Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

speedbird52
Topic Author

How many aircraft are double jetways pratical for?

Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:41 am

On 747s, the front jetway can service passengers in the front cabin, nose, and upper deck. On some configurations that can be nearly 70 people or more. However, on other aircraft double jetways just seem so impractical. 1l is almost always in front of a First Class cabin or a small business class cabin, meaning very few people actually benefit from the extra jetway. I can hardly think of any aircraft that actually get practical usage of two jetways, the 744, 748, A346, 78J, and 779 come to mind, but does it really make sense to have so much extra infrastructure for so few planes? What are your thoughts

Pacific

Re: How many aircraft are double jetways pratical for?

Sun Sep 23, 2018 7:09 am

They help in reducing deboarding times for any widebody. Once they let all the F and C passengers off, it becomes one aisle, one door for Y.

ChrisKen

Sun Sep 23, 2018 10:07 am

speedbird52 wrote:
On 747s, the front jetway can service passengers in the front cabin, nose, and upper deck.

A jetway cannot be used on a 747 upper deck. Emergency exit only. It's designed operation is also incompatible.

You could however attach a jetway to the L1 & L2 doors simultaneously if you really wanted to but there's no great advantage in doing so.

speedbird52
Topic Author

Sun Sep 23, 2018 11:31 pm

ChrisKen wrote:
speedbird52 wrote:
On 747s, the front jetway can service passengers in the front cabin, nose, and upper deck.

A jetway cannot be used on a 747 upper deck. .

No, but passengers who's seats are on the upper deck can board from 1l and access the stairs from 1l rather than from 2l

kalvado

Mon Sep 24, 2018 2:09 am

I (de)boarded a 737 through a double jetway arrangement a few times. It does help from a passenger perspective, especially on arrival when you're in the very back. Is it cost effective? I guess not.

ChrisKen

Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:23 am

speedbird52 wrote:
No, but passengers who's seats are on the upper deck can board from 1l and access the stairs from 1l rather than from 2l

(I misread your OP as attaching the jetway to Upper Deck Left.)

But the stairs to the upper deck are by L2.
Which is why most (I believe) 747 operators attach to L2. In general, premium passengers turn left or go straight up the stairs and the 'riff-raff' turn right.

Dual jetways attached to a 747's L1 & 2 usually means, premium pax board through L1 and the rest L2. This does happen depending on the airline and location but the single L2 is more common.

trijetsonly

Mon Sep 24, 2018 10:09 am

From time to time I get an A321 with jetways on 1L and 2L.
I like that as the struggle with hand baggage is always the reason for long queues in the aisle and jetways. Boardings through two doors reduces that a bit. This applies for boarding and deboarding.
Happy Landings