william
Topic Author

Jetblue Burbank-Boston fuel stop question

Tue Mar 26, 2019 1:43 pm

Had a friend a couple of weeks ago, take a Jetblue A320 "nonstop" flight from Burbank to Boston nonstop. My friend stated they stopped in Phoenix to refuel according to the captain. Is this common? Especially eastbound with a jetstream behind them?

The runways at Burbank are not that long.

EMBQA

Re: Jetblue Burbank-Boston fuel stop question

Tue Mar 26, 2019 6:49 pm

The only divert I saw was your friends flight. Could have been anything.. weather in Boston, weather enroute causing a different route. Who knows...
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog"

e38

Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:43 pm

Quoting william (thread starter), "Is this common?"

william, well, no, I would not say it is "common" but there are many variables involved that might make a fuel stop necessary such as enroute winds, temperature at departure airport, weather (to include the need for an alternate) at the destination; passenger and/or cargo load, among many others.

william, you also stated, "eastbound with a jetstream behind them?"

keep in mind the jetstream is not always "linear" from west to east. It moves north and south seasonally (usually slightly further south in the winter, and stronger, than in the summer) and frequently bends. I've flown many transcontinental flights where the jetstream caused us to have a tailwind flying east to west and a headwind flying west to east during portions (not all) of the flight. The jetsteam is not static--constantly changing in terms of velocity, direction, and location.

Long term, you plan a flight schedule based on median winds (in this case, non-stop from Burbank to Boston) but occasionally, due to unusual circumstances, a fuel stop might be necessary.

e38

Redbellyguppy

Wed Mar 27, 2019 1:44 am

Pretty sure this fuel stop is because of an obstacle climb weight restriction out of Burbank because of a departure from 33 due to winds, or an accelerate-stop performance restriction due to a wet runway 15. They can normally do the flight nonstop off a dry runway 15.

RyanAirB737

Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:04 am

My flight was one of these lucky ones, on October 10th. We diverted to SLC. I knew this would be a possibility before I booked the ticket -- most did not and were between annoyed and irate. We diverted to SLC as expected. We spent about 20 mins taxiing to the most remote part of the airfield and there were apparently problems with the refueling truck from the conversation I overheard from the crew. We were on the ground for over an hour. There were three trucks at one point. We arrived at 7am and departed at 9pm, so it was about a 7 hour flight.

When we arrived, our bags for Burbank were listed as carousel 5. They actually came out on carousel 3 which was labeled "Salt Lake City."

We got a $25 comp which was nice. I wasn't expecting even that.

They said the reason was heavy prevailing winds, short runway, and full flight. One passenger complained "why didn't you fill the tanks, we paid for this flight!" Sigh.

Cubsrule

Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:53 am

RyanAirB737 wrote:
My flight was one of these lucky ones, on October 10th. We diverted to SLC. I knew this would be a possibility before I booked the ticket -- most did not and were between annoyed and irate. We diverted to SLC as expected. We spent about 20 mins taxiing to the most remote part of the airfield and there were apparently problems with the refueling truck from the conversation I overheard from the crew. We were on the ground for over an hour. There were three trucks at one point. We arrived at 7am and departed at 9pm, so it was about a 7 hour flight.

When we arrived, our bags for Burbank were listed as carousel 5. They actually came out on carousel 3 which was labeled "Salt Lake City."

We got a $25 comp which was nice. I wasn't expecting even that.

They said the reason was heavy prevailing winds, short runway, and full flight. One passenger complained "why didn't you fill the tanks, we paid for this flight!" Sigh.

That long a gas and go is likely on the airline (or maybe the airport). I’ve had gas and goes at online stations on other carriers with ground time as little as 20 or 25 minutes.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

United857

Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:19 am

Also consider that BUR has pretty short runways for a 5.5-6 hour transcon flight (only 6800 ft), which means the plane is probably weight limited for departure. Even if they could normally make it nonstop with a full passenger load, there’s probably not much headroom for when the jetstream is significantly weaker than usual, which means that when the jetstream does occasionally disappear, either some pax need to be offloaded to load more fuel or a fuel stop is made. It seems like B6 choose the latter option.
A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A346 A388 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B748 B752 B764 B772 B77L B77W B788 CRJ2 E145 E17S E190 MD88 MD90
AA AC B6 CA CX CZ DL EK FM HU JL KA LH LX MU NH TK UA US