Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Interested
Topic Author

Lifejackets on commercial planes

Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:08 pm

I was half watching the stewardess on easyjet today demonstrating the whistle and light on the life jacket

And 2 questions occurred to me:

1) when is the last time life jackets saved the lives of commercial air crash passengers?

2) when's the last time the whistles and lights on the life jackets actually played a part in saving lives on a plane?

Are we all just going through some bizarre ritual every time we fly on a plane or do they actually ever prove useful?

flipdewaf

Re: Linebackers on commercial planes

Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:12 pm

Aint no blowing of line backers going to save your life, Don't you listen to them!!!!

In all seriousness I would guess that the survivors of 1549 would be pleased to have the lifejackets.

Fred

User001

Re: Lifejackets on commercial planes

Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:14 pm

I believe some on the US air ditching used their life jackets.

As for the whistle and light, it’s one of those ‘there if you need it’ items, a bit like insurance. Hopefully you don’t ever have to use them, but, good to know you do have them should you need.

Interested
Topic Author

Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:24 pm

The Hudson River plane?

Did any of the passengers even go in the water?

I'm sure landing on rivers wasn't in the thoughts when lifejackets were put on planes

Are there any other commercial plane crashes where lifejackets actually saved lives?

EightyFour

Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:33 pm

Tuninter Flight 1153 comes to mind, ATR-72 ditched in the Mediterranean sea in 2005 due to fuel starvation, 23 survivors out of 39. No idea whether lights or whistles helped with rescue efforts though.

COSPN

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:09 am

Many airports are near water .. so it’s a good idea in case of an overrun into the water

Yflyer

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:18 am

Interested wrote:
The Hudson River plane?

I'd have to go back and check old articles from back when it happened to be sure, but I'm pretty sure that at least a few passengers did go in the water, yes. I vaguely remember reading about a passenger who grabbed a couple of seat cushions and threw them to fellow passengers who were swimming.

I'm sure landing on rivers wasn't in the thoughts when lifejackets were put on planes

Maybe not, but does that really matter? It happened, and possibly the life jackets helped.

Edit: Look at this picture from Wikipedia. It was taken from such a distance that they just look like dark blobs, but those look like people in the water to me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Airway ... iver_(crop).jpg

SL1200MK2

Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:59 am

I believe many on ALM flight 980 used them when their DC-9 ditched in the Caribbean. 40 of the 57 pax survived and waited about 90 minutes before they were rescued. So, I presume they were indeed used and were effective.

GSPFlyer

Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:33 am

Ethiopian 961 comes to mind. Though ironically, some pax didn't survive because they inflated their life jackets before exiting the plane and got stuck inside.

SL1200MK2

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:52 am

GSPFlyer wrote:
Ethiopian 961 comes to mind. Though ironically, some pax didn't survive because they inflated their life jackets before exiting the plane and got stuck inside.

This was also an issue in the ALM 980 flight I mentioned above. I’ve seen those things inflate and I can imagine them making an evacuation much more difficult.

RyanairGuru

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:41 am

According to the NTSB report only 10 passengers on AWE1549 retrieved a life jacket, which is really quite astounding.
Worked Hard, Flew Right

FlapsOne

Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:23 am

Interested wrote:
I was half watching the stewardess on easyjet today demonstrating the whistle and light on the life jacket

And 2 questions occurred to me:

1) when is the last time life jackets saved the lives of commercial air crash passengers?

2) when's the last time the whistles and lights on the life jackets actually played a part in saving lives on a plane?

Are we all just going through some bizarre ritual every time we fly on a plane or do they actually ever prove useful?

I’d rather have it than not. easyJet also give life jackets to parents with infants and are told to read the packaging and instructions prior to departures. Usually I see parents simply stuff them in the seat pocket and wonder what on earth it’s all about.

Noshow

Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:26 am

Shouldn't personal locator devices be required to be added to every passenger lifevest?

802flyguy

Thu Feb 21, 2019 2:00 pm

RyanairGuru wrote:
According to the NTSB report only 10 passengers on AWE1549 retrieved a life jacket, which is really quite astounding.

And one of them wore the life jacket the wrong way!

MIflyer12

Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:42 pm

Noshow wrote:
Shouldn't personal locator devices be required to be added to every passenger lifevest?

