Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

WesternDC6B
Topic Author

Is a Swing-Tail Possible?

Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:33 pm

There has been much discussion about the eventual and possible discontinuance of the Boeing 747 freighter, which has a nose that can be raised for loading long cargo.

My question is: would it be feasible to bring back the "swing-tail", as found, for example, on the Canadair CL-44, thus filling this need?
“Pedantic” defined: spelling “pedantic” “pædantic”.

nws2002

Re: Is a Swing-Tail Possible?

Mon Feb 25, 2019 3:51 pm

It is possible, I mean the 747 Large Cargo Freighter has a swing tail.

stratclub

Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:00 pm

Bring back the swing tail in what way? New production or modification of existing aircraft?

WesternDC6B
Topic Author

Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:29 pm

stratclub wrote:
Bring back the swing tail in what way? New production or modification of existing aircraft?

Something existing, like, for example the Boeing 777.

BravoOne

Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:13 pm

Check out the CL44 (Flying Tiger, Slick and Seaboard World). Also there was a swing tail DC6B over in Europe as I recall.

WesternDC6B
Topic Author

Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:06 pm

BravoOne wrote:
Check out the CL44 (Flying Tiger, Slick and Seaboard World). Also there was a swing tail DC6B over in Europe as I recall.

The CL44 and the DC6B are looonnggg discontinued. I mean something contemporary.

Full disclosure: I think the CL44 and its "parent" the Bristol Britannia are two of the most handsome planes made in the prop era.

BravoOne

Mon Feb 25, 2019 7:55 pm

I briefly flew the CL44 at Tigers while furloughed from WAL. Kinda fun.

mikeinatlanta

Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:47 pm

Excepting something very specialized like the LCF, why would you want to?
Aircraft Maintenance Professional since 1979.

unimproved

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:18 pm

Ignoring the forces on the tail because you're using it to steer, there's also a lot of cables, hydraulics and such going to it. And the APU being fitted in it doesn't help either,

Okie

Mon Feb 25, 2019 10:46 pm

unimproved wrote:
Ignoring the forces on the tail because you're using it to steer, there's also a lot of cables, hydraulics and such going to it. And the APU being fitted in it doesn't help either,

You need to move into the 21st Century.
There are no hydraulic lines, mechanical cables between the tail section on any commercial aircraft that has been designed in the last 20 years.
They are all stand alone units for each hydraulic function.

I am not going to get into TMR redundancy here but for simplicity for discussion you could basically have 3 power cables (3 phase power) and a Cat 5 computer cable between the fuselage and the tail section which would easily handle a hinge movement.

The big issue is that there is just no real demand in the market for a tail swinging aircraft to justify the costs of design and certification for just a few units.

Okie

stratclub

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:23 pm

Wrong. All modern heavy aircraft have hydraulics pressure and return lines between the aft body and the elevators, rudder and the horizontal stabilizer trim system if the horizontal stabilizer trim system is hydraulically powered.

The difference is that fly by wire aircraft do not have control cables going to the control surfaces control valves, just wires.

The Boeing LCF does fine with control cables because the relationship between the tail hinge is such that swinging the tail does not change the control cables effective length when the tail is swung open so the tail control cables rigging does not change. IIRC, there are additional pulleys at the tail hinge point to accomplish this.

Almost forgot. The Boeing LCF does not have an APU.
Last edited by stratclub on Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Stitch

Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:36 pm

WesternDC6B wrote:
There has been much discussion about the eventual and possible discontinuance of the Boeing 747 freighter, which has a nose that can be raised for loading long cargo.

That type of cargo now makes up a small percentage of world-wide 747 movements. Even for items that could be nose-loaded on a 747, far more often they are carried on An-124s because 747 cargo operators do not want to carry it when they could use that space for high-revenue generating pallets.

The swinging tail of the 747-400LCF is a real pain-in-the-ass to work with: I've watched them wrestle with it at PAE and NGO. It is done that way only there because it is less of a pain in the ass than trying to do it with the nose. :biggrin:

7BOEING7

Wed Feb 27, 2019 4:33 am

And in the LCF case you need a special piece of gse to swing the tail and a special pad to operate on so things don’t bend.

WPvsMW

Wed Feb 27, 2019 6:40 am

Why not go ALL THE WAY BACK to twin boom, so you don't swing anything. The Flying Boxcar... with GTFs. Why not?
"The AC-119 was made more deadly by the introduction of... two underwing-mounted General Electric J85-GE-17 turbojet engines, adding nearly 6,000 lbf (27 kN) of thrust. "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild ... ing_Boxcar
https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air ... xcar/69363

WIederling

Wed Feb 27, 2019 7:42 am

Stitch wrote:
The swinging tail of the 747-400LCF is a real pain-in-the-ass to work with: I've watched them wrestle with it at PAE and NGO. It is done that way only there because it is less of a pain in the ass than trying to do it with the nose. :biggrin:

Airbus had the swinging nose experience.
They decided on the "front maw" Beluga design.
so much hassle avoided.
Murphy is an optimist

speedygonzales

Wed Feb 27, 2019 10:18 am

WIederling wrote:
Stitch wrote:

so much hassle avoided.

