ro1960
Topic Author

Refuelling time question

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:39 pm

A friend of mine recently flew from DFW to CDG. His flight was delayed 2,5 hours on departure. I tracked the flight and the aircraft used (AA B772 N766AN) and noticed that it was schedule to land in DFW from NRT at 4:25pm for a 5:15pm departure to CDG:

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/n766an

It seems way to short to turn around an aircraft after an 11-hour flight. I know refuelling can take quite some time with wide bodies and it must have certainly played a role in the late departure.

So I came to wonder how long it takes to fully refuel an aircraft like a 772? I'll be curious to know for other current aircraft as well.
You may like my airport photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/aeroports

Tristarsteve

Re: Refueling time question

Sat Oct 06, 2018 7:42 pm

Fuelling is not the problem. You can always refuel an aircraft in the time it takes to offload pax/clean cabin/recater/load pax. The critical path with a quick turnround is always the cabin.

zeke

Re: Refuelling time question

Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:02 pm

Probably looking at around 35 minutes to refill from empty to the required level at 2.4 tonnes per minute, however they would still have the fuel onboard from the inbound sector so closer to 30 minutes.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

ro1960
Topic Author

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:22 pm

Tristarsteve wrote:
Fuelling is not the problem. You can always refuel an aircraft in the time it takes to offload pax/clean cabin/recater/load pax. The critical path with a quick turnround is always the cabin.

I imagine but I was interested to know if on such a short turnaround the refueling of a wide body had an impact.

ro1960
Topic Author

Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:27 pm

zeke wrote:
Probably looking at around 35 minutes to refill from empty to the required level at 2.4 tonnes per minute, however they would still have the fuel onboard from the inbound sector so closer to 30 minutes.

Thanks for the info. Are both sides refueled at the same time to gain time? How many nozzles are used?

Starlionblue

Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:39 pm

ro1960 wrote:
Tristarsteve wrote:

I imagine but I was interested to know if on such a short turnaround the refueling of a wide body had an impact.

I think the only real "impact" is on operational procedure, but the procedure would probably not need to be changed.

Typically fueling starts well before we get the final zero fuel weight, with a standby figure a few tons lower than the preliminary required fuel quantity. That way when we get the final zero fuel weight and work out the final fuel figure, all that is needed is a top up for the last few tonnes.

For a short turn, just give the fueler the standby figure as early as possible.

In some cases, for example at airports where fueling with pax onboard is not permitted, fueling will begin before the crew even arrives.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Woodreau

Tue Oct 09, 2018 1:42 am

ro1960 wrote:
zeke wrote:

Thanks for the info. Are both sides refueled at the same time to gain time? How many nozzles are used?

It's most likely a single point fueling. The fuel is distributed by the fuel computer into the appropriate tanks.

As an off-topic fueling topic - my ship could accept two-dual STREAM fueling rigs from the replenishment tanker. So through 4 simultaneous fueling connections, it takes about 14 hours to take on 1.5 million gallons of fuel. 1.1 million for the ship and 400k JP-5 for the jets and helos.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

wpnstroop

Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:30 am

You also need to factor in the fact that a large percentage of people that work at airports are in no hurry to do much of anything.

Starlionblue

Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:37 am

wpnstroop wrote:
You also need to factor in the fact that a large percentage of people that work at airports are in no hurry to do much of anything.

That hasn't been my experience in most of the most places I fly to. There tends to be quite a "get things done" attitude in the air.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

Tristarsteve

Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:57 am

Not often. You need to be filling over around 90 tonnes of fuel before using two fuel vehicles becomes worthwhile.
One hydrant dispenser with two hoses is quite adequate for most refueling operations.
The only time that two vehicles becomes necessary is maybe a B744 transit. I used to refuel B744 at ARN for Malaysian which were on transit, JFK-ARN-KUL. If they were running late we had 75 min transit time, and departure fuel load of 130 tonnes, and then we found that using fueling vehicles on both sides helped. Doing the same transit with a B777, which needed much less fuel, a single vehicle was adequate.

ro1960
Topic Author

Tue Oct 09, 2018 3:25 pm

wpnstroop wrote:

What do you call a large percentage? Do you have a source for that? Or is it just a baseless judgment on a certain kind of aviation workers?

stratclub

Tue Oct 09, 2018 4:30 pm

wpnstroop wrote:

Really. In any mix of professions there will always be a mix of all types of people all with different capabilities and motivations. Your comment is a slap in the face to the majority of people that are dedicated and motivated to being a valued asset to their employer.

exFWAOONW

Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:33 pm

Quit feeding the troll and get back on topic. You hope the single-point wasn't MEL'd. Filling by gravity takes even longer.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?

stratclub

Tue Oct 16, 2018 11:01 pm

exFWAOONW wrote:
Quit feeding the troll and get back on topic. You hope the single-point wasn't MEL'd. Filling by gravity takes even longer.

That could be a long miserable afternoon of sitting on top of the wing especially if weather was terrible. In 30 some odd years, I've never gravity fueled a heavy. The 787 did away with drip sticks and over wing fuel caps.

Max Q

Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:47 am

Woodreau wrote:
ro1960 wrote:
zeke wrote:

It's most likely a single point fueling. The fuel is distributed by the fuel computer into the appropriate tanks.

As an off-topic fueling topic - my ship could accept two-dual STREAM fueling rigs from the replenishment tanker. So through 4 simultaneous fueling connections, it takes about 14 hours to take on 1.5 million gallons of fuel. 1.1 million for the ship and 400k JP-5 for the jets and helos.

Which ship was that WD ?
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

Woodreau

Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:16 am

Just a tiny amphibious assault ship

Carriers don’t have to worry about fuel for itself other that what it needs for emergency generators and portable damage control equipment. It just uses JP-5 from what is allocated for its aircraft for that purpose.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

LH707330

Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:39 pm

stratclub wrote:
exFWAOONW wrote:

That could be a long miserable afternoon of sitting on top of the wing especially if weather was terrible. In 30 some odd years, I've never gravity fueled a heavy. The 787 did away with drip sticks and over wing fuel caps.

Where do other heavies have the gravity-feed caps? Are they out near the tips due to the dihedral?

wpnstroop

Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:07 am

I base it on personal observations from the last 29 years of my life spent on commercial airports as a mechanic for major airlines. Feel pretty qualified to make that statement regarding airport personnel and their demeanors.

stratclub

Tue Feb 05, 2019 8:56 am

LH707330 wrote:
stratclub wrote:
exFWAOONW wrote:

Where do other heavies have the gravity-feed caps? Are they out near the tips due to the dihedral?

Ah, no. The 747 has over wing fuel caps near the wing root. With the aircraft fueled to VTO (Volumetric Top Off), if you removed the over wing fuel caps, most likely fuel would come pouring out.

Balerit

Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:26 pm

When SAA had to fly around the bulge of Africa we would fuel the 747-200's to max which was s about 162000 kg's and it would take about 2 hours. The dispenser would have two hoses connected and often one of the other dispensing trucks with a bit of spare time would hook up on the r/h wing for maybe 30 minutes. We would often just finish before doors closed.
Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineer (retired).