Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

 
dfwjim1
Topic Author
Posts: 2495
Joined: Fri Sep 09, 2011 8:46 pm

Virgin America pilots - no neckties

Fri Apr 12, 2019 7:45 pm

When Virgin America was around I used to fly them between Fort Lauderdale and California and liked that the pilots wore black collared shirts without a necktie. After Alaska Airlines purchased Virgin America did the VA pilots have to start wearing neckties or are they allowed to due without? By the way I have not flown Alaska since they bought out VA.
 
BravoOne
Posts: 4094
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Virgin America pilots - no neckties

Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:19 pm

Thye should be wearing the new Alaska uniform. Which includes a tie.
 
AlnessW
Posts: 667
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Virgin America pilots - no neckties

Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:10 pm

Clever way of keeping the VA brand alive?
 
timh4000
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: Virgin America pilots - no neckties

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:19 am

I have seen a cpl of virgin American planes (parked) Are they just not in use or do they still fly under the name but owned by Alaska?
 
timh4000
Posts: 321
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2018 1:14 pm

Re: Virgin America pilots - no neckties

Sat Apr 13, 2019 1:24 am

And FWIW my one time on VA was the best service I have ever had flying economy. They really made it a point to be super friendly. Even up front very detailed announcements. Deplaning the captain stood at the door thanking us for flying and have a good day, Along with the FA's
 
User avatar
SierraPacific
Posts: 435
Joined: Sun May 13, 2018 1:48 am

Re: Virgin America pilots - no neckties

Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:39 am

They are all wearing the updated Alaska uniforms complete with tie now. I liked the Virgin uniforms but the traditional pilot uniform is tough to beat looks wise.
 
Max Q
Posts: 8635
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Virgin America pilots - no neckties

Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:22 am

Always thought it funny that
‘neck’ has to be added to ‘tie’ on this side of the Atlantic


Clarity must be provided !
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


GGg
 
greg85
Posts: 190
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:45 am

Re: Virgin America pilots - no neckties

Sun Apr 14, 2019 7:31 pm

Max Q wrote:
Always thought it funny that
‘neck’ has to be added to ‘tie’ on this side of the Atlantic


Clarity must be provided !



Haha! Same as “eyeglasses”. Just in case you weren’t sure where to put your glasses.
 
Max Q
Posts: 8635
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Virgin America pilots - no neckties

Mon Apr 15, 2019 8:06 am

greg85 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
Always thought it funny that
‘neck’ has to be added to ‘tie’ on this side of the Atlantic


Clarity must be provided !



Haha! Same as “eyeglasses”. Just in case you weren’t sure where to put your glasses.



Exactly !
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


GGg
 
AlnessW
Posts: 667
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Virgin America pilots - no neckties

Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:33 pm

timh4000 wrote:
And FWIW my one time on VA was the best service I have ever had flying economy. They really made it a point to be super friendly. Even up front very detailed announcements. Deplaning the captain stood at the door thanking us for flying and have a good day, Along with the FA's

I couldn't agree more...sad to see all of this disappear in yet another airline merger. Though I've had the pleasure of flying Virgin America on several shorter trips, my dream of taking them on a long-haul flight remains just that.

Max Q wrote:
Always thought it funny that ‘neck’ has to be added to ‘tie’ on this side of the Atlantic

greg85 wrote:
Haha! Same as “eyeglasses”. Just in case you weren’t sure where to put your glasses.

HA! Very true...likewise with a "PIN number." A personal identification number-number?
 
User avatar
AirKevin
Posts: 638
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:18 am

Re: Virgin America pilots - no neckties

Fri Apr 19, 2019 10:22 pm

AlnessW wrote:
Max Q wrote:
Always thought it funny that ‘neck’ has to be added to ‘tie’ on this side of the Atlantic

greg85 wrote:
Haha! Same as “eyeglasses”. Just in case you weren’t sure where to put your glasses.

HA! Very true...likewise with a "PIN number." A personal identification number-number?

Or "FedEx Express." Federal Express Express?
Captain Kevin
 
AlnessW
Posts: 667
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Virgin America pilots - no neckties

Sat Apr 20, 2019 12:02 am

AirKevin wrote:
Or "FedEx Express." Federal Express Express?

ATM machine!
 
Max Q
Posts: 8635
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Virgin America pilots - no neckties

Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:24 am

AlnessW wrote:
timh4000 wrote:
And FWIW my one time on VA was the best service I have ever had flying economy. They really made it a point to be super friendly. Even up front very detailed announcements. Deplaning the captain stood at the door thanking us for flying and have a good day, Along with the FA's

I couldn't agree more...sad to see all of this disappear in yet another airline merger. Though I've had the pleasure of flying Virgin America on several shorter trips, my dream of taking them on a long-haul flight remains just that.

Max Q wrote:
Always thought it funny that ‘neck’ has to be added to ‘tie’ on this side of the Atlantic

greg85 wrote:
Haha! Same as “eyeglasses”. Just in case you weren’t sure where to put your glasses.

HA! Very true...likewise with a "PIN number." A personal identification number-number?



Never thought of that, good point !



Aviation speak has numerous examples of this:


‘Negative’ of course is the abbreviation for the long winded ‘No’


And ‘Affirmative’ is short for the lengthy
‘Yes’
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


GGg
 
chrisair
Posts: 2171
Joined: Fri Sep 01, 2000 11:32 pm

Re: Virgin America pilots - no neckties

Fri Apr 26, 2019 3:06 am

AirKevin wrote:
Or "FedEx Express." Federal Express Express?


FedEx Express is a subsidiary of FedEx Corp. “Express” is the airline, which is a separate unit from FedEx Ground, FedEx Freight, FedEx Custom Critical etc.
 
User avatar
AirKevin
Posts: 638
Joined: Wed Apr 26, 2017 2:18 am

Re: Virgin America pilots - no neckties

Fri Apr 26, 2019 10:09 am

chrisair wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
Or "FedEx Express." Federal Express Express?

FedEx Express is a subsidiary of FedEx Corp. “Express” is the airline, which is a separate unit from FedEx Ground, FedEx Freight, FedEx Custom Critical etc.

I've also seen FedEx Express on the side of some of their trucks.
Captain Kevin

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: AdamsA, B6JFKH81 and 35 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos