Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Kidbooo
Topic Author

What can you do with a B.S. in Aviation/Aviation Management??

Wed Mar 27, 2019 6:11 am

Hello everyone,,
I've been in the maintenance side of aviation for about 10 years now, give or take.

As I'm reaching my 30s, I'm kind of getting weary of the demanding nature of this sector of the business.

The crap schedule, the work itself (I've never been the most mechanically inclined person) the lack of opportunities to move up...I guess I'm outgrowing it

Basically I decided I needed to gtfo out of doing maintenance and find a different part of the industry. I wanted to move up, make more money, less stress, so I'm working on my degree now.

But when I enrolled in college, it was just like "I need to get out, here's a business related aviation degree, I'll take it"

And now here I am, but I'm wondering what kind of actual jobs are available with this degree? What options are out there?

I know there are options, I just don't specifically know what they are, and I'm unsure how to even write a resume for it, since I'm kind of switching careers.

Any advice or comments?

tb727

Re: What can you do with a B.S. in Aviation/Aviation Management??

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:24 pm

I have my degree in Aviation Management. In my class I know of a few of us that got on with local freight airlines and started out doing crew scheduling and planning to get our foot in the door while still in school. I ended up being a pilot as did a few others but I know a few guys ended up being in charge of crew scheduling, maintenance planning, crew training/instructing and quite a few ended up doing airport operations stuff. Some of these jobs were at small freight airlines, some at fractionals and a few at the majors, so it was a good mix. One guy was running an airport somewhere in Iowa right after graduating. We had a couple mechanics in the program too. I think they wanted to move up in maintenance and run maintenance control at some point.

The degree had some classes in a bit of everything involved with aviation. Starting an airline, how maintenance planning works, basic flying stuff, some basic business classes. I liked it because it was diverse. When I was going jeez, about 20 years ago now :shock: , it was known as one of the best programs out there.
https://www.emich.edu/cot/tpsm/programs ... vmngmt.php
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

747Whale

Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:29 pm

Aviation degrees, generally speaking are about as worthless as they come, but good enough for checking a box to say you got a degree. Comparable with underwater basket weaving, except without the skill.

amishfarmer

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:01 pm

747Whale wrote:
Aviation degrees, generally speaking are about as worthless as they come, but good enough for checking a box to say you got a degree. Comparable with underwater basket weaving, except without the skill.

Well, in my opinion to set oneself ahead of their peers to move ahead a degree is needed in the corporate world. Is my very near future degree in aviation maintenance and a minor in aviation safety probably just going to be a nice piece of paper on the wall? yes. Does a piece of paper mean I'm an excellent mechanic? no. But, if I want to make more money, I need to set myself apart from the crowd, a degree will do that for me. Especially as I will be entering Federal Civil Service and upward movement is difficult in that arena.
So yes I agree with you to a point. Aviaton degrees can be worthless, it depends on the agency looking at your resume. The job I'm leaving told me I'd be promoted just because I have a degree, they never asked what my degree was in, or if it had anything to do with purchasing.
So I'd say if you can get a degree get it. Look at job applications for something that you are interested in and see if alot of them require degrees. Alot of places just want to see you can commit to something for 4 years and complete it.
Just my 2 cents, your experience may vary.

waly777

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:05 pm

747Whale wrote:

Interesting opinion, and yet I was able to get a management position in a large airline fresh out of uni with a masters in the same discipline and zero airline experience......
The test of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold 2 opposed ideas in the mind concurrently, and still function

airportugal310

Wed Mar 27, 2019 8:26 pm

waly777 wrote:
747Whale wrote:

Interesting opinion, and yet I was able to get a management position in a large airline fresh out of uni with a masters in the same discipline and zero airline experience......

...and then likely realized that very little you learned with that degree was useful?

That's been my experience. Same degree, but everything I have learned at the current major I work at has been "trial by fire"...the party stories from school have been very useful at vendor & supplier outings/dinners, though...
“They bought their tickets, they knew what they were getting into. I say, let 'em crash.”

waly777

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:05 pm

airportugal310 wrote:
waly777 wrote:
747Whale wrote:

...and then likely realized that very little you learned with that degree was useful?

That's been my experience. Same degree, but everything I have learned at the current major I work at has been "trial by fire"...the party stories from school have been very useful at vendor & supplier outings/dinners, though...

Actually not in this case. Our lecturers were also heavily involved in the industry, providing consultancy services to airlines and we had access to lectures from CEOs to analysts, as well as group work and presentations scored by varying airline and airport management. It was the perfect transition I needed, 6 years on... i still refer to some of the information learnt.

Sure, actual work is a far more detailed and specific versus what we were taught but it was a perfect introduction. #Cranfield.
The test of first-rate intelligence is the ability to hold 2 opposed ideas in the mind concurrently, and still function

SierraPacific

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:26 pm

On a related note, how valuable is a generic MBA when it comes to the aviation industry? After I complete my flight training, I am very interested in pursuing an MBA to make myself more marketable in the aviation industry if for some reason I lose my medical in the far future.

strfyr51

)??

Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:42 pm

I recently retired from United and I too have a BS in Aviation Maintenance Management. I retired as a Controller in Tech Ops Maintenance Control (TOMC) as an Airbus controller.(primarily) I've also worked as a 757,747and ,737 controller. Before that as a Maintenance Supervisor at SFO (SFOMM)
But there are Many-Many jobs in Maintenance Planning, scheduling and other technical areas that do NOT turn wrenches. And they are all necessary functions..
Why not send a resume to United? Now Understand this, If you want a job? You're probably going to be moving TO Chicago. From there?
I had a great time working. And NOW? I'm having a great time retired NOT working! Since 1984 I've worked rotating shifts, Rotating days off, Nights, weekends, Swing shift and rotating shifts while in Maintenance control since 1999. It was damn sure interesting. But NOW? I'm doing NOTHING! And? I'm SERIOUS about it!!
Good Luck!

Dalmd88

Thu Mar 28, 2019 12:36 am

I personally think even the Aviation Management degree that is getting bashed pretty bad by some to be worth it. Any management type of degree shows you can set a goal and accomplish it. They all teach you think critically and learn. In any program you learn how to read and write at a college level. These types of skills are why most pilot jobs require a 4 year degree. One can learn to fly a plane without going to college, but all the majors want the degree. Military officers are pretty much required to have a degree. Not many schools teach aspiring Marine 2LT's battlefield tactics, but the skills they do teach help the young Marine to be a leader.

tb727

Re: )??

Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:04 am

strfyr51 wrote:
I recently retired from United and I too have a BS in Aviation Maintenance Management. I retired as a Controller in Tech Ops Maintenance Control (TOMC) as an Airbus controller.(primarily) I've also worked as a 757,747and ,737 controller. Before that as a Maintenance Supervisor at SFO (SFOMM)
But there are Many-Many jobs in Maintenance Planning, scheduling and other technical areas that do NOT turn wrenches. And they are all necessary functions..
Why not send a resume to United? Now Understand this, If you want a job? You're probably going to be moving TO Chicago. From there?
I had a great time working. And NOW? I'm having a great time retired NOT working! Since 1984 I've worked rotating shifts, Rotating days off, Nights, weekends, Swing shift and rotating shifts while in Maintenance control since 1999. It was damn sure interesting. But NOW? I'm doing NOTHING! And? I'm SERIOUS about it!!
Good Luck!

Congrats on retirement!
Too lazy to work, too scared to steal!

WPvsMW

Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:08 am

An ATP is as optional in a management track as an MBA is in a pilot track. Putting aside the majors that require a BA or BS plus an ATP for a pilot's job, a grad degree means nothing in the seniority track at a major. However, in a management track, a grad degree gets the nod for a promotion if the other candidates lack one, even if the other candidates have ATPs. Summary: it all depends upon whether you want the glamour of the flight deck or the glamour of the corner office. ;)

Solution: get both an ATP and an MBA (or av-specific MBA equivalent). Don't stop at a bachelor's... just like you didn't stop with a H.S. degree ... if management is your Plan B. If management is your Plan A... .duh.

e38

Sun Mar 31, 2019 7:30 am

You have no way of knowing that. What a cruel thing to say. Why is it so important to you to be disrespectful and degrading to anyone who either disagrees with you or has a different opinion?

and the originator, kidbooo, stayed the issue had been solved. Why even comment?

e38

WPvsMW

Sun Mar 31, 2019 4:57 pm

Whale's posts are usually instructive, not vitriolic. That one deserved a few days off.

strfyr51

Re: What can you do with a B.S. in Aviation/Aviatio.n Management??

Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:04 am

At one time? United ONLY wanted guys with degrees in Maintenance Management. System Controllers etc. That was why I got my degree. I got the job in Maintenance control for Having the Degree, But I kept it for Having been a Navy Flight Engineer and understanding the relationship of aircraft systems. The Degree just opened the door for them to give me a LOOK! I've known a number of guys wgo had a degree but couldn't put the system together in their head to solve a problem,,

micstatic

Wed Apr 03, 2019 1:08 pm

I can only speak about Embry-Riddle's program. I think it's very valuable. Atleast in my part of the industry. You are basically getting a business administration degree but with a focus on aviation. Many of the courses have case studies or industry speakers/panelists that relate to the aviation field. 4 accounting classes, 4 economic classes, statistics classes, communications etc. So I would say that's worth something. I know many people pulling in over 150k a year with that degree. Like any degree, you get what you put into it. I will also add that I had a passion for studying the aviation business side of the house. If I was in a generic state school reading case reviews about toothpaste marketing, I don't think I would have been as interested in the coursework.

WPvsMW

Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:31 pm

"Embry is excellent, and over-priced, and I'm very happy with my salary.", said my cousin who taught at Embry for his career.
The adage that college is 1/3 facilities, 1/3 faculty, and 1/3 students in generating the "life-time takehome" applies to Embry as well as the Ivy League, state unis, etc. Embry is great if you can afford it. There are PLENTY OF OTHER SCHOOLS if you can't afford Embry.
https://www.faa.gov/pilots/training/atp ... y_List.pdf

LeTourneau Univ. in Longview TX, a school and place unknown to most people, has more FAA-certified aviation majors than Embry.
https://www.letu.edu/academics/all-academics.html

Apprentice

Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:53 am

Kidboo, Good Morning. When looking for opinions, don’t pay attention to those that don’t know nothing about or even we’re not able to get a simple degree when all normal technician/pilots got it.
Study will always turn You a better professional, and, even if You work in other field, will help You. In our field, wil help You understand why many times
Me, I finished in KIIGA, in 1984, with outstanding professors, an Aerodrome for Civil Airplanes, an Hangar inside Institute and many laboratories.
I found that I applied many of what I learn in my working life, and still apply (in other “world”).
So if possible, go for it where You are able!

Rgds
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”