Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

Dobster
Topic Author

ATC Radio frequencies

Tue May 07, 2019 5:18 am

I live in southern England under busy airspace. I have an airband radio and often listen to the traffic as I watch it fly overhead. We get lots and lots of East and Westbound traffic in the cruise overflying Southern UK from Europe and the USA, more specifically using airways UL9,UL607. However I've been unable to identify the correct frequency to listen to and often the aircraft pass over without ever hearing them check in/out when entering the area, lower level aircraft I hear just not the higher level so assume they are on a different frequency. What;'s the best source of information to try and identify the correct frequencies please?

timz

Re: ATC Radio frequencies

Tue May 07, 2019 7:56 pm

If you can't get the info elsewhere, you can always try

When you're listening to a low-altitude plane, keep listening as it climbs, to hear the frequencies it changes to. You can hope to get the hi-alt freq for 100 miles west/east of you, then if you listen to that maybe you'll hear aircraft being handed off to the high sector above you, and reading that freq back.

m007j

Re: ATC Radio frequencies

Tue May 07, 2019 10:25 pm

http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/public/in ... id=11.html

Here's a link to the UK AIP which lists the services that UK ATC provides. Take a look at document ENR 2.1; this lists out every single frequency for each CTA and TMA (control area and terminal control area, basically the equivalent of "approach" in the US). You'll be interested in pages 70-78 of the document, which lists the sector boundaries by lat/lon. The right column has the airways associated with it.

To help with visualizing the correct sector to find it on ENR 2.1, use ENR 6.7 and 6.8 to locate the sector you want. Then go back to the list in ENR 2.1 (all of the London TMA sectors are in the pages listed above) and find your frequency. I can't promise this will get you the frequency you're looking for, but this is a great place to start IMO.