Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

glideslope900
Topic Author

Fume Events on Airbus A320

Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:23 pm

Fume events occur on all aircraft, however the Airbus A320 model seems to have a frequency of fume events higher than the average. This is particularly a problem for B6.

It is suspected that the high oil pressure on the IAE V2500 engines is the reason for the increased frequency of fume events. Apparently, this has caused neurological issues resulting in the death of multiple pilots and pilots losing medical certificates.

Here is a link to the Airline Pilot Central forum which includes a discussion about the issue with current jetBlue pilots:

https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/jetb ... vents.html

If true, the FAA needs to mandate a fix to this issue before anyone else incurs health issues. The problem is, a fix would likely be very costly which results in no action being taken and the issue being swept under the rug. I hope this is not the case but we all know how money drives higher up decision making.

Apprentice

Re: Fume Events on Airbus A320

Mon Apr 15, 2019 10:34 am

Hi: Any data of Oil Consumption Trend before fume event?
Rgds
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.
"A NO" is a positive answer., "DON'T KNOW" is not. My Tutor (a wise man)
“CUBANA” 90 years Flying”

Apprentice

Mon Apr 15, 2019 11:56 am

Sorry, more complete question: Does your company keep an update Engine Parameter Trend? If yes, does it take actions when any parameter go out tolerances?
Rgs
“An4; IL18; IL6; Tu5; D10; MD11; MD83; B32; B34: B37; B744; B748; B752; B763; B772; B773; B77W; A320; A332; A333; A342; A343.

glideslope900
Topic Author

Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:42 pm

Apprentice wrote:
Sorry, more complete question: Does your company keep an update Engine Parameter Trend? If yes, does it take actions when any parameter go out tolerances?
Rgs

I do not have this information. However, the normal PSI of the V2500 engine is around 250. That is much higher than other engines. Even with engine parameters within normal range, fumes can apparently be an issue if there is a gap in a seal or pooled oil.

I don’t believe the issue has to do with engine parameters, but rather the actual design of the engine.

Apprentice

Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:40 am

glideslope900 wrote:
Apprentice wrote:
Rgs

I do not have this information. However, the normal PSI of the V2500 engine is around 250. That is much higher than other engines. Even with engine parameters within normal range, fumes can apparently be an issue if there is a gap in a seal or pooled oil.

I don’t believe the issue has to do with engine parameters, but rather the actual design of the engine.

Hi, My question arise from the fact that, a very low leak by high oil press, will be reflected in parameters trend, as also, in other way, a Oil cap or oil system agrégate leaks.

In other way, very few companies bought Engine’s Engine Trend Software, even because consider that engines will not malfunction never or because they know how good is their Maintenance.
Rgds

glideslope900
Topic Author

Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:31 pm

Apprentice wrote:
glideslope900 wrote:
Apprentice wrote:
Rgs

Hi, My question arise from the fact that, a very low leak by high oil press, will be reflected in parameters trend, as also, in other way, a Oil cap or oil system agrégate leaks.

In other way, very few companies bought Engine’s Engine Trend Software, even because consider that engines will not malfunction never or because they know how good is their Maintenance.
Rgds

Of course that would cost more money. And cost of money is why this whole issue is swept under the rug.