expat92
Topic Author

Dual seat pitch in economy?

Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:01 pm

Hello, I have tried using search and not found an answer to my query, but I apologize in advance if it has been talked about elsewhere.
I see on seatguru that some airlines/aircraft have differing seat pitches in standard economy seating. However nowhere on the internet can I find how to tell which seats have which pitch. For example I am going to fly LHR-IST on Turkish airlines B773, seatguru says that economy seat pitch on this aircraft is 31-32 inches. Since one in my group is over 6 foot, obviously the larger seat pitch would be better for them, but which seats have it? Do all airlines have the same policy? Is seatguru just wrong?

I know the nice exit row would be best but the tickets are booked through an agency which will not send us the PNR or ticket number until a few days before the flight and I reckon those exit rows will have gone by then :( . . Of course those nice 32inches may have gone by then as well :cry: .

expat92

747Whale

Re: Dual seat pitch in economy?

Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:19 am

What's a seat pitch?

stratclub

Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:37 am

Oh Gawd. Who really gives a rip. 32" VS 31" who really gives a rip.

Flanker7

Wed Jan 23, 2019 1:40 pm

stratclub wrote:
Oh Gawd. Who really gives a rip. 32" VS 31" who really gives a rip.

Tall people do.
Flying blue only if possible

expat92
Topic Author

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:12 pm

@stratclub. You are obviously not married/partnered to someone who is over six foot. In addition your phraseology would suggest that you are fairly young. Let me tell you what you have to look forward to. As you get older (60++ ahemcoughcough) your body is not as accomodating/flexible as when you were younger. So; yes it makes a difference. Make the most of your ability to squeeze into those southwestern/ryanair seats whilst you can.

@747whale. I think/hope you left off a smile.

So back to the question. Does seat pitch get larger at the back as the fusilage narrows or is it the opposite? At what point does it change?
expat92

N776AU

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:45 pm

Anecdotally, I've found seat pitch on the airlines I fly to be a touch better the farther forward I go. Take that for whatever it's worth.
Careful, doors are closing, and will not reopen. Please wait for the next train.

invertalon

Wed Jan 23, 2019 7:56 pm

As someone who is 6'6", I sure care about seat pitch. I can tell a big difference between the SWA 737-700 vs. 737-800 (31" vs. 32”/33").

Those under 6ft should consider themselves lucky when flying to have so much room. Can't help but chuckle at pictures taken in the trip report section of someone’s knees saying “room is tight” when they have 4” in front of their knees. When you have to bend your legs at weird angles and can’t sit straight because you physically can’t fit your leg there, then that is tight!

Seat pitch under 30" should be illegal, honestly...

747Whale

Wed Jan 23, 2019 10:59 pm

expat92 wrote:

So back to the question. Does seat pitch get larger at the back as the fusilage narrows or is it the opposite? At what point does it change?
expat92

No smile, and not tongue in cheek. I've never heard of seat pitch, neither as a mechanic or pilot. What's a seat pitch?

Are you talking about the angle of the seat, or the spacing, or height?

expat92
Topic Author

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:01 am

747Whale wrote:
expat92 wrote:

expat92

No smile, and not tongue in cheek. I've never heard of seat pitch, neither as a mechanic or pilot. What's a seat pitch?

Ok, sorry to misunderstand you. I have always heard it described as the distance from the back of your seat to the back of the seat in front. on the other hand, I have always thought that the actual number is misleading as so many things like the thickness of the seat padding can affect the subjective feel. On the other hand - :eek:am I now some sort of mutant, I seem to be on my third hand - it does give some sort of vague idea as to which is better. What can I say....... "it's better than nothing".
expat92

Starlionblue

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:57 am

747Whale wrote:
expat92 wrote:

expat92

Distance from a point on a seat to the same point on the seat in the next or previous row. The term is used on seat info websites and other places, e.g. here under "Seating Details". https://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Finna ... 50-900.php
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

747Whale

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:04 am

Ah, so more of a sales term, or perhaps passenger lingo. I've never heard it, and never seen it in a maintenance manual or publication, either.

