Purplepoulpe
Topic Author

A320 not calling out the minimas ?

Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:12 pm

Hey guys !

I came across that video of a landing with a 320 and I was surprised not to hear the "minimums" call out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4UsoS_lBEo&t=14s

All the rest is here, all the call outs for the altitude but not the minimums...
You can barely hear one of the pilots call "100 above" and "minimums" but isn't the plane supposed to do it ?
Is it airline or airport related or something ?

Thanks

26point2

Re: A320 not calling out the minimas ?

Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:26 pm

It’s a visual approach. I don’t know how Airbus or this particular airline does things but on the plane I fly, a Bombardier product corporate jet, the only time “Minimums” is called out is when the approach minimums are set by the pilot in the PFD. We don’t set approach minimums during visual approaches. That’s how it works in the GLEX anyway.

BoeingGuy

Tue Nov 13, 2018 4:04 pm

26point2 wrote:
It’s a visual approach. I don’t know how Airbus or this particular airline does things but on the plane I fly, a Bombardier product corporate jet, the only time “Minimums” is called out is when the approach minimums are set by the pilot in the PFD. We don’t set approach minimums during visual approaches. That’s how it works in the GLEX anyway.

That’s how it works on a Boeing airplane too. It’s based on the minimums setting on the Captain’s PFD. Also, there is a large selection of which combination of altitude callouts you want, some of which don’t include the MINIMUMS callout. Thus, some airplanes don’t even have it.

N766UA

Tue Nov 13, 2018 8:03 pm

Pretty sure you have to set the minimums to get the call on every airplane. If it isn’t set, it won’t say it because 1: it has no idea what the minimums are, and 2: they aren’t required.

Purplepoulpe
Topic Author

Wed Nov 14, 2018 12:00 pm

Thanks for the answers guys !

The pilots are calling the minimums, so there are minimums, plus, judging on the description they're doing an ILS.
But it's the fact that they are calling it themselves instead of the plane doing it that's weird to me...

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:31 pm

Aviation did it that way for about 40 years, tried and true

ZaphodHarkonnen

Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:46 pm

Purplepoulpe wrote:
Thanks for the answers guys !

The pilots are calling the minimums, so there are minimums, plus, judging on the description they're doing an ILS.
But it's the fact that they are calling it themselves instead of the plane doing it that's weird to me...

I imagine it's entirely up to personal preference when it isn't required by other policies.

eidvm

Wed Nov 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Older A320 aircraft don’t call out minimums or hundred above for CAT I, or Non-Precision approaches, only CAT II/III approaches, this was changed with a modification on newer builds so all approaches get a 100 Above and Minimums auto-callout.

BoeingGuy

Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:43 pm

eidvm wrote:
Older A320 aircraft don’t call out minimums or hundred above for CAT I, or Non-Precision approaches, only CAT II/III approaches, this was changed with a modification on newer builds so all approaches get a 100 Above and Minimums auto-callout.

What system does the Altitude Callouts on Airbus airplanes? Is it GPWS or something else?

On all Boeing airplanes except the KC-46, EGPWS does the Altitude and V1 callouts. On the KC-46, the Warning System generates the callouts.

Acey559

Fri Nov 16, 2018 6:32 pm

My airline doesn’t have a MINIMUMS call. All those call outs are airline specific as far as I’m aware. We get the 2500 call and then don’t get anything until 50, 40, 30, 20, 10. Everything else is up to us and is part of our manuals under callouts. I think the reasoning is to keep us more engaged in the approach. Either that or they’re just cheap and didn’t want to pay for the extra callouts. :D
In Dixie Land I'll take my stand to live and die in Dixie.

BoeingGuy

Fri Nov 16, 2018 9:37 pm

Acey559 wrote:
My airline doesn’t have a MINIMUMS call. All those call outs are airline specific as far as I’m aware. We get the 2500 call and then don’t get anything until 50, 40, 30, 20, 10. Everything else is up to us and is part of our manuals under callouts. I think the reasoning is to keep us more engaged in the approach. Either that or they’re just cheap and didn’t want to pay for the extra callouts. :D

The callout options are all free, at least on Boeing airplanes (but I think you were joking). As I mentioned above, there's a menu of like 100 different combinations of altitude callouts that you can select in EGPWS. Some don't have MINIMUMS. IIRC, at least one option says "DECIDE" instead of "MINIMUMS".

A lot of customers take 50, 30, 10 for their lowest callouts. Some take 50, 40, 30, 20, 10, but some find that to be too cluttered.

Not sure how Airbus does it.

Starlionblue

Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:13 am

BoeingGuy wrote:
eidvm wrote:

What system does the Altitude Callouts on Airbus airplanes? Is it GPWS or something else?

On all Boeing airplanes except the KC-46, EGPWS does the Altitude and V1 callouts. On the KC-46, the Warning System generates the callouts.

On the A330, the synthetic voice is generated by the Flight Warning Computer. On the A350, by the Flight Warning System.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo