol for clearing vomit on aircraft?

Tue Jun 26, 2018 3:48 pm

I know, this is a rather disgusting question but I'm asking it anyway...what is the proper procedure for cleaning vomit from a seat or carpet while in-flight?

I recently flew on Alaska Airlines PDX-BOS and somebody threw-up on the carpet in the aisle not far from my seat. There seemed to be some confusion from the flight attendants on how to clean this up, and their solution was apparently to fold a blanket on the ground and tape it to the ground. It appeared to mostly or all liquid, although I couldn't see in the darkness, but either way I thought the cover and tape approach was certainly odd. Hard to tell, but I don't think the FAs used any cleaners or donned any sort of hazmat protection.
None shall pass!!!!

jplatts

Re: What is proper protocol for clearing vomit on aircraft?

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:07 pm

Some Spirit Airlines passengers passengers have complained about Spirit not cleaning up vomit from the previous flight before the next flight.

dutchflyboi

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:10 pm

We have a powder that we sprinkle on it. It makes the vomit a substance that you can scoop up, and place it in a bio hazard bag. This powder also takes away the smell of the vomit.

idlewild

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:25 pm

I see a market for specially bred "cabin" cats and dogs to eat the majority of the dirty deed (chunks) and then have the cleaners Coe in with spot-remover spray bottles, ablazin'!

Jamake1

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:27 pm

I would think that Alaska would have an infection control kit onboard its A/C like other airlines. The kit contains all the tools needed to clean up vomit. There is a powder substance that crystalizes the vomit and neutralizes the odor. There is also a plastic scoop and accompanying flap to scoop up the crystalized substance and a red biohazard bag to place everything inside. The kit also contains a mouth and nose mask and of course latex gloves. Placing a blanket over vomit is about the worst action to take because it just spreads the bodily fluid; does nothing to neutralize the odor; and ruins a perfectly good airline blanket.
Come fly the sun.

mbm3

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:40 pm

I always thought that they had a Voban for aircraft like they do for schools. A biohazard kit makes sense.
Let Me Tell You, Landing A 772ER Is Harder Than It Looks!

kjeld0d

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:41 pm

richierich wrote:
what is the proper procedure

walk away and hope it "cleans itself up"?

enilria

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:41 pm

dutchflyboi wrote:
We have a powder that we sprinkle on it. It makes the vomit a substance that you can scoop up, and place it in a bio hazard bag. This powder also takes away the smell of the vomit.

If you had invented vomit powder, you'd be rolling in vomit money.

flyingclrs727

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:57 pm

jplatts wrote:
Some Spirit Airlines passengers passengers have complained about Spirit not cleaning up vomit from the previous flight before the next flight.

Don't they charge extra for that?

ua2162

Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:59 pm

Coffee grounds.

Folgers to be exact.

Yflyer

Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:02 pm

dutchflyboi wrote:

I remember back when I was in elementary school the custodians had something that they would sprinkle on vomit if a kid threw up in class, so I would have guessed airlines probably had something similar. Actually I'm not sure if the stuff they used in school was a special product for vomit or if it was just cat litter. Cat litter would probably work pretty well for that job, too.

Seabear

Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:19 pm

jplatts wrote:

I'm surprised they'd even notice.

jmmadrid

Tue Jun 26, 2018 6:39 pm

My brother and my sister in law were flying AIR FRANCE to Paris for their honeymoon. Just before take off, a girl a few rows down vomited all her contents and then some. The crew were informed, in turn they informed the captain, and went back to the gate. Everybody got off, cleaning services came in and then they boarded everybody again. Total delay of 2 hours. Many people on board missed their connecting flights and were sent to hotels or rebooked on other airlines. I wonder if the girl and her family were upgraded to First Class as a thank you token for their help and services rendered.

tb727

Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:51 pm

I usually ACARS maintenance and they have the HAZMAT cleaners come out. No extra charge.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Etheereal

Tue Jun 26, 2018 10:49 pm

tb727 wrote:
I usually ACARS maintenance and they have the HAZMAT cleaners come out. No extra charge.

besides missing connections, ofc.
JetBuddy wrote:
"737 slides off the runway" is the new "Florida man"..

:lol:

tb727

Tue Jun 26, 2018 11:24 pm

Etheereal wrote:
tb727 wrote:

besides missing connections, ofc.

Nah, it's just the normal cleaning crew with extra gloves and cleaner. It's not like they start ripping seats and carpet out.
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Starlionblue

Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:21 am

- Deboard passengers.
- Park the aircraft at a remote bay.
- Liberally douse the interior with petrol.
- Throw a burning rag inside.
- Stand back and watch the spectacle.

