Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

adi00654
Topic Author

787 type rating

Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:04 am

I just completed by CPL license and now wanted to do a type rating specially the boeing 787.
Typically I could do a type rating in 787 directly and secure a job in 787 airliners subject to airline tests ??

I mean from Ab initio period to 787 type rating then as FO??would airlines hire fresh pilots having wide body type rating ?? ( I am from India basically)..
What would be best A320/737
or777/787 ??

VSMUT

Re: 787 type rating

Fri Jun 29, 2018 11:55 am

adi00654 wrote:
I just completed by CPL license and now wanted to do a type rating specially the boeing 787.
Typically I could do a type rating in 787 directly and secure a job in 787 airliners subject to airline tests ??

I mean from Ab initio period to 787 type rating then as FO??would airlines hire fresh pilots having wide body type rating ?? ( I am from India basically)..
or777/787 ??

Forget it. Nobody is going to hire a 787 pilot with zero hours/straight outta school. Your best bet right now is probably on the ATR, especially in India. You can then work your way up when you get some experience. There's a massive shortage of ATR pilots in India.

adi00654
Topic Author

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:06 pm

VSMUT wrote:
adi00654 wrote:

or777/787 ??

Forget it. Nobody is going to hire a 787 pilot with zero hours/straight outta school. Your best bet right now is probably on the ATR, especially in India. You can then work your way up when you get some experience. There's a massive shortage of ATR pilots in India.

What about 737/A320??

VSMUT

Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:17 pm

adi00654 wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
adi00654 wrote:

or777/787 ??

What about 737/A320??

Certainly a much better option than a widebody.

I can't speak for the situation in India, but paying for your own 737 or A320 rating without a job guarantee is a bit of a dead-end in Europe. There are a lot of experienced people on those types that you need to compete with. As a zero-hour type-rated 737 or A320 pilot, your chances are probably even worse than an ATR pilot with a year or two of experience who is trying to upgrade to 737/A320.

My advice: Get your first job on something unsexy but with good job opportunities like a regional turboprop or jet. It won't take longer than a year or two before you can look into upgrading to a 737, A320 or even bigger. I know a few people who went directly from the ATR to 767, 787 or 747-8 with less than 2 years of experience.

FlyHossD

Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:08 pm

VSMUT wrote:
adi00654 wrote:

or777/787 ??

I'll second this comment. For now, focus on getting more experience; that's what will make you attractive to jet operators. How much flight time do you have?
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

BravoOne

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:08 pm

VSMUT wrote:
adi00654 wrote:

or777/787 ??

Take this excellent advice and don't waster your money on 787 type.

Starlionblue

Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:21 pm

I'll chime in with the above. Don't get a widebody type rating unless the airline that has hired you is paying for it. The objective of the first job is to get a foot in the door. It doesn't matter what you fly. It matters that you get multi-crew turbine hours. This reasoning is valid even if you end up staying at your first airline for the rest of your career.

Not many pilots go directly from flight school a widebody. Those that do are mostly hired as part of a cadet programme, and even then the job is more often than not as cruise pilot in the first few years.

VSMUT wrote:
My advice: Get your first job on something unsexy but with good job opportunities like a regional turboprop or jet. It won't take longer than a year or two before you can look into upgrading to a 737, A320 or even bigger. I know a few people who went directly from the ATR to 767, 787 or 747-8 with less than 2 years of experience.

:checkmark: :checkmark: :checkmark:

Once you have a couple of thousand hours of multi-crew turbine time, you are eligible to apply for any number of airlines, both at home and internationally. All of sudden you have a "unique skill" that differentiates you from the low-hour GA types with no work experience and importantly makes the visa hurdles in many places go away.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

adi00654
Topic Author

Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:02 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
VSMUT wrote:
adi00654 wrote:

or777/787 ??

I'll second this comment. For now, focus on getting more experience; that's what will make you attractive to jet operators. How much flight time do you have?

I have a total Flight time of 215 hours ...include 15hrs ME.
Thanks a lot guys all of them who replied and forur feedback and kindly suggest few more wise options in this case and your valuable suggestions are needed for me.

There is Indigo Jo program which includes Type rating and letter of intent from Indigo ?A320 type rating should I go on with this ??
They are in need of ATR pilots badly too
My point is that are ATR pilots are paid well on par with A320/737??I Heard indigo is paying more for type rated ATR flight crew

VSMUT

Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:36 pm

adi00654 wrote:
There is Indigo Jo program which includes Type rating and letter of intent from Indigo ?A320 type rating should I go on with this??

