kitplane01
Topic Author

ADSB-IN for airliners

Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:45 pm

It surprises me that ADSB-IN is not required for airliners.

For example, only 40% of 787s have it, and for that aircraft it’s a software upgrade that requires no extra hardware. I understand ATC provides traffic separation. But you’d think the extra set of eyes would add safety. Of course the last mid air collision for a scheduled airliner was a long time ago. This non-– requirement still surprises me

( Data from Professional Pilot January 2019)

GalaxyFlyer

Re: ADSB-IN for airliners

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:00 pm

They already have TCAS.

GF

BoeingGuy

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:18 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
They already have TCAS.

GF

ADS-B-In gives you a lot of information that TCAS doesn’t give. That’s like saying an airplane doesn’t need GPS because it already has an IRU.

It allows several applications like In-Trail Procedure and Spacing. On the Boeing applications you can select traffic, which changes to a green symbol, on the ND and draw a ring around it at a selected distance. It also shows directionality, the call sign and the category of other traffic, which TCAS does not.

It’s a big enhancement. ADS-B-In is a customer option on the 787. It will be on the 777X too. A version of it is also on the KC-46 that lets you select formation members and gives a different alert if one comes too close (if you are in TA ONLY).

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:37 pm

All true and wasn’t aware of all the capability, but other than In-Trail Procedures, there’s no economic benefit of those features, nice as they might be to crews. Probably explains the 40% take rate

GF

BoeingGuy

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:28 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
All true and wasn’t aware of all the capability, but other than In-Trail Procedures, there’s no economic benefit of those features, nice as they might be to crews. Probably explains the 40% take rate

GF

No, but there probably will be more benefit in the future. It wasn’t supposed to be a 40% take rate either.

Originally the 787 was supposed to be pretty much all basic. Features like this was not supposed to be optional or priced. ADS-B-In was intended to a basic part of the 787.

Then the bean counters got involved and realized they could make revenue by charging for stuff like this, and make themselves look good. That’s why the 787 only has a 40% uptake of ADS-B-in.

papahotel

Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:52 pm

Are you sure it's not mandatory?

As far as I know it's mandatory for all commercial aircrafts flying above 1000ft by 06/2020 in EU...

kitplane01
Topic Author

Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:40 am

papahotel wrote:

As far as I know it's mandatory for all commercial aircrafts flying above 1000ft by 06/2020 in EU...

That's ADSB-OUT, which reports where you are to others, including ATC. ADSB-IN reports where other people are to you.

BoeingGuy

Tue Feb 05, 2019 3:21 am

papahotel wrote:

My understanding is also that there is no current or planned mandate anywhere for ADS-B-In applications.