Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

flapsdown40
Topic Author

What happens when a pax sitting in an overwing exit seat opens the emer. exit window while taxiing?

Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:38 pm

There are a couple of videos on Youtube where a passenger who was sitting in an overwing exit seat popped the window panel out, then jumped out of the plane while still on the ground.

Naturally, the planes needed to return to the gate so the passengers could be loaded onto a replacement aircraft.

Regarding the aircraft on which the overwing exit window/panel was removed, does the aircraft need to go through a complete pressurization system check before it can be designated as safe to resume flight?

Somewhat related to the aircraft's pressurization system, are *all* of the emergency drop-down oxygen masks replaced for sanitary reasons if they were actually used during the flight? I've heard of those odd occasions when the masks dropped for no reason- no pressurization problems, no other emergency conditions on board, etc. I've heard that some really hard landings have caused the masks to drop.

In a case like that, where none of the oxygen masks were used after a hard landing, does the maintenance crew simply come through the plane after it has landed (and after all of the pax have de-boarded) and stuff the masks back into the overhead panel? It must take a couple to several hours to do this, depending on whether the aircraft in question is a B737 or a B777 or an A380.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Flapsdown40
I'm already insane but I'm not crazy!

stratclub

Re: What happens when a pax sitting in an overwing exit seat opens the emer. exit window while taxiing?

Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:11 pm

If the masks were actually used, the PSU (Passenger Service Unit) would be removed and sent to a back shop for repair. Masks would most likely be cleaned and reused.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passenger_service_unit

fr8mech

Re: What happens when a pax sitting in an overwing exit seat opens the emer. exit window while taxiing?

Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:16 pm

So long as a slide isn’t blown, the door is reinstalled and the aircraft can depart. There is, or at least was, no requirement to pressurize the aircraft. It is just a door, after all.
When seconds count, the police are minutes away.
It’s hard to win an argument with a smart person, but it’s damn near impossible to win an argument with a stupid person. ~B. Murray
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

strfyr51

Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:52 pm

flapsdown40 wrote:
There are a couple of videos on Youtube where a passenger who was sitting in an overwing exit seat popped the window panel out, then jumped out of the plane while still on the ground.

Naturally, the planes needed to return to the gate so the passengers could be loaded onto a replacement aircraft.

Regarding the aircraft on which the overwing exit window/panel was removed, does the aircraft need to go through a complete pressurization system check before it can be designated as safe to resume flight?

Somewhat related to the aircraft's pressurization system, are *all* of the emergency drop-down oxygen masks replaced for sanitary reasons if they were actually used during the flight? I've heard of those odd occasions when the masks dropped for no reason- no pressurization problems, no other emergency conditions on board, etc. I've heard that some really hard landings have caused the masks to drop.

In a case like that, where none of the oxygen masks were used after a hard landing, does the maintenance crew simply come through the plane after it has landed (and after all of the pax have de-boarded) and stuff the masks back into the overhead panel? It must take a couple to several hours to do this, depending on whether the aircraft in question is a B737 or a B777 or an A380.

Flapsdown40

To answer each question.
if the over-wing door is opened? you just inspect the door for damage and reinstall the door after checking the off wing Slide has not been Deployed (on acft with an off wng slide)
The Emergency masks are mostly if not ALL powered by Chemical oxygen generators. If the masks are dropped the passenger still has to deploy the generator by pulling on the mask. In that case the airplane cannot be dispatched at any altitude above 10,000 ft. with passengers on it. In my 35+ years I've seen that happen once. The airplane (A B737-300 w)as out of service for 28 hours as we replaced all the Oxygen Generators Trucked up from Southern California. The Generators cannot be air shipped anymore.

Lpbri

Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:54 pm

737s do not have wing slides. If an over wing door is opened, it just opens upward, driven by a spring.

strfyr51

Sat Jun 30, 2018 11:58 pm

strfyr51 wrote:
flapsdown40 wrote:

Flapsdown40

To answer each question.
if the over-wing door is opened? you just inspect the door for damage and reinstall the door after checking the off wing Slide has not been Deployed (on acft with an off wng slide)
The Emergency masks are mostly if not ALL powered by Chemical oxygen generators. If the masks are dropped the passenger still has to deploy the generator by pulling on the mask. In that case the airplane cannot be dispatched at any altitude above 10,000 ft. with passengers on it. In my 35+ years I've seen that happen once. The airplane (A B737-300 w)as out of service for 28 hours as we replaced all the Oxygen Generators Trucked up from Southern California. The Generators cannot be air shipped anymore.

If the masks just dropped? The maintenance crew would have to Repack the masks and close the doors. Either then, or a point in no more than 3 days, a mask drop test would need to be accomplished.

planenutok

Sun Jul 01, 2018 1:30 am

If the masks are dropped mechanics simply inspect the mask for damage, make sure the O2 gen wasnt triggered and repacks the mask back into the PSU. If an O2 gen was activated we can either change the entire PSU with a new gen or change just the O2 generator. And yes it can take several hours for 1 mechanic to restow the masks on a regional jet can't imagine how long it would take on a widebody.

TSS

Sun Jul 01, 2018 8:43 am

Lpbri wrote:
737s do not have wing slides. If an over wing door is opened, it just opens upward, driven by a spring.