That's the light and whistle! Seriously, how far away from the incident site do you expect passengers to be?

wexfordflyer

Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:35 pm

There's plenty of evidence here that they have proven useful, and that aside, I would hardly call it a bizarre ritual. Aircraft fly over large and small expanses of water, and many airports are located close to water. Thankfully it's a rare occasion that an aircraft enters the water, but goddammit if it does you will be very glad to have anything that's gonna either save your life, or make it a bit easier for you to stay afloat (rather than treading water) while help comes along.

I think a lot of aviation regulation is there for the sake of it (LAGS, electronic equipment), but I certainly wouldn't but life jackets and their acoutrements into that bracket!
Come with me, there's a place I want you to see, where the leaves are dark, I've got a hiding place in central park.

SheikhDjibouti

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:11 pm

Yflyer wrote:
Interested wrote:
The Hudson River plane?

I'd have to go back and check old articles from back when it happened to be sure, but I'm pretty sure that at least a few passengers did go in the water, yes. I vaguely remember reading about a passenger who grabbed a couple of seat cushions and threw them to fellow passengers who were swimming.

Maybe not, but does that really matter? It happened, and possibly the life jackets helped.

Edit: Look at this picture from Wikipedia. It was taken from such a distance that they just look like dark blobs, but those look like people in the water to me. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/US_Airway ... iver_(crop).jpg

I was going to suggest that with slides doubling as inflatable boats, life jackets are unnecessary, but then I read this...
Wikipedia wrote:
Some evacuees waited for rescue knee-deep in water on the partially submerged slides, some wearing life-vests. Others stood on the wings or, fearing an explosion, swam away from the plane. One passenger, after helping with the evacuation, found the wing so crowded that he jumped into the river and swam to a boat.

The air and water temperatures were about 19 °F (−7 °C) and 41 °F (5 °C) respectively.

I would agree that being forced to watch & listen to a safety briefing on every flight is a bit of a bizarre ritual.

I'm betting one or two FAs will take me to task for that suggestion, but having travelled on one or two boats in my time, I don't recall being subjected to any briefing as to the use or location of lifejackets. I guess they figured that in any emergency, a) we would listen very carefully to a last minute briefing from stewards, and b) failing that we would use common sense.
And anybody who couldn't manage that would fulfil Darwin's Theorem.... :lol:

p.s. what I have occasionally pondered is a kind of airbag for aircraft, so that the entire body of the fuselage remained afloat.
If that had been the case with MH370, it would probably still be bobbing around somewhere in the Indian Ocean even now.
It might save some lives, and the added bonus would be no more expensive underwater search operations to locate FDRs at the bottom of the ocean.
Nothing to see here; move along please.

dredgy

Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:18 pm

Life jackets were used in the evacuation of Air Niugini 73 in just September last year, and probably saved lives as at least a couple of people had head and neck injuries that prevented them independently keeping their head above water and they needed assistance.

They are hard to reach though, so in the case of a water landing, not everybody manages to get their hands on one, or inflates theirs inside the aircraft out of panic.

kalvado

Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:12 pm

Interested wrote:

There is a huge portion of ritual in it.
Exhibit 1: two cases discussed here, Air Niugini 73 and Hudson miracle went into water near the airport.
14 CFR § 91.509 - Survival equipment for overwater operations - requires life vests only when flying more than 50 miles away from the shore. So flight could legally operated in that spot without flotation equipment - although not to all destinations. In fact, US 1549 LGA-CLT, doesn't require life vests for most routings.

TSS

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:17 pm

MIflyer12 wrote:
Noshow wrote:

That's the light and whistle! Seriously, how far away from the incident site do you expect passengers to be?

Comedian Billy Connolly on water landings, life jackets, and the unexpected dangers of using a whistle while at sea (relevant bit starts @ 6:28)- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkxC2bGNlzI
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

nws2002

Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:26 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
I'm betting one or two FAs will take me to task for that suggestion, but having travelled on one or two boats in my time, I don't recall being subjected to any briefing as to the use or location of lifejackets. I guess they figured that in any emergency, a) we would listen very carefully to a last minute briefing from stewards, and b) failing that we would use common sense.

