seb146
Topic Author

Do We Still Need Airport Beacons?

Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:09 am

The rotating green and white atop some control towers or simply those that stand alone? With ATC and sensitive GPS and computers, do airplanes still need those beacons?
You bet I'm pumped!!! I just had a green tea!!!

jetblueguy22

Re: Do We Still Need Airport Beacons?

Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:39 am

Makes it a little easier to spot when on a visual....but I'm also not flying airliners around with advanced electronics.

Plus, in comparison to other navaids, they're cheap to operate. No use taking down something as simple as that to save a few hundred bucks a year.
Look at sweatpants guy. This is a 90 million dollar aircraft, not a Tallahassee strip club

seb146
Topic Author

Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:11 am

jetblueguy22 wrote:
Makes it a little easier to spot when on a visual....but I'm also not flying airliners around with advanced electronics.

Plus, in comparison to other navaids, they're cheap to operate. No use taking down something as simple as that to save a few hundred bucks a year.

I am not a pilot so I have to ask. I have flown into PDT once on QX many years ago. There are navaids and lights at the end of the runways and they still have their beacon.

I know it is great for small airports but why for SFO or LAX or SEA?

pwm2txlhopper

Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:24 am

Still a lot of GA aircraft flying around that don't have GPS and glass cockpits. The beacon is very distinct. When flying over a major city at night on an airliner, the beacon is always very recognizable even though it's surrounded by a sea of city lights. Even when you're six miles high, you can still make out the distinct beacon for civil mand military airfields. Even when you can't make out the runway lights.

GalaxyFlyer

Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:06 pm

This may shock people, but it’s still possible to look out the windows to fly an airplane, be it a genuine Piper Cub or a 747. And land it that way, too.

GF

JBo

Mon Apr 01, 2019 3:49 pm

I would argue that the airport beacon is still fundamentally important, because even WITH all the fancy electronics we have now, visual reference is still important. It's still important to have something that helps you identify the location of an airfield in the unlikely event that all the fancy electronics fail.

They're also helpful in identifying helipads in densely urban areas, and the color combination of the beacon light tells you whether an airfield is an airport, heliport, civil, or military.

What I'm curious to see is how long it'll be before LED airport beacons are certified into use.
I'd take the awe of understanding over the awe of ignorance any day.

seb146
Topic Author

Mon Apr 01, 2019 6:08 pm

Very good points being brought up. Thanks to you all.

As far as LEDs go, I don't know if that will happen. The glow seems different. There are LED street lights and LED tail lights on cars. The glow just seems off. Maybe I am not used to them? It will still probably be a while before they are certified.

kabq737

Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:20 am

YES!!!

I fly an airplane with dual Garmin GPS, and lots of other goodies and I still use the beacons frequently. They’re quite helpful on a moonless New Mexico night.
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46
Airliners.net Forum Moderator

spacecadet

Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:19 am

seb146 wrote:
I am not a pilot so I have to ask. I have flown into PDT once on QX many years ago. There are navaids and lights at the end of the runways and they still have their beacon.

You can't see the lights at the end of the runways when you're coming in perpendicular to them, as you typically would be in a standard pattern. (You either overfly them at 90 degrees or enter the pattern at 45.) An airport at night from the side looks pretty much like any other random collection of city lights. So yes, airport beacons are still important, and always will be.

Of course there's radio and GPS navigation now too, but what do you do if and when that stuff fails? Or if you're not rated for it? There's such a thing as VFR night flights. The whole point of VFR is that you look out the window rather than staring at your instruments.
I'm tired of being a wanna-be league bowler. I wanna be a league bowler!

LH707330

Wed Apr 03, 2019 9:38 pm

spacecadet wrote:
seb146 wrote:

You can't see the lights at the end of the runways when you're coming in perpendicular to them, as you typically would be in a standard pattern. (You either overfly them at 90 degrees or enter the pattern at 45.) An airport at night from the side looks pretty much like any other random collection of city lights. So yes, airport beacons are still important, and always will be.

Of course there's radio and GPS navigation now too, but what do you do if and when that stuff fails? Or if you're not rated for it? There's such a thing as VFR night flights. The whole point of VFR is that you look out the window rather than staring at your instruments.

100% this. I've flown night instrument approaches with 20-degree offsets in urban areas, you always see the beacon way before the runway lights.

thepinkmachine

Thu Apr 04, 2019 8:07 pm

Same here. Unfortunately, there’s very few beacons outside of the US and visually identifying the airport at night can be tricky, especially if you don’t know where to look fo it.

I have always wondered why such a simple and cheap solution as the beacon wasn’t adapted as a worldwide standard...

So, the bottom line is:
- are the beacons necessary? No
- are they still useful? Yes

arcticcruiser

Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:26 pm

seb146 wrote:

As far as LEDs go, I don't know if that will happen. The glow seems different. There are LED street lights and LED tail lights on cars. The glow just seems off. Maybe I am not used to them? It will still probably be a while before they are certified.

I´m with you there. I really dislike LED runway lighting.

GalaxyFlyer

Sun Apr 07, 2019 12:29 pm

Especially for EFVS users

spudsmac

Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:28 pm

I still use airport beacons for orientation when flying general aviation and at the airlines. Airports are surprisingly hard to pick out at night, especially when some roads are aligned with and lit brighter than runways.

kabq737

Wed Apr 10, 2019 12:52 am

arcticcruiser wrote:
seb146 wrote:

I´m with you there. I really dislike LED runway lighting.

Strongly agree. They’re intense when nearby but for some reason I find LED lights harder to use at a distance. The color seems off too.
Been on: 320, 321, 333, 733, 73G, 738, 739, 744, 752, 763, 764, 772, 789, C208, CR7, CR9, BE20, MD83, MD88, MD90, E70, E75, E90, TRIM
Flown: SEEKER, C150M C172N, C172R, C172S, C182RG, DA40, PA-46
Airliners.net Forum Moderator