Morrofinch
Topic Author

Airline Career Help

Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:23 am

Hi everyone,

So all my life (17 years) I have wanted to work for an airline as I have had a love for aviation. I tried flying however I truly believe my passion lies in running an airline so becoming an executive someday for an Airline is my new goal. I will finish high school this year and therefore uni in the year after. I was wondering what people thought was the best degree options and career paths in general. My current thoughts were either Commerce/Science, Commerce/Aviation Management or Commerce/Bussiness Administration.

I currently live in Australia but moving after uni is totally on the cards.

Any help is very much appreciated!

Starlionblue

Re: Airline Career Help

Mon Feb 11, 2019 8:01 am

Anything with business would work. Aviation management might not be the best choice since it limits your career options in case you don't immediately get a job in the industry. A more general business degree would be preferable. Combining with science/engineering is even better.

In the end, though, it boils down to working hard, being patient and humble, and not complaining at work. In 20 years what degree you have will be pretty irrelevant. Initially, take any job that gets you experience, even outside aviation.

(There are many threads about this.)
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

benjjk

Re: Airline Career Help

Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:28 am

Have a look at the graduate programs offered by current airlines and see what degrees and/or skills they like. But don't limit yourself to these programs - when hiring for senior roles, they often like people with some experience in other companies/industries.

And always remember, when the opportunity comes, that no job is beneath you. John Borghetti started out in the mail room at Qantas IIRC and eventually became CEO of Virgin Australia.