Jokes aside, there are cleaning kits on board with everything from gloves and aprons to facemasks and cleaning agents. Vomit is just one of the items that may have to be cleaned up. There's also poop.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

qf789

Wed Jun 27, 2018 1:53 am

I am an aircraft cleaner and work for one of the 2 airline groups here is Australia. As part of cleaning we provide each flight with a loo kit (supplies of toilet paper, paper towels and tissues). Also included in this kit is something called a body fluid kit which contains the cleaning agents and apron, face mask. Every 737 has 1 loo kit while on the A330's they have 2. Also provided to each aircraft is a hygiene kit. This includes 2 boxes of gloves, rubbish bags, cleaning cloths (Chux), 2 containers of Isowipes and 1 bottle of air freshener. This is what would be used while in the air and when on the ground we would spot clean the carpet if required. Ideally you want passengers to use the sick bags, in some cases if they don't vomit over the carpet they will do it in the lavs instead, we had one aircraft last week where the whole lav got a good vomit drenching.

I would take a guess that a blanket was used as they didn't have the body fluid kit on board, either from using it earlier in the flight or the aircraft wasn't stocked properly
Forum Moderator

DocLightning

Wed Jun 27, 2018 3:59 am

When I puked all over the cabin floor aboard a CP DC-10 flying from YYZ to BOG at 10yo, the crew dumped coffee grounds over it. The next morning, the cleaning crew at BOG came aboard while we were waiting for departure to SCL and a suddenly grumpy cleaner swept up the coffee grounds. There was just the faintest stain left on the carpet.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

stratclub

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:11 am

Some companies require Bio-Hazard/Blood Born Pathogen training and qualification/certification to clean up anything like vomit and blood. It could be the F/A or any other crew members did not have that qualification/certification.

strfyr51

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:44 am

richierich wrote:
I know, this is a rather disgusting question but I'm asking it anyway...what is the proper procedure for cleaning vomit from a seat or carpet while in-flight?

I recently flew on Alaska Airlines PDX-BOS and somebody threw-up on the carpet in the aisle not far from my seat. There seemed to be some confusion from the flight attendants on how to clean this up, and their solution was apparently to fold a blanket on the ground and tape it to the ground. It appeared to mostly or all liquid, although I couldn't see in the darkness, but either way I thought the cover and tape approach was certainly odd. Hard to tell, but I don't think the FAs used any cleaners or donned any sort of hazmat protection.

for a quick fix? the flight attendants could pour a bag of coffee grounds over it and sweep it up a little later. the coffee grounds will soak up the liquid and pretty much abate the smell.

aerdingus

Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:51 pm

I was working with a cabin supervisor who just poured 7up all over some puke... it dissolved it.
A306 A313 A319 A320 A321 A333 A346 A359 ATR42 ATR72 B734 B737 B738 B744 B772 B789 C152 MD80 RJ85 S340

flapsdown40

Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:26 pm

dutchflyboi wrote:

I've heard of some kind of powder that janitorial and, in this case, airline personnel, can sprinkle onto the mess to make it easier to clean up.

Does this powder basically turn any liquid or semi-liquid content into a sort of a "gel"-like consistency that makes it very easy to scoop into a bag?

Some months ago, while listening to the JFK ramp channel, a pilot on an inbound airliner radioed ahead to the base station and advised them that an airsick passenger didn't make it to the lavatory in time and dumped their load on an empty seat as well as the floor carpet. The pilot said "I understand you have special procedures to clean up things like this?" The response was "Yes, we do. We'll be sure to have the clean up crew meet the aircraft at the gate."

In addition to the gel-powder stuff, do the clean up crews use a system similar to "Stanley Steamer" or "Coit" home carpet and upholstery steam cleaning systems that use a high-vacuum extractor to really get the seats and carpet clean? I can't imagine flying inside a metal tube with the lingering smell of let's say "bodily fluids" trapped in the fabric of the seats and carpet.

To the O/P- thank you for posting this question, as I have always wondered about this myself. I'm sure it happens a lot more often than most people think.
I'm already insane but I'm not crazy!

flapsdown40

Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:34 pm

jplatts wrote:

Eewwwww :yuck: For real? If this is true, I guess that's what you get when flying on a deep-discount air carrier. I can't imagine that *someone* in the Spirit airlines flight operations crew doesn't have the means to clean up a pile of "undigested gastric contents" when this happens. Gross.
I'm already insane but I'm not crazy!

tommy1808

Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:14 pm

ua2162 wrote:
Coffee grounds.

:checkmark:
And it truly covers the smell completely for quite some time.
I once did a 10+ our test on a sold out KLM 744 after someone puked right in front of my feed. The proximity of the lav may be disturbing.... seatguru phrases it so nicely.

Best regards
Thomas
This Singature is a safe space......