Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

8herveg
Topic Author

Anyone know any airline graduate schemes where you don't need a 2:1 degree to get onto it?

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:02 am

Having had an interest in aviation for many years, I have decided that I want to take my interest to the next level and pursue a career in aviation, ideally working for an airline. I am based in London and have looked at the graduate training schemes offered by the likes of BA, EasyJet, TUI etc., but all of them require a minimum of a 2:1 degree. Unfortunately, I have a 2:2 (missed by only a few points!).

Does anyone know any other airlines where this isn't required - or perhaps know another route in which to get into the industry?

I graduated in 2009 and have 4-5 years' experience in event management, working for a restaurant group, and 4-5 years' experience in recruitment.

I like the look of the 'commercial' schemes where you cover sales, marketing and revenue management.

Any help appreciated.

RichardWelling

Re: Anyone know any airline graduate schemes where you don't need a 2:1 degree to get onto it?

Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:49 am

I know LH has their IAP programme which encompasses gaining experience across all business units within LH. Whilst attending the IAP program, you will be sent to an LH outstation to gain hands on experience in PAX and Cargo handling along with sales processes.

If you have already graduated from university/college. Why not gain some work expereince in the middle east? EK and QR are always hiring. Just put in two years of your time at EK or QR, as soon as you come back to the UK, anybody will hire you based upon the experience and the brand name of previous employer.

RichardWelling

Re: Anyone know any airline graduate schemes where you don't need a 2:1 degree to get onto it?

Mon Aug 20, 2018 8:23 am

I think it would be best to apply the experience the OP he/she has towards an airline. CLA at LHR is hiring and no prior experience is necessary:

https://www.indeed.co.uk/viewjob?jk=fa02991181ecc1fb&from=serp&vjs=3

Panalpina also has an apprenticeship program. It may not be an airline but it will help him get his foot in the door:

https://www.indeed.co.uk/cmp/Tile-Business/jobs/Apprentice-International-Freight-Forwarding-6888e364925a514d?vjs=3

davidjohnson6

Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 pm

Richard Welling has the right idea. A person aged 21 fresh out of university with no experience in the corporate sector has relatively little to show for themselves - hence the obsession with a 2:1
Those who have a few years of corporate sector experience are able to talk about it in an interview and show what they can (or can't !) do. A couple of years in the sandpit with EK / QR will give your CV the credibility you desire - I very much doubt anyone, apart from those who like to tick boxes, will care by the end of 2 years what degree you have

lutfi

Tue Oct 02, 2018 1:41 am

Probably best to try and 'work your way up' rather than a grad training scheme. Get a job as cabin crew/ ground staff and then apply internally for vacancies

TWA772LR

Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:58 am

RichardWelling wrote:
I know LH has their IAP programme which encompasses gaining experience across all business units within LH. Whilst attending the IAP program, you will be sent to an LH outstation to gain hands on experience in PAX and Cargo handling along with sales processes.

If you have already graduated from university/college. Why not gain some work expereince in the middle east? EK and QR are always hiring. Just put in two years of your time at EK or QR, as soon as you come back to the UK, anybody will hire you based upon the experience and the brand name of previous employer.

Does LH hire Americans for that program?
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

RichardWelling

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:13 am

The LH IAP programme accepts applicants from all over.

davidjohnson6 wrote:
Richard Welling has the right idea. A person aged 21 fresh out of university with no experience in the corporate sector has relatively little to show for themselves - hence the obsession with a 2:1
Those who have a few years of corporate sector experience are able to talk about it in an interview and show what they can (or can't !) do. A couple of years in the sandpit with EK / QR will give your CV the credibility you desire - I very much doubt anyone, apart from those who like to tick boxes, will care by the end of 2 years what degree you have

Its pretty common for young graduates to put their two years in the sand pit to come back home and get their dream job. Besides most airlines in the sandpit will probably pay for their employees schooling while they are working for said company.

FlyingLaw1

Tue Oct 02, 2018 4:42 am

Get a law degree and an LLM in International Aviation Law... It works great.....

Snark aside... I gathered you're in the UK so I can't really speak much about programs there... But there are several programs in the U.S. A friend of mine who is an American Airlines Captain has an Airline Management masters from embry riddle.

Starlionblue

Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:31 am

davidjohnson6 wrote:

Bingo. The extent of my current employer's caring about what degree I had, or my grade point average, was limited to the queries, "does he have at least a bachelor's degree?" and "can he prove it?" during the interview process.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo