Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Erau82
Topic Author

Question on 737NG MLG Visual Indicator

Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:33 pm

I have a question on the MLG visual indicator (pop-up) that is on the 737NG. We received as part of a MLG for overhaul the teleflex cable that connects between the MLG and the pop-up indicator. This is not part of the MLG that is overhauled and in order to return it to the customer, I'm in need of finding the P/N of this teleflex cable. I've searched the aircraft IPC under ATA 32 and 57 and don't seem to find it. I don't have access to any other IPC sections. Any assistance would be appreciated.

JustAnFO

Re: Question on 737NG MLG Visual Indicator

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:26 pm

I am not a mechanic, but I have flown the 737NG for 10+ years... there is no mechanical pop-up indicator for the MLG that I’m aware of. That sounds like a McD indicator... the DC9 and DC10 series use mechanical indicators in the wings (among other aircraft). Are you sure it’s from a 737?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stratclub

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:11 pm

I don't have current 737 experience but going by memory, if it was on the left main gear, it would be the ground spoiler interlock valve cable.

stratclub

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:51 pm

Almost forgot. The cable would be in chapter 27 Flight Controls. Check the Alpha-Numeric index in the IPC if you have access to it. Most likely it can not be overhauled and would be replaced if it was not airworthy. Since you are doing a gear O/H, just replace it.

yeelep

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:18 am

stratclub is correct, except the cable is attached to the right mlg not the left.

Nobody will be able to give you the correct p/n without the ipc effectivity code for the airplane. It will be in ipc 27-62-61. P/N will be similar to 580-250-4xx

stratclub

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:38 am

Thanks for the correction. It's been a long time since I worked on a single isle Boeing.

Something that's worth it's weight in gold if you have multiple customers is a non customized IPC. If you are lucky enough to find a P/N on the part, you just go to the Alpha-Numerical index and it gives you every figure in the IPC were that part resides in and at the end of the tabulated data for each figure is the effectivity so you can prove the part is effective for the aircraft when you order the part.

Max Q

Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:13 am

Pop up indicators on a Boeing ?

I’ve only seen these on MD aircraft, we had them on the -80 and I know the DC9 and DC10 had them

Boeing aircraft usually have a viewing port to verify gear extension and lock accessed by pulling up a section of carpet in the cabin

The location is marked by a small red dot on the adjacent overhead bin
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

GGg

FlyHossD

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:28 pm

Max Q wrote:
Boeing aircraft usually have a viewing port to verify gear extension and lock accessed by pulling up a section of carpet in the cabin

The location is marked by a small red dot on the adjacent overhead bin

The 737s up through the Classics have a viewport, but the NGs do not. The 737NGs have a second set of gear position lights on the upper overhead panel.
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

Erau82
Topic Author

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:48 pm

Much appreciated Stratclub and Yeelep! Agree - I don't have a full non-customized IPC for the NG's but based on the partial P/N was able to determine it is Boeing P/N 10-61337-13 or P/N 580-250-451 from Cablecraft.

Keep 'em High and Level.

Regards

stratclub

Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:32 am

The 10 dash P/N is Boeing's P/N while the other number is the vendors P/N. The 10 dash P/N could have several vendor P/N's applicable for it.

Almost forgot. A call to your customer's purchase agent or tech pub library could tell you the applicable 10 dash Boeing P/N along with qualifying vendor P/N's from their customized IPC. As a Repair Station, your suppose to overhaul the gear IAW their tech data anyway.

Keep 'em High and Level...................................And making money.