Every cruise ship I've ever been on has a muster drill.

747Whale

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:39 pm

How long can you tread water?

SheikhDjibouti

Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:55 pm

nws2002 wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:

Every cruise ship I've ever been on has a muster drill.

Is it compulsory?
Do they sit you down and lock the doors? (like on an aircraft!)
Take a roll call to see if you missed it by hiding in your cabin?

Whilst looking, I found this piece of upside down logic;
Laws in some places hold crew members liable to face civil charges if they voluntarily do not attend the muster drill.
For example, in some US states, those who do not attend are fined varying amounts, depending on their rank

"Voluntary", except they will face charges if they don't? :rotfl:

Muster drills are typically not conducted and are usually not required for short trips on the water, such as those taken on ferries, dinner cruises, and riverboats

Short trip = less than 24 hours, or enough to cross the Baltic, the North Sea, Bay of Biscay, or from Europe to Africa across the Mediterranean. Plenty of opportunities for rough weather on those routes.

nws2002

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:54 pm

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Is it compulsory?

Yes it is mandatory. They close all the pools, bars, restaurants, entertainment, etc and crewmembers direct you to the muster location indicated on your cruise ship ID card. They either scan the card to mark you present or mark your name off a list. If you don't attend the crew will come find you.

AirKevin

Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:55 pm

Interested wrote:
The Hudson River plane?

I believe I read somewhere that one passenger jumped into the river to try to swim to land, then thought better and swam back to the plane.
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
having travelled on one or two boats in my time, I don't recall being subjected to any briefing as to the use or location of lifejackets. I guess they figured that in any emergency, a) we would listen very carefully to a last minute briefing from stewards, and b) failing that we would use common sense.

I've never seen it done on a ferry or a tour boat, although in the case of the ferries, we weren't on them for more than a few minutes. As for the tour boats, we were on them for maybe an hour tops, if that. As for cruise ships, they actually do the briefing.
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Is it compulsory?

Yes.
SheikhDjibouti wrote:

They tell you which muster station to go to based on the cabin you're staying in, but that's about the best I remember since the cruise I went on was back in 2007.
SheikhDjibouti wrote:

No. I don't know how they would even be able to try. You're talking literally thousands of passengers on a cruise ship. Try taking a roll call for that, you'd be there for hours.
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Laws in some places hold crew members liable to face civil charges if they voluntarily do not attend the muster drill.
For example, in some US states, those who do not attend are fined varying amounts, depending on their rank

I think you misunderstood something here. The muster drill is NOT voluntary. It's saying crew members who choose NOT to attend the muster drill face charges. Voluntarily meaning they chose not to attend.
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Muster drills are typically not conducted and are usually not required for short trips on the water, such as those taken on ferries, dinner cruises, and riverboats

Short trip = less than 24 hours, or enough to cross the Baltic, the North Sea, Bay of Biscay, or from Europe to Africa across the Mediterranean. Plenty of opportunities for rough weather on those routes.

As far as ferries, we're talking about, for instance, the Hudson River ferries in New York. The ones that take you from Liberty Park to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, generally not more than ten minutes, if that. The Maid Of The Mist at the Niagara Falls, which only takes you down to the falls and then back where you started, ten or twenty minutes. The Minnie Ha Ha up in Lake George, New York, which is maybe an hour tops..
Captain Kevin

SheikhDjibouti

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:08 am

AirKevin wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:

I think you misunderstood something here. The muster drill is NOT voluntary. It's saying crew members who choose NOT to attend the muster drill face charges. Voluntarily meaning they chose not to attend.
Yeah, I definitely misunderstood the definition of "voluntarily". And so did some guy called Merriam-Webster. :roll:

SheikhDjibouti wrote:

AirKevin wrote:
As far as ferries, we're talking about, for instance, the Hudson River ferries in New York. The ones that take you from Liberty Park to Ellis Island and the Statue of Liberty, generally not more than ten minutes, if that. The Maid Of The Mist at the Niagara Falls, which only takes you down to the falls and then back where you started, ten or twenty minutes. The Minnie Ha Ha up in Lake George, New York, which is maybe an hour tops..

Yeah, I wouldn't expect a safety briefing on any of those.

