United Airline
Topic Author

How expensive are D checks?

Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:04 am

How often is it done? Every 5 years? How expensive are they? Many airlines simply don't want to do D-checks and retire planes. Such as the B747s.

Samrnpage

Re: How expensive are D checks?

Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:14 am

Variety of factors, tends to get more the older the plane is.

Dalmd88

Mon Jan 28, 2019 1:48 pm

D check is actually an old term. Most newer aircraft have switched to a progressive check system. Most take 8 years to get through the cycle of checks. The last one on the cycle for Boeing is the closest we get to the old D check. It requires the cabin to be stripped down to do a full crown inspection. Many times this would be done with a full cabin interior upgrade since both require the entire cabin to be removed.

I have not seen any costs for a while now. Before Delta outsourced the MD88 HMV (the term MDD use for D level check) We were running about 1-1.5 Million for a check. If you throw new overhauled engines add another 1 Million per engine. These numbers are about 15 years old so I would bet they are significantly higher now and even more for a wide body. How anyone makes any money in aviation is beyond me.

nighthawk

Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:49 pm

Dalmd88 wrote:
D check is actually an old term. Most newer aircraft have switched to a progressive check system. Most take 8 years to get through the cycle of checks. The last one on the cycle for Boeing is the closest we get to the old D check. It requires the cabin to be stripped down to do a full crown inspection. Many times this would be done with a full cabin interior upgrade since both require the entire cabin to be removed.

I have not seen any costs for a while now. Before Delta outsourced the MD88 HMV (the term MDD use for D level check) We were running about 1-1.5 Million for a check. If you throw new overhauled engines add another 1 Million per engine. These numbers are about 15 years old so I would bet they are significantly higher now and even more for a wide body. How anyone makes any money in aviation is beyond me.

Do these costs include lost revenue from having the aircraft sit on the ground for 2 weeks?

Dalmd88

Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:31 pm

nighthawk wrote:
Dalmd88 wrote:

Do these costs include lost revenue from having the aircraft sit on the ground for 2 weeks?

No, that is the cost of the work. It also was closer to 4 weeks. The smaller checks which are about every 18 months would be in the one to two week visit.

fdxtulmech

Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:18 am

Lost revenue is not counted directly in the cost of checks. Most operators, except around Thanksgiving and Christmas, plan on having planes in check all the time. They are usually scheduled into heavy mx "nose-to-tail", meaning when one is released the next is ready for induction. For example, if you need 200 planes flying to cover flights then you would have 208-210 planes in the fleet. This accounts for 5-6 in heavy mx all the time and a few spares when things go wrong on the line. As far as cost, that varies wildly from plane to plane. One might have a ton of sheet metal work and the next is clean. So, you might spend $150,000 for a 1C or first level in the progressive checks and an 8C might be 2 million+. Depends on air frame and age.

Max Q

Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:34 am

It would be interesting to know the cost of a D check on a 744
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

Flighty

Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:45 pm

Airlines typically run their peak fleet in the high season, early March to late August (six months). Very few if any airplanes are in heavy checks. Then, in the low half of the year, you fix up your airplanes. In this way, not much revenue is affected. Airlines probably would like to have more capacity in the high season anyway. It ends up being an almost perfect situation from all respects. Fleets are purchased knowing that a maintenance will occur at certain intervals. The trouble starts when aircraft have unexpected findings in maintenance that result in unbudgeted costs or time. But that should not happen until the fleets are quite old.

Yes, MaxQ, one of my favorites is that BA 744 D-check video from years ago. What a comforting program.