TriL1011Star
Topic Author
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:14 am

The future of N772SW?

Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:32 am

It is still parked. But fully repaired. Anyone know why it's not flying again, or what they plan to do with it?
 
zanl188
Posts: 3656
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:05 pm

Re: The future of N772SW?

Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:20 am

Appears to be missing the port engine...

Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe
 
TriL1011Star
Topic Author
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:14 am

Re: The future of N772SW?

Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:24 am

Whoa. Where did you get that pic? Is that a satellite photo?
 
zanl188
Posts: 3656
Joined: Sat Oct 21, 2006 9:05 pm

Re: The future of N772SW?

Sun Dec 30, 2018 2:29 am

TriL1011Star wrote:
Whoa. Where did you get that pic? Is that a satellite photo?


Right out of the a.net photo database.....
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe
 
Redbellyguppy
Posts: 179
Joined: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:57 am

Re: The future of N772SW?

Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:45 am

It was patched enough to get it to the repair facility at PAE. The only way to fix it that doesn’t involve a large skin doubler at the incident site is to re skin the whole side of the fuselage, which is economically impractical. So it was then flown to VCV for retirement.
 
TriL1011Star
Topic Author
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:14 am

Re: The future of N772SW?

Sun Dec 30, 2018 4:35 pm

Interesting. So I guess it will never fly passengers again. I wonder if they will keep it for a spare parts aircraft
 
stratclub
Posts: 701
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:38 pm

Re: The future of N772SW?

Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:23 pm

Redbellyguppy wrote:
It was patched enough to get it to the repair facility at PAE. The only way to fix it that doesn’t involve a large skin doubler at the incident site is to re skin the whole side of the fuselage, which is economically impractical. So it was then flown to VCV for retirement.


Probably not the whole side of the fuselage, but certainly several skin panels need to be replaced. As far as I can tell, the graphic shows damage areas highlighted in red, but for some reason the damage to the wing was not highlighted. With the aircraft being 18 1/2 years old I agree that the aircraft is BER (Beyond Economic Repair) and will be dismantled.

Image
 
TriL1011Star
Topic Author
Posts: 67
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:14 am

Re: The future of N772SW?

Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:11 pm

Why does the front need to be repaired? I never realized it got damaged.
 
stratclub
Posts: 701
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:38 pm

Re: The future of N772SW?

Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:12 pm

TriL1011Star wrote:
Interesting. So I guess it will never fly passengers again. I wonder if they will keep it for a spare parts aircraft

Think of an airplane as a bunch of parts flying in formation. It is possible that many of the parts will be removed,repaired/overhauled and if they are determined to be airworthy, will be identified with an FAA 8130-3 form - Authorized Release Certificate, Airworthiness Approval Tag, and put into the spares system until needed.

To the best of my knowledge, a part "as removed" can not be put on another aircraft until It has valid 8130-3 documentation.
 
stratclub
Posts: 701
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:38 pm

Re: The future of N772SW?

Sun Dec 30, 2018 11:23 pm

TriL1011Star wrote:
Why does the front need to be repaired? I never realized it got damaged.

I have no clue. I could not find any verbiage to explain the red highlighted areas in the graphic or actual pictures of those areas highlighted in the graphic except for the window area damage, the engine damage, the horizontal stab damage and the not highlighted wing leading edge damage.
 
DL777200LR
Posts: 114
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:15 am

Re: The future of N772SW?

Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:59 pm

stratclub wrote:
TriL1011Star wrote:
Interesting. So I guess it will never fly passengers again. I wonder if they will keep it for a spare parts aircraft

Think of an airplane as a bunch of parts flying in formation. It is possible that many of the parts will be removed,repaired/overhauled and if they are determined to be airworthy, will be identified with an FAA 8130-3 form - Authorized Release Certificate, Airworthiness Approval Tag, and put into the spares system until needed.

To the best of my knowledge, a part "as removed" can not be put on another aircraft until It has valid 8130-3 documentation.


“Harvested” parts from a retired airplane that was airworthy don’t have 8130 tags. Just a serviceable tag with all the part information on it.
Nothing better than the sound of a 77W GE90-115B on engine start.
 
stratclub
Posts: 701
Joined: Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:38 pm

Re: The future of N772SW?

Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:25 pm

Tell me more about the process. How would you know if a part is serviceable (airworthy) as removed?
https://www.faa.gov/aircraft/air_cert/i ... 30-3QA.pdf

Could this be the tag you are referring to?
Image

The point is that any part installed on an aircraft has to be documented as serviceable (airworthy) and traceable to the entity that made the airworthiness determination. On something like a hydraulic pump, you would tag it with a green tag indicating that the part as removed is repairable to a serviceable (airworthy) condition because just removing a part does not allow for making an airworthiness determination based on the fact that the aircraft flew to the place were it was dismantled.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: battlegroup62, yblaser and 20 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos