rjsampson
Topic Author

How is the shutdown affecting you? How is it affecting your operations?

Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:48 am

** We can all agree that the shutdown is a very bad thing. But let's keep politics out of this discussion **

I know there's some ATC on this forum. I believe you're not getting paid? TSA is calling in sick in droves. Delta put out a statement that 94% of passengers at KATL are still making it through security within 30 minutes, but told even Domestic passengers to get to get there 3 hours early.

Pilots, MX, passengers, etc.: How have you been affected? How have your companies' operations been affected?
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. But GA is so dang expensive these days! :(

747Whale

Re: How is the shutdown affecting you? How is it affecting your operations?

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:38 am

Our operation thus far isn't hampered.

The domestic and international flights I've been on lately (as late as yesterday) on US carriers weren't affected.

I very recently spent time smuggling contraband through TSA checkpoints doing security drills; the various personnel did their jobs well and were attentive and accurate.

Certainly some areas have had issues and workers are doing a commendable job given their pay status. I do know that some working special issuance on medical certificates, and administrative processes such as flight instructor renewals have incurred delays.

We've had no maintenance issues thus far related to the shutdown.

rjsampson
Topic Author

Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:42 pm

Glad to hear it, 747Whale. Would anyone else care to share their experience?

Seems like there's no resolution in sight on this one. I wouldn't be surprised if this could last months. In which case: Do any of you think that problems will really start presenting themselves?
"..your eyes will be forever turned skyward, for there.." yeah we know the DaVinci quote. But GA is so dang expensive these days! :(

747Whale

Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:15 pm

Problems will very much present themselves, sooner than later.

There is a resolution in sight, but to talk about that is to get political.

FlyHappy

Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:36 am

Got off an international flight in MSP last week. Zero customs presence.... I mean ZERO.... grabbed the bags and walked out with no personnel at all checking any bags or otherwise. Surprising, but not unhappy at all - just ... odd.

CarlosSi

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:19 am

May experience trouble with IACRA for PPL checkride purposes.

teachpdx

Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:44 am

The A220 is supposed to enter service with DL on 1/31, but won’t until the shutdown is over.
Up Next: DL PDX-ATL-TPA | DL TPA-SLC-PDX | DI SEA-LGW | AF CDG-PRG | OK PRG-CPH | D8 CPH-LGW | DI LGW-SEA

KeepAsking

Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:51 pm

Airline I work for hasn’t been able to get technical manual revisions approved by FAA. We also have been transfered a new plane, but it can’t enter into service.

jetblueguy22

Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:44 pm

rjsampson wrote:
** We can all agree that the shutdown is a very bad thing. But let's keep politics out of this discussion **

I know there's some ATC on this forum. I believe you're not getting paid? TSA is calling in sick in droves. Delta put out a statement that 94% of passengers at KATL are still making it through security within 30 minutes, but told even Domestic passengers to get to get there 3 hours early.

Pilots, MX, passengers, etc.: How have you been affected? How have your companies' operations been affected?

Funny they say that.... I’m at a workshop in Detroit right now where half the group of 20 came from the Atlanta area, all but two missed their flights because of the security lines at ATL Monday morning.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

lugie

Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:48 pm

Last week, I was supposed to fly FRA-ORD on UA and then self-connect onwards to ATL and RDU on DL. I had about 3:40hrs between scheduled arrival into ORD and the departure for ATL. Having read about all the TSA problems I got a bit anxious (especially because of it being a self-connection).

I personally got very lucky though: Not only did the UA flight get in half an hour ahead of schedule, it only took me literally 10 minutes from my seat to having cleared immigration and waiting at the baggage claim. Over in T2, there was also practically no line at all at the TSA checkpoint.
However, my timings were rather favorable in general, I got in on UA945 which is one of the first if not the first TATL flight arriving into Chicago each morning. By the time I lined up for TSA in T2 it was like 11:45, so probably the lowest traffic time of the day.

While waiting for departure in ATL I did overhear a number of people talk about long waits at the checkpoints there, so I feel like I just got lucky
DH4 E75 E90 CR9 CRK M88 319 320 321 332 333 359 733 73G 738 739 748 764 772 788
X3 LH 4U TP US SN EI FR IB LX LA CM UA DL AA AS WN
FRA STR HAM TXL MUC ZRH ACE BRU BLL DUB MAN ARN MAD OPO LIS FNC AMS PHL RDU LGA CLT EWR ORD ATL SFO MDW SJO PTY

Web500sjc

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:26 pm

One unseen impact is the certification and recertification of aviation professionals. The Airman certification branch in OKC is on furlough, so it is becoming very hard to conduct checkrides for new pilots, mechanics and dispatchers- and those pilots that were certified prior to the shutdown are still waiting on permanent certificates before the temporary certificate expires. This affects anyone that has made a change to their certificate and has yet to receive the new one (ie pilots who are newly typed on an aircraft or have gotten a higher certificate).