Depends, do you have a link to it? What are they offering, and how much do they want?
A letter of intent is just that, it means they can back away after you pay them a fortune for a rating. You need to get some feedback from others who did it as well.

adi00654 wrote:
My point is that are ATR pilots are paid well on par with A320/737??I Heard indigo is paying more for type rated ATR flight crew

My friends who work with them as expat captains, tell me that they make more on the ATR, than their colleagues on the Airbus. An Indian FO told me that he was offered €3000 pr month, fresh out of the type rating course. He did have prior experience though.
The "advantage/problem" with ATRs is that everybody is moving on as quickly as possible. This means that there is a constant flow of pilots leaving, and subsequently new ones are hired constantly, almost all with no prior experience. This is to your advantage. The salary isn't really that great to start with, but it won't be good on the Airbus either. For the first year or two you should just focus on getting the experience.

Other advantages to the ATR are:

- Lots of operators. In India alone you have Alliance Air, Jet Airways, Trujet and IndiGo. They are also expanding fast with loads of brand new planes.

- Cheap rating.

- You will learn some valuable flying skills that you will never learn on an Airbus or Boeing.

- It is really fun to fly, and you do things in an ATR that you would never do in any other airliner, except the Dash-8.

adi00654
Topic Author

Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:46 pm

VSMUT wrote:
adi00654 wrote:
There is Indigo Jo program which includes Type rating and letter of intent from Indigo ?A320 type rating should I go on with this??

Depends, do you have a link to it? What are they offering, and how much do they want?
A letter of intent is just that, it means they can back away after you pay them a fortune for a rating. You need to get some feedback from others who did it as well.

adi00654 wrote:

My friends who work with them as expat captains, tell me that they make more on the ATR, than their colleagues on the Airbus. An Indian FO told me that he was offered €3000 pr month, fresh out of the type rating course. He did have prior experience though.
The "advantage/problem" with ATRs is that everybody is moving on as quickly as possible. This means that there is a constant flow of pilots leaving, and subsequently new ones are hired constantly, almost all with no prior experience. This is to your advantage. The salary isn't really that great to start with, but it won't be good on the Airbus either. For the first year or two you should just focus on getting the experience.

Other advantages to the ATR are:

- Lots of operators. In India alone you have Alliance Air, Jet Airways, Trujet and IndiGo. They are also expanding fast with loads of brand new planes.

- Cheap rating.

- You will learn some valuable flying skills that you will never learn on an Airbus or Boeing.

- It is really fun to fly, and you do things in an ATR that you would never do in any other airliner, except the Dash-8.

Here is the link for Indigo Jfo
https://www.cae.com/civil-aviation/avia ... ating-jfo/

Starlionblue

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:01 pm

adi00654 wrote:
FlyHossD wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

I have a total Flight time of 215 hours ...include 15hrs ME.
Thanks a lot guys all of them who replied and forur feedback and kindly suggest few more wise options in this case and your valuable suggestions are needed for me.

There is Indigo Jo program which includes Type rating and letter of intent from Indigo ?A320 type rating should I go on with this ??

Don't think about pay at this stage. If you want a reliable job with good pay, become a lawyer or a surgeon, not a pilot.

It's the first few years of your career. Build experience and enjoy the flying. Think about pay and benefits later.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

pikachu

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:06 pm

Get a 747-400 rating. With 215 hours you'll be hired immediately. hahahaha.

adi00654
Topic Author

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:12 pm

pikachu wrote:

Thank you...that was way too sarcastic and I here other guys are giving good suggestions and don't you think this was unnecessary.Any ways it was a bad joke ..better luck next time

Starlionblue

Fri Jun 29, 2018 4:32 pm

adi00654 wrote:
pikachu wrote:

Thank you...that was way too sarcastic and I here other guys are giving good suggestions and don't you think this was unnecessary.Any ways it was a bad joke ..better luck next time

If you want to work in aviation, grow a thick skin. That level of sarcasm barely registers and it wasn't even malicious.

I'm not saying accept bullying but plenty of pilots are rather... outspoken...

pikachu

Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:16 am

adi00654 wrote:
pikachu wrote:

I had the pleasure of recently operating with an FO with 300 hours total time. That included 80 hours on type (widebody Boeing). Single pilot in a two crew aircraft is real my friends...

Save your time and money. I recommend you do not get a 787 type rating.

If you believe 215 hours and a type rating will make you marketable I commend your flight school for the marketing they have done.

adi00654
Topic Author

Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:03 am

pikachu wrote:
adi00654 wrote:
pikachu wrote:

I had the pleasure of recently operating with an FO with 300 hours total time. That included 80 hours on type (widebody Boeing). Single pilot in a two crew aircraft is real my friends...

Save your time and money. I recommend you do not get a 787 type rating.

If you believe 215 hours and a type rating will make you marketable I commend your flight school for the marketing they have done.

What would you recommend a A320/B737/ Atr?

Starlionblue

Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:29 am

Before spending money, I recommend you contact the relevant recruiting departments and ask for their exact requirements. You'll be able to find a lot of stuff on their websites.

FlyHossD

Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:37 am

Starlionblue wrote:
Before spending money, I recommend you contact the relevant recruiting departments and ask for their exact requirements. You'll be able to find a lot of stuff on their websites.

This is also good advice.

And good luck to you in your career.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

Starlionblue

Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:48 am

To expand on contacting the recruiting departments, your chances of being considered increase considerably if said recruiting departments feel that you've "done your homework". For example, if one of the published requirements is 20 night hours but you've only done 12, it just makes you look a bit sloppy. Tailor your applications, and indeed your ratings/licenses/hours, to what the company is asking. Airlines can easily find five other guys who meet the requirements; they won't look at you if you don't.

That's why, before spending money, you should see if recruiting values an ATR type rating or whatever. If they say "ATR Type rating preferred" it implies that with the rating your application would jump to the top of the pile with the rating (as long as you have the rest of the requirements). You can also ask specifically if they recommend applying with your current experience, and what you need to do in order to be considered. You can sometimes get very helpful advice like, "if you just do another x hours of y, this would improve your chances."

Side note: Be very polite and patient. These people hold your possible future job in their hands.

pikachu

Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:56 am

What would you recommend a A320/B737/ Atr?

I recommend you pursue a position commensurate with your experience.

It has been my observation that long haul international operations on widebody aircraft is not an ideal situation for fresh CPL pilots with a type rating.

VSMUT

Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:41 am

Starlionblue wrote:
To expand on contacting the recruiting departments, your chances of being considered increase considerably if said recruiting departments feel that you've "done your homework". For example, if one of the published requirements is 20 night hours but you've only done 12, it just makes you look a bit sloppy. Tailor your applications, and indeed your ratings/licenses/hours, to what the company is asking. Airlines can easily find five other guys who meet the requirements; they won't look at you if you don't.

That's why, before spending money, you should see if recruiting values an ATR type rating or whatever. If they say "ATR Type rating preferred" it implies that with the rating your application would jump to the top of the pile with the rating (as long as you have the rest of the requirements). You can also ask specifically if they recommend applying with your current experience, and what you need to do in order to be considered. You can sometimes get very helpful advice like, "if you just do another x hours of y, this would improve your chances."

I will second what Starlion wrote.

IMHO, before you even start considering to pay your own rating, you should look into airlines that may pay it for you. Getting the operator to pay a rating for you is much better than taking a bet on a self-sponsored rating. Even if that means a few years flying King Airs or Cessna Caravans, or working as a flight instructor. Think of something like the Spicejet plans to operate 100 Quest Kodiak seaplanes, or all the Cessna Caravan seaplane operators that are springing up across India.

adi00654
Topic Author

Sat Jun 30, 2018 7:37 am

VSMUT wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

I will second what Starlion wrote.

IMHO, before you even start considering to pay your own rating, you should look into airlines that may pay it for you. Getting the operator to pay a rating for you is much better than taking a bet on a self-sponsored rating. Even if that means a few years flying King Airs or Cessna Caravans, or working as a flight instructor. Think of something like the Spicejet plans to operate 100 Quest Kodiak seaplanes, or all the Cessna Caravan seaplane operators that are springing up across India.

In India it's shed from your own pocket but Air India provides by contract of bond and a cut in some pinch of salary amount every month for type rating fees

HAWKXP

Mon Jul 02, 2018 3:06 am

It took 1000 hours for me to realize how little I knew about flying.