I thought 737s had simple "plug" doors in the over wing positions that in the case of an emergency you unlatched, pulled inwards, and laid across the exit row seats. Am I confusing the MD80 procedure with the one for a 737?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

pikachu

Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:04 am

Better determine what model is being discussed. The -100 might have a different arrangement than the Max.

pikachu

Sun Jul 01, 2018 9:05 am

Better determine what model is being discussed. The -100 might have a different arrangement than the Max.

AirKevin

Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:22 am

TSS wrote:
Lpbri wrote:

I thought 737s had simple "plug" doors in the over wing positions that in the case of an emergency you unlatched, pulled inwards, and laid across the exit row seats. Am I confusing the MD80 procedure with the one for a 737?

I think the older 737s were as you described. Not so much with the newer ones.
Captain Kevin

Dalmd88

Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:37 pm

I think there is an interlock on the new 737 outward opening doors that prevents them from being opened with the engines running. On most plug type if the aircraft is even slightly pressurized they are impossible to open.

With the masks, repacking an entire plane sucks. It can take hours. Changing out generators and masks entirely can take multiple shifts depending on how many are doing it and the aircraft type. I know at DL we leave the PSU in place and change them on the aircraft.

yeelep

Sun Jul 01, 2018 7:37 pm

737-100 through -500 has a plug type door that is removed from the opening. All NG/MAX have a door that is hinged at the top and pivots outward and up. Activation of the flight interlock, on the NG/MAX, requires 3 of 4 entry/service doors closed, 1 engine running and both thrust levers above 53% or aircraft in the air mode.

TSS

Mon Jul 02, 2018 5:18 am

yeelep wrote:
737-100 through -500 has a plug type door that is removed from the opening. All NG/MAX have a door that is hinged at the top and pivots outward and up.

Ahh, that explains my confusion. About half the 737s I've flown on, including the very first one after numerous flights on MD80s, were 737 Classics and would have had the plug doors. Let me then serve as an example of why you should always thoroughly read the "In Case Of Emergency" card on every individual aircraft you board, even if you're familiar with the escape procedures for that general type, because stuff does change from time to time.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

stratclub

Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:20 am

Old style 737 plug style overwing hatch:

Newer style "spring loaded" 737 overwing hatch.

flapsdown40
Topic Author

Sat Jul 14, 2018 3:23 pm

If the masks just dropped? The maintenance crew would have to Repack the masks and close the doors. Either then, or a point in no more than 3 days, a mask drop test would need to be accomplished.[/quote]

So basically you're saying the maintenance crews would spend x hours repacking the masks and closing the little doors that cover the masks, only to have to conduct a mask drop test in 3 days or less to make sure they really do drop if needed. Then after that drop-test, the maintenance crew would once again have to go through the entire plane to re-pack the oxygen masks again, correct? So after the drop test and 2nd repacking, is the emergency oxygen mask deployment system deemed to be in operational status once again?
I sincerely hope my post made any sense.
I'm already insane but I'm not crazy!

stratclub

Sat Jul 14, 2018 4:03 pm

No they would not just cram the mask in there and assume the mask may or may not be packed correctly, close the door and and MEL the masks to be checked within 3 days.They would repack the masks per the maintenance manual procedure. I do not know were the "3 day" reference came from.

If there is any possibility that that the masks might not function properly in an emergency, it would be a no fly item.

Max Q

Sun Jul 15, 2018 2:47 am

Those newer exits on the NG are a much neater solution than the old
plugs which required lifting out and then finding a place for in a crowded cabin of panicked passengers

These are a big advance, in fact I think Boeing was mandated to make that change by airworthiness authorities
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

7BOEING7

Sun Jul 15, 2018 4:05 am

Max Q wrote:
Those newer exits on the NG are a much neater solution ...

These are a big advance, in fact I think Boeing was mandated to make that change by airworthiness authorities

I believe it was the European authorities. IIRC several NG’s were built with the old doors before the switchover.

stratclub

Sun Jul 15, 2018 5:39 pm

Max Q wrote:
plugs which required lifting out and then finding a place for in a crowded cabin of panicked passengers

IIRC, with the old style, you were suppose to throw them out on the wing, I would guess preferably forward so people wouldn't trip on them. The spring loaded ones are an improvement, but the springs in them are very strong and it takes some brute force to close them.

7BOEING7

Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:08 pm

stratclub wrote:
Max Q wrote:

IIRC, with the old style, you were suppose to throw them out on the wing, I would guess preferably forward so people wouldn't trip on them. The spring loaded ones are an improvement, but the springs in them are very strong and it takes some brute force to close them.

You have the option, inside or outside, as long as they do not "obstruct egress" wherever you put them. Being rather heavy, throwing them outside may not be the preferable option.

stratclub

Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:58 pm

I can'r remember which one, but the instruction to throw it out on the wing were on an airlines passenger emergency card. I don't think they wanted you to hand it to the little old lady that was behind you.................

7BOEING7

Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:20 pm

stratclub wrote:
I can'r remember which one, but the instruction to throw it out on the wing were on an airlines passenger emergency card. I don't think they wanted you to hand it to the little old lady that was behind you.................

Boeing ops manual gives the option, the airline can do either or both.