I was thinking about a Beluga XS, a regular A330 (or A350 for that matter) fuselage combined with the Beluga nose and forehead door, for long and narrow cargo post-747. With the much smaller door area it should be possible to retain pressurization of the cargo compartment.

Boeing should also be able to do a Beluga-style 777 or 787, as any Airbus patents should have expired by now.
Ignorance kills. :tombstone:

WIederling

Wed Feb 27, 2019 1:30 pm

speedygonzales wrote:
WIederling wrote:
Stitch wrote:

so much hassle avoided.

I was thinking about a Beluga XS, a regular A330 (or A350 for that matter) fuselage combined with the Beluga nose and forehead door, for long and narrow cargo post-747. With the much smaller door area it should be possible to retain pressurization of the cargo compartment.

Boeing should also be able to do a Beluga-style 777 or 787, as any Airbus patents should have expired by now.

do you know about this website:
http://www.allaboutguppys.com/

go here:
http://www.allaboutguppys.com/beluga/600stf.htm
Murphy is an optimist

stratclub

Wed Feb 27, 2019 2:02 pm

The LCF certainly fails the LAR (Looks About Right) requirement. Damn ugly aircraft IMHO. I agree that with having to use a forklift to support the tail when you swing it certainly is a pain. And losing the APU? what a hassle for ground operations.

The Beluga? Airbus really did it right with that aircraft. What an elegant implementation, no forklift to support the cargo door for unloading. As a plus Airbus was able to keep the APU which is a real plus when you are doing maintenance.

Stitch

Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:11 pm

Stitch wrote:

WIederling wrote:
Airbus had the swinging nose experience. They decided on the "front maw" Beluga design. so much hassle avoided.

Well the cockpit location difference played a major role in the different design philosophies. If Boeing had used a 777, for example, it likely would have been similar to the A300-600ST.

BoeingGuy

Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:14 pm

nws2002 wrote:
It is possible, I mean the 747 Large Cargo Freighter has a swing tail.

A big problem with the LCF is that it doesn’t have an APU due to the difficulty of routing a fuel and pneumatic lines through the swing section. Unless something has changed since I last heard, it always needs a ground cart. That reduces operational flexibility.

As others have noted, there are significant challenges in designing an airplane with a swing tail.

planecane

Fri Mar 01, 2019 4:01 am

Wouldn't it be easier to make a swing nose out of a FBW aircraft?

AirKevin

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:29 pm

planecane wrote:

Not really sure how you'd make that work. Other than the 747, this would result in the flight deck being moved around when the nose is being swung open or closed.
Captain Kevin

planecane

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:37 pm

AirKevin wrote:
planecane wrote:

Not really sure how you'd make that work. Other than the 747, this would result in the flight deck being moved around when the nose is being swung open or closed.

Couldn't this be done in a FBW aircraft where you don't have control cables to the flight deck? Not saying it would be simple but simpler than the tail with hydraulic lines etc. going to it.

AirKevin

Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:48 pm

planecane wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
planecane wrote:

Couldn't this be done in a FBW aircraft where you don't have control cables to the flight deck? Not saying it would be simple but simpler than the tail with hydraulic lines etc. going to it.

But what I'm saying is, for starters, how would the pilots get in and out of the flight deck if the nose is swung open since presumably, the flight deck would be attached to the swinging nose section. Or are they supposed to wait until the cargo is fully loaded and the nose section is closed before they can get in. On a 747, it didn't matter if the nose door was open or closed, the pilots could still get in and out.
Captain Kevin

Dalmd88

Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:25 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
Why not go ALL THE WAY BACK to twin boom, so you don't swing anything. The Flying Boxcar... with GTFs. Why not?
"The AC-119 was made more deadly by the introduction of... two underwing-mounted General Electric J85-GE-17 turbojet engines, adding nearly 6,000 lbf (27 kN) of thrust. "
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairchild ... ing_Boxcar
https://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Air ... xcar/69363

This would be cool looking.

planecane

Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:09 pm

AirKevin wrote:
planecane wrote:
AirKevin wrote:

But what I'm saying is, for starters, how would the pilots get in and out of the flight deck if the nose is swung open since presumably, the flight deck would be attached to the swinging nose section. Or are they supposed to wait until the cargo is fully loaded and the nose section is closed before they can get in. On a 747, it didn't matter if the nose door was open or closed, the pilots could still get in and out.

I was thinking that since it is a specialized type of mission that the pilots would wait until the cargo was loaded and the nose secured in flight position before entering the cockpit. Since 747-8f's can still be ordered and have been built relatively recently, there are probably enough that will be around 30 or 40 years that a new swing nose or swing tail aircraft is probably not necessary for a while.

WPvsMW

Fri Mar 01, 2019 6:33 pm

I am in the minority, I know, but I think quad cargo a/c are here to stay. More thrust, more payload. There's more to come after the GEnx-2B and GE9X.
https://www.geaviation.com/commercial/e ... aft-engine

I'm not proposing putting GE9X, or even GE90-115B (currently on the triple 7), on a 748... I'm advocating the concept that the quad is not dead.