However, I was thinking of ferries more like...
30,000 tons, with a 9-11 hour crossing at 27 kts.
In Australia, two Spirit of Tasmania ferries carry passengers and vehicles 300 kilometres (190 mi) across Bass Strait, the body of water that separates Tasmania from the Australian mainland, often under turbulent sea conditions.

Or maybe the MS Color Magic at 75,100 tons, running from Oslo to Kiel (20 hours).
I'm not getting any indication of compulsory safety briefings on either of these big boys.

Starlionblue

Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:33 am

I tell my family to always know where the closest exits are in both directions. If you need to use the life vest you will most likely have at least a little time to figure it out. If you need to evacuate rapidly you won't have time. It is amazing how many pax can't find the lavatories on a calm day. Finding the exits without warning with smoke and screaming all around? Good luck.

To be fair to pax though, this is an unfamiliar and at least somewhat intimidating environment to most of them. For us it's just where we work

Side note: One of the random questions you can get in our annual emergency procedures exam is something like, "What is the difference with the child life jackets apart from size?". Answer at the bottom...

RyanairGuru wrote:

Considering how few pax seem to pay any attention to their surroundings, I'm really not that shocked.

MIflyer12 wrote:
Noshow wrote:

This. Also locator devices have transmitters, which raises all sorts of safety and maintenance issues.

SheikhDjibouti wrote:

p.s. what I have occasionally pondered is a kind of airbag for aircraft, so that the entire body of the fuselage remained afloat.
If that had been the case with MH370, it would probably still be bobbing around somewhere in the Indian Ocean even now.
It might save some lives, and the added bonus would be no more expensive underwater search operations to locate FDRs at the bottom of the ocean.

The size of the airbags (because it would be several) would have to be massive, and thus very heavy. Not worth the extremely limited utility. How many aircraft have ditched in one piece and then sunk immediately? Aircraft do float at least for a while, especially if all the valves are closed, e.g. ditching pushbutton on Airbus.

Answer to the question: "The child life jacket does not have a whistle."
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

trpmb6

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:49 pm

I think a common misconception is that the whistles are needed to help signal rescuers to your location. While that may help (though honestly not really since anyone performing a rescue will have a better vantage point - more on that in a second) the main purpose is for banding many passengers together or to alert someone on a life raft to your location. The whistle's help because everyone who is floating in water is at the same level, so even an ocean wave of a foot will obscure someone from your view (where as rescuers will be a comparably significant distance above water level). Ditto with the water activated beacons.

I can think of a couple coast guard documentaries where whistles and beacons played a big role in rescues.

trpmb6

Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:58 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:

The size of the airbags (because it would be several) would have to be massive, and thus very heavy. Not worth the extremely limited utility. How many aircraft have ditched in one piece and then sunk immediately? Aircraft do float at least for a while, especially if all the valves are closed, e.g. ditching pushbutton on Airbus.

We actually do flotation analysis to guarantee a certain amount of float time. We have to limit the total surface area of open holes beneath the water line to control the flow rate of water ingress. I was trying to find the exact FAR this rolls into but I can't seem to find it right now.

EasternSon

Fri Feb 22, 2019 8:47 pm

Please, please, please listen to the safety briefings. I have personally seen with my own eyes people's total inability to don a life vest, even after they have been given specific one-on-one instruction. It's scary and sad.

But, what we should be talking about is inaccessibility. Most people on the 1549 got off without a life vest because they couldn't locate it quickly enough. They searched for a second or two, then left their seats.

Next time you're in an aircraft, reach under the seat (probably with your face smashed into the seat into the seat in front of you) and see if you can get your hand on the fabric strip that you're supposed pull to open the compartment- if you can even identify it as the right thing to pull without being able to see it. Try to do it in less than 5-10 seconds.

Now, imagine being panicked out of your mind, with people screaming all around, and flight attendants shouting instructions.

Do you think you'd be able to find it?
"The only people for me are the mad ones...." Jack Kerouac

SheikhDjibouti

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:48 pm

EasternSon wrote:
But, what we should be talking about is inaccessibility. Most people on the 1549 got off without a life vest because they couldn't locate it quickly enough. They searched for a second or two, then left their seats.

Next time you're in an aircraft, reach under the seat (probably with your face smashed into the seat into the seat in front of you) and see if you can get your hand on the fabric strip that you're supposed pull to open the compartment- if you can even identify it as the right thing to pull without being able to see it. Try to do it in less than 5-10 seconds.

Now, imagine being panicked out of your mind, with people screaming all around, and flight attendants shouting instructions.

Wouldn't it be easier if your life vest was located under the seat in front of you? The only issue would be providing a life vest for the row of seats at the front of an aircraft, but they also have the problem that their tray-table cannot be suspended from the (non-existent) seat in front of them. And yet somehow airlines have got around that problem.

stratclub

Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:51 pm

EasternSon wrote:
Please, please, please listen to the safety briefings. I have personally seen with my own eyes people's total inability to don a life vest, even after they have been given specific one-on-one instruction. It's scary and sad.

Yes,it's right here (View looking outboard and aft):

AirKevin

Sat Feb 23, 2019 12:08 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:

Yeah, I definitely misunderstood the definition of "voluntarily". And so did some guy called Merriam-Webster. :roll:

Don't know why the sarcastic eye-roll was necessary. It all comes down to the positioning of the words. This:

is different from this:
Laws in some places hold crew members liable to face civil charges if they do not attend the voluntarily muster drill.

The latter would be indicating that the muster drill was voluntary, in which case, I could see your point. But that's not what was said. The law is stating that if the crew member chooses not to attend the muster drill, they could face charges. Certainly there could be situations where crew members don't attend for factors beyond their control. For instance, if a crew member slips on an ice cube, falls, and breaks a leg and ends up missing the muster drill, that's not really a situation where they chose to skip it.

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
In Australia, two Spirit of Tasmania ferries carry passengers and vehicles 300 kilometres (190 mi) across Bass Strait, the body of water that separates Tasmania from the Australian mainland, often under turbulent sea conditions.

Or maybe the MS Color Magic at 75,100 tons, running from Oslo to Kiel (20 hours).
I'm not getting any indication of compulsory safety briefings on either of these big boys.

Interesting. Wouldn't have thought anything that big would be considered a ferry.
Captain Kevin

Starlionblue

Sat Feb 23, 2019 1:47 am

AirKevin wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
AirKevin wrote:

Don't know why the sarcastic eye-roll was necessary. It all comes down to the positioning of the words. This:

is different from this:
Laws in some places hold crew members liable to face civil charges if they do not attend the voluntarily muster drill.

The latter would be indicating that the muster drill was voluntary, in which case, I could see your point. But that's not what was said. The law is stating that if the crew member chooses not to attend the muster drill, they could face charges. Certainly there could be situations where crew members don't attend for factors beyond their control. For instance, if a crew member slips on an ice cube, falls, and breaks a leg and ends up missing the muster drill, that's not really a situation where they chose to skip it.

SheikhDjibouti wrote:

Interesting. Wouldn't have thought anything that big would be considered a ferry.

As I see it, these ships are ferries because their main purpose is transportation between two locations. As opposed to a cruise ship where the main purpose is the journey itself.

Large ferries generally have the ability to carry cars, lorries and sometimes trains. Cruise ships do not.

"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

SheikhDjibouti

Sat Feb 23, 2019 2:16 am

AirKevin wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:

AirKevin wrote:
Don't know why the sarcastic eye-roll was necessary. It all comes down to the positioning of the words.

Er, no! You are going against every dictionary known to the English speaking world.

Look - there's no need for us to go to war over this. I simply found the choice of words ridiculous for the simple reason that "compulsory" and "voluntary" are antonyms.
Compulsory is defined as "forcing one's compliance or participation by or as if by law ", or exactly what is required of these crew members.

You don't often hear anybody claiming that they "voluntarily" adhered to a mandatory speed limit.
But if you are ok with that concept, I'll quietly walk away from continuing this argument.

What is perhaps more relevant (or puzzling) is that some US states will charge the employee for non-attendance.
As I see it; by failing to maintain their safety proficiency, those crew members have made themselves unemployed. The buck now passes to the employer who should refuse to employ them or pay them.
However, if the employer uses labor that is not properly qualified, surely it should be the employer who should face charges?

I then delved into the original Wikipedia links and found that in the case of Kentucky, the reference was nothing to do with safety drills on ships. It was an 1865 Act in respect of the Kentucky Militia, Article III, Section XXXVI which specifies fines according to rank for any member of the Militia who fails to appear properly armed and dressed on any day of muster.
I suppose the fact that Kentucky is a land-locked state was my first clue that things were a bit cuckoo.

With that in mind, I'm not sure that the other link to Ohio is going to be much better. :banghead:

Nevertheless, I enjoyed the exercise. Now I just need to find a way to explain to Wikipedia that their article is full of holes (as well as poor English).
And it also reminded me that one of the most obscure awards I have ever found was "Honorary Kentucky Admiral". :rotfl:

SheikhDjibouti wrote:

The MS Color Magic at 75,100 tons, running from Oslo to Kiel (20 hours).

AirKevin wrote:

No worries; you're welcome. :D

p.s. thanks to Starlionblue too :bigthumbsup:

747Whale

Sat Feb 23, 2019 3:24 am

All of which is entirely irrelevant to the use of flotation devices on aircraft, and the briefing thereof.

AirKevin

Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:22 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
Look - there's no need for us to go to war over this. I simply found the choice of words ridiculous for the simple reason that "compulsory" and "voluntary" are antonyms.
Compulsory is defined as "forcing one's compliance or participation by or as if by law ", or exactly what is required of these crew members.

The muster drill is compulsory, yes. The word voluntarily was not used to describe the attendance of the muster drill itself, but rather the crew member's decision not to attend.
SheikhDjibouti wrote:
You don't often hear anybody claiming that they "voluntarily" adhered to a mandatory speed limit.

No, you're right, you don't, because most people are going way over the speed limit, so they are voluntarily busting the speed limit. The speed limit itself is mandatory, but it seems that almost everybody out on the road is always busting the speed limit.
Captain Kevin

jetmatt777

Sun Feb 24, 2019 4:53 am

SheikhDjibouti wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
SheikhDjibouti wrote:

AirKevin wrote:
Don't know why the sarcastic eye-roll was necessary. It all comes down to the positioning of the words.

Er, no! You are going against every dictionary known to the English speaking world.

But if you are ok with that concept, I'll quietly walk away from continuing this argument.

What is perhaps more relevant (or puzzling) is that some US states will charge the employee for non-attendance.
As I see it; by failing to maintain their safety proficiency, those crew members have made themselves unemployed. The buck now passes to the employer who should refuse to employ them or pay them.
However, if the employer uses labor that is not properly qualified, surely it should be the employer who should face charges?

I then delved into the original Wikipedia links and found that in the case of Kentucky, the reference was nothing to do with safety drills on ships. It was an 1865 Act in respect of the Kentucky Militia, Article III, Section XXXVI which specifies fines according to rank for any member of the Militia who fails to appear properly armed and dressed on any day of muster.
I suppose the fact that Kentucky is a land-locked state was my first clue that things were a bit cuckoo.

With that in mind, I'm not sure that the other link to Ohio is going to be much better. :banghead:

Nevertheless, I enjoyed the exercise. Now I just need to find a way to explain to Wikipedia that their article is full of holes (as well as poor English).
And it also reminded me that one of the most obscure awards I have ever found was "Honorary Kentucky Admiral". :rotfl:

SheikhDjibouti wrote:

The MS Color Magic at 75,100 tons, running from Oslo to Kiel (20 hours).

AirKevin wrote:

No worries; you're welcome. :D

p.s. thanks to Starlionblue too :bigthumbsup:

Agree with airkevin, the wording is confusing but he is right. You are “voluntarily” not attending the drill. I.e. it in some circumstances may be necessary to not attend the drill at the order of the captain, in which case you did not attend the drill because you were mandated to be somewhere else or perform a different task.

In your example with the speed limit sign, you can be ticketed for voluntarily exceeding the speed limit, but a situation theoretically could arrive where a police officer orders you to exceed the speed limit (maybe to clear a street for an incoming fire truck). You would not be ticketed for being ordered to disobey the sign.

Lukas757

Tue Feb 26, 2019 7:26 pm

802flyguy wrote:
RyanairGuru wrote:

And one of them wore the life jacket the wrong way!

At least one....