Danielator36
Topic Author

High Schooler interested in aviation management career

Sat Jan 26, 2019 9:41 pm

I'm currently a high schooler and I've been interested in aviation management since I was in elementary school. I was wondering what I can/should do right now as a high schooler to get ahead or become more knowledgable. I'm currently reading a textbook about the aviation industry, I regularly stay up to date with airline news and what not, but besides that there isn't much I've been able to find. I'd love to volunteer at an airport or do something to gain experience, but I haven't had much luck finding anything, so any suggestion helps.

Thanks!

Starlionblue

Re: High Schooler interested in aviation management career

Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:22 pm

At this point, it might be counterproductive to narrow your search to jobs/internships in aviation only. Careers are rarely linear. Get any job that gives you job experience, in any industry. Show that you work hard and have a positive attitude.

Keep up on aviation on the side. Maybe work towards a degree in (generic) management. Work towards management positions by learning jobs thoroughly from the trenches and getting your hands dirty as needed. Build a contact network. Eventually, you'll get a chance at an aviation industry job and by then you will have the CV that enables you to get that job. This might take a long time but meanwhile, you will have marketable skills useful in other industries.

Perseverance will get you to your goals, not finding a job through a stroke of luck. "Luck is where preparation meets opportunity."
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

tb727

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:42 am

Where do you live?
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

Danielator36
Topic Author

Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:47 am

tb727 wrote:
Where do you live?

In a small-ish midwest city

MSJYOP28Apilot

Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:02 am

One thing about the airline industry in the United States is that each area of airline management has its own career path. It is much easier to pick one area of management to focus on.

A generic business or management degree is a good idea. However, depending on the career field it may either be just a piece of paper for the resume or it might be not enough as graduate degrees may be required for the job. Other management career fields require certifications such as maintenance, dispatch or pilot. Other management areas require you to start out working the ramp or gate/ticket counter customer service jobs.

stephanwintner

Wed Jan 30, 2019 5:09 pm

Seems like there must be a small airport near you, go see if the general aviation FBO's near you need anyone. Working for a small firm will allow you to see lots of different sides of the business. Even if you think your interest lie with larger businesses, wide exposure to in a small one will help you see the big picture.

Runway28L

Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:09 am

I am a couple steps ahead of you on what I think is a path similar to yours.

I'm currently in college with a dual major in marketing and management, and hold a volunteer position at my local airport that mainly has me assist international arrivals at customs and be on-hand for special events. I am planning on bumping up to a paid internship for the summer that is very similar to my current role, but would give me set hours and expanded duties.

My advice would be to seriously consider applying for a volunteer position at your local airport. Participate in the program for a year or two to gain experience and depending on available positions (and how you feel), seek an internship. Other than that, keep up with following the industry. It'll greatly help build your knowledge and have you become more attractive to someone that looking for additional volunteers or even those offering internships and jobs. It definitely did for me with getting accepted into the program, and likely will for my internship.