LAXffDUB
Topic Author

Arrangements for aircraft parked overnight

Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:38 pm

Hi, all!

I hope someone can answer this question. When aircraft are overnighting what precautions are taken if there will be freezing temperatures?

I've seen aircraft parked at a remote stand from the night before when I've been getting an early flight on a cold morning. It's made me wonder how they keep the water and waste tanks from icing up and possibly rupturing, along with whatever other liquids may be stored in the galleys. I'm under the impression the aircraft is unheated and completely powered down as they are dark with no power carts to be seen. Are those tanks drained before being parked or are they just extremely well insulated as they would experience such temperatures in flight?

Thanks!

KAUSpilot

Re: Arrangements for aircraft parked overnight

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:16 pm

No precautions are taken, at least where I work. The water/waste tanks can and do freeze. Once the airplane is powered up they are heated and thaw out within an hour or so. The waste/water systems are heated electrically on most types AFAIK. They are not filled to capacity with fluid so they don't rupture when the fluid freezes.

I had one of my first officers take a massive "number 2" shortly after arriving to the aircraft when it was about -15 C outside and the a/c had been sitting remotely overnight. The lav would not flush (it was an older blue juice lav system, not the newer vacuum type). Quite the hilarious situation when the flight attendants began their pre-flight inspections shortly thereafter. I'm sure he blamed it on me though.

Basically, as long as the jet fuel isn't below its freezing point (usually about -40 C) it'll be OK.

WPvsMW

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:21 pm

Was the plane within MTOW after the "incident"? :rotfl:

JAGflyer

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:58 pm

For the Canadian winters (below -10) at the minimum, a heater cart should be put on the aircraft to keep the potable water system lines from freezing/cracking. If a heater cart is not available, the only option is to keep the APU running to provide heat.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

32andBelow

Sat Jul 07, 2018 8:59 pm

JAGflyer wrote:
For the Canadian winters (below -10) at the minimum, a heater cart should be put on the aircraft to keep the potable water system lines from freezing/cracking. If a heater cart is not available, the only option is to keep the APU running to provide heat.

A lot of arctic airlines just de activate the potable water systems.

fr8mech

Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:12 am

We drain the water on ours when it is below freezing and the aircraft will layover for over 6 hours, but we are a cargo operator.
When seconds count...the authorities are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.

mchei

Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:14 am

I once took a Eurowings flight from OSL to HAM during winter time. It was the last flight of the evening arriving at 10 pm or so. It was around 0 degrees Celsius. The plane was parked at an apron position (there was some construction going on) and the crew left together with the the passengers and were taken to the terminal with the one and only bis that had been sent to pick us up (the flight was close to empty and we were in the bus around 10 minutes after landing. The plane was left with some lights still on so I guess maintenance took care of powering it down.

yvr2018

Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:26 am

Where I work for mainline aircraft we don't have to do anything, for CRJ and E-175 we have to drain the potable water and on one carrier for the 175 we also have to purge the water lines, which is simply going into the aircraft cabin after draining the water and pushing the faucet on the sinks a few times, as well as the water spigot in the galley used for hot water. We do lavs on all RON's so those tanks are emptied every night of the year.

We don't typically run the heater overnight, and just turn it on 1 hour before departure.

Dalmd88

Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:29 pm

When I worked in BOS we drained they systems if the weather forecast called for freezing temps.