In addition most pilots in a commercial operation need a yearly proficiency check. Large companies do these checks in house with FAA authority, but the in house examiners need thier yearly check from the FAA. Depending on the amount of pilot examiners, and when the FAA designation renews, you may see pilots start to dequalify soon.
Boiler Up!

WPvsMW

Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:55 pm

Based on my flights this week: HNL and DFW, no problem, other than all HNL T2 TSA-Pre is at the central checkpoint in T2. No TSA-Pre at the minor checkpoints in T2. T1 is worse (HA other than JP). HA has moved JP flights to T2.
Avoid ATL except for connections.

atcdan

Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:13 pm

Just remember, your ATCs aren't getting paid!
Tower Controller
VNY, DFW, LAX
All posts are my own opinions and do not represent my employer or any government entity in any way!

747Whale

Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:36 pm

Word today from upper management is that we have an aircraft held from coming online, and pilot administrative that can't get done. A new program to be brought online is ready, but is on hold until the five year old on Pennsylvania Ave caves in.

26point2

Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:18 am

We were AOG and waited 5 days for a part from Rolls Royce/Germany to clear US Customs. Ridiculous.

WPvsMW

Sun Jan 20, 2019 2:28 pm

Not every "headlines" stop was air transport related,
http://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/ ... t-angeles/
but most were.

Woodreau

Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:41 am

Our airline has aircraft awaiting delivery from Airbus, but can’t import the aircraft due to the shutdown, but even if they could import it, the FAA inspectors aren’t able to add the aircraft to the airline opspecs in order for us to put the aircraft into revenue service.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

rjsampson
Topic Author

Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:57 am

Woodreau wrote:
Our airline has aircraft awaiting delivery from Airbus, but can’t import the aircraft due to the shutdown, but even if they could import it, the FAA inspectors aren’t able to add the aircraft to the airline opspecs in order for us to put the aircraft into revenue service.

Thank you, Woodreau, for bringing us back on topic.

First line in my thread was:
rjsampson wrote:

...and the last several comments devolved into precisely the type of political flamewar that has no place on a forum about aviation technical/operations. Take that stuff to the non-aviation forum, gentlemen.

Back to the topic at hand: A buddy of mine at SOCAL TRACON told me that morale is running extremely low.They're remaining professional, of course, but he told me that it's really taking a toll on a couple of controllers. It's to the point that they asked for leave as they felt that the increasing stresses of their personal lives are causing them to do their jobs at less than 100% of their ability. He expects that a few others are mulling the same.

Flaps

Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:40 pm

ZERO impact to my operations thus far. One Sunday night out of the entire shutdown our TSA which is normally open 24/7 closed at 2100. Other than that one instance there have been no TSA issues, no ATC issues and no customs issues. All staff have been polite and efficient as always. They have received enormous support from all those that work around them and the camaraderie has never been better. Sorry to break the angry narrative but that's just the way it is. Professionals being professional.

hitower3

Wed Jan 23, 2019 9:49 am

Woodreau wrote:

Dear Woodreau,
Could there be a theoretical possibility that your company (temporarily) registers and certifies the aircraft in an EU country, just like Alitalia is registering their planes in Ireland? This way, the current limitations at FAA could be avoided.

Best regards,
Hendric

Woodreau

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:57 pm

hitower3 wrote:
Woodreau wrote:

Dear Woodreau,
Could there be a theoretical possibility that your company (temporarily) registers and certifies the aircraft in an EU country, just like Alitalia is registering their planes in Ireland? This way, the current limitations at FAA could be avoided.

Best regards,
Hendric

Doesn't matter, even if the airplane can be imported, the airline still needs an FAA inspector to add the aircraft to the airline's opspec in order to place it into revenue service. The FAA inspectors are not working. So no new planes have been placed into service since December 22.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

hitower3

Wed Jan 23, 2019 2:59 pm

Woodreau wrote:
Doesn't matter, even if the airplane can be imported, the airline still needs an FAA inspector to add the aircraft to the airline's opspec in order to place it into revenue service. The FAA inspectors are not working. So no new planes have been placed into service since December 22.

Dear Woodreau,

Thank you for your explanation. I hope for you and your colleagues that this unfortunate and avoidable situation will be resolved soon!
Best regards,
Hendric

atcsundevil

Wed Jan 23, 2019 4:58 pm

Just a reminder that political discussion belongs in the Non Aviation Forum. This thread is for aviation discussion only. Political comments do not have a place here, and will be deleted.

✈️ atcsundevil

tacc5

Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:36 pm

Anyone else coming up with an expiring temporary certificate? If so what would be the process to get that extended?

DFW17L

Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:54 am

atcsundevil wrote:
Just a reminder that political discussion belongs in the Non Aviation Forum. This thread is for aviation discussion only. Political comments do not have a place here, and will be deleted.

✈️ atcsundevil

“Yes politics. Where greed wears the mask of morality.” Steve Martin, The Pink Panther, 2006.