I can't imagine that I'd have ever considered it or wondered about it from the cockpit, either...and come to think about it, I don't think it's ever crossed my mind as a passenger.

I guess that's my new thing learned for today. I'm home free until dinner.

n757kw

Thu Jan 24, 2019 12:16 pm

I know this wont help you or answer your question. At my carrier I stumbled across a seat row with extra legroom in economy. On our 777-300ER at row 50 ABC and GHJ just as the fuselage tapers, the row is not aligned with the row in front. So, there is more legroom as you go from the aisle to the window. It took my 2 flights in the same row to figure out what was occurring.

N757KW
"What we've got here, is failure to communicate." from Cool Hand Luke

Dalmd88

Thu Jan 24, 2019 4:39 pm

Seat Pitch is a maintenance reference. When installing the seats the pitch is measured usually from front leg to front leg. It can vary through out the run of seats by a couple of inches.depending on the layout that has been worked out by engineering. Things like exit rows and fixed monuments (lavs, galleys) effect the pitch. Exit rows have to have a larger pitch than today's typical 31-32 pitch. The y are regulated by FAR.

Redbellyguppy

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:01 pm

expat92 wrote:
So; yes it makes a difference. Make the most of your ability to squeeze into those southwestern/ryanair seats whilst you can.

There are actually many instances where Southwest offers more pitch than similar aircraft operated by their legacy and LCC competitors.

7673mech

Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:59 pm

747Whale wrote:
expat92 wrote:

expat92

Seat pitch is the measure from the forward foot of one seat to the forward foot of the seat behind it.
It is a standard maintenance phrase.

747Whale

Thu Jan 24, 2019 7:21 pm

Dalmd88 wrote:
Seat Pitch is a maintenance reference.

Like I said, nearly 40 years turning wrenches, and I've never heard it.

Dalmd88

Fri Jan 25, 2019 1:48 pm

747Whale wrote:
Dalmd88 wrote:
Seat Pitch is a maintenance reference.

Like I said, nearly 40 years turning wrenches, and I've never heard it.

We used it for every cabin set up I've ever done in my 20 years with DL. It is right on the engineering plan for the layout. I know that is not a common everyday task for many mechanics. If you work anytime in a heavy check environment you get involved with total cabin guts at one time or another. If you have never done it, good for you. I never liked installing an entire plane load of seats. Very awkward heavy, laying on the floor with the Cherrios and other 'stuff'.

expat92
Topic Author

Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:18 pm

Thanks to n757kw for his comment.

re 747whale about his comments in regard to piloting. It is a good thing that pilots have not heard about seat pitch :wink2: . Just think about it ! I believe that the day I hear that a pilot flying the plane I'm on complaining that his seat pitch is too small :eek: and that his knees are knocking the seat in front of him is the day I stop flying :white: .
expat92

stratclub

Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:04 am

expat92 wrote:
@stratclub. You are obviously not married/partnered to someone who is over six foot. In addition your phraseology would suggest that you are fairly young. Let me tell you what you have to look forward to. As you get older (60++ ahemcoughcough) your body is not as accomodating/flexible as when you were younger. So; yes it makes a difference. Make the most of your ability to squeeze into those southwestern/ryanair seats whilst you can.

expat92

Tanks for the complement. Actually, I'm not as young as you suspect I am (Try 68). I am 5' 11" so I guess I qualify to almost be in the 6' + club. I see where you misspelled fusalsausage. We can't be having typos on this forum now can we?

Being that as far as I know, we are all Airman here of the highest caliber and would never even think about anything that might compromise aircraft/human safety. Sorry, just not going there..............

747Whale

Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:27 am

expat92 wrote:

re 747whale about his comments in regard to piloting. It is a good thing that pilots have not heard about seat pitch :wink2: . Just think about it ! I believe that the day I hear that a pilot flying the plane I'm on complaining that his seat pitch is too small :eek: and that his knees are knocking the seat in front of him is the day I stop flying :white: .
expat92

Just to clarify...747Whale has been an active mechanic longer than he's been a pilot, going back to his early teens...and has been an inspector and director of maintenance...twice.