airboeingbus
Topic Author

What happened to the A320 Electric Taxi System

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:38 am

A few years ago I remember seeing a electric taxi system that was being Tested on the A320. There is a video about it that I’ll link. What happened to this, it seems like a good development?

Link: https://youtu.be/r-gb2_yZW8U

greg85

Re: What happened to the A320 Electric Taxi System

Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:36 pm

I suppose they quietly parked the project.

TSS

Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:08 pm

greg85 wrote:

Good one. :thumbsup:

Back to the original question, I'd guess they decided the ability drive the plane like a car during the short time it is maneuvering on the ground wasn't worth the weight penalty incurred while the plane is in flight.
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

mxaxai

Tue Apr 30, 2019 8:55 pm

TSS wrote:
greg85 wrote:

Back to the original question, I'd guess they decided the ability drive the plane like a car during the short time it is maneuvering on the ground wasn't worth the weight penalty incurred while the plane is in flight.

Further:
How well does the system handle the regular shock loads on touch down?
How much additional maintenance does it need? Does it interfere with access to parts that require regular inspection or replacement (e. g. tyres)?
How expensive is it to certify, and to manufacture at the required rates?

I reallly like the idea and it could help to significantly reduce noise on the apron, as well as emissions on airport property. But for now it appears to be shelved.

TSS

Wed May 01, 2019 12:49 am

mxaxai wrote:
TSS wrote:
greg85 wrote:

Further:
How well does the system handle the regular shock loads on touch down?
How much additional maintenance does it need? Does it interfere with access to parts that require regular inspection or replacement (e. g. tyres)?
How expensive is it to certify, and to manufacture at the required rates?

I reallly like the idea and it could help to significantly reduce noise on the apron, as well as emissions on airport property. But for now it appears to be shelved.

If I remember correctly from the various threads that have appeared about this subject, the main driver behind this idea was the relatively recent development of comparatively small, lightweight, high-torque electric motors that would fit inside an aircraft's main landing gear wheels. My question in one of those other threads was why not use the new electric motors to build quiet, efficient electric aircraft tugs instead?
Able to kill active threads stone dead with a single post!

mxaxai

Wed May 01, 2019 9:47 pm

TSS wrote:
My question in one of those other threads was why not use the new electric motors to build quiet, efficient electric aircraft tugs instead?
Well if you use external tugs, you'd have to provide tugs to and from the runway. Unless these tugs are remote controlled from the cockpit, this adds significant personell cost. I also think that many airport tugs are actually derived from industrial tugs/vehicles, and most industries probably prefer the flexibility and endurance gasoline (diesel) provides over the low noise and high torque of modern electric motors.

ZaphodHarkonnen

Tue May 07, 2019 1:38 am

I imagine it just isn't worth the cost yet. Should/When fuel gets up to the previous highs I expect interest in this will grow again. As mentioned the fuel cost savings in the air have to be greater than the cost of carting it around and the cost of extra maintenance and training.