GeographyFlyer
Topic Author

NO FIR zone

Sun May 12, 2019 4:06 pm

Hey,

I recently came across NO FIR zone between Bodo and Murmansk oceanic airspace. I wonder what rules apply in these areas and can I find them elsewhere in the world?

Thank you in advance, GeographyFlyer.

thepinkmachine

Re: NO FIR zone

Sun May 12, 2019 4:11 pm

I would say normal Rules of the Air still apply, it’s just that no one is providing Flight Information Service (let alone ATC) in this region.
"Tell my wife I am trawling Atlantis - and I still have my hands on the wheel…"

GalaxyFlyer

Sun May 12, 2019 8:41 pm

There’s a number of areas with no FIR established. Just apply the ICAO SARPs until the next FIR boundary, no NOTAM or weather reporting (FIS) provided but hardly a problem there.

GF

Zeke2517

Tue May 14, 2019 5:50 am

thepinkmachine wrote:
I would say normal Rules of the Air still apply, it’s just that no one is providing Flight Information Service (let alone ATC) in this region.

Can “normal rules of the air” be properly defined in the absence of a governing body? There are a billion questions whose answers will be different depending where you are.

Woodreau

Tue May 14, 2019 6:04 am

The rules of the air that applies are the rules of the country where the aircraft is registered, I.e. US registered aircraft follow FAA rules. In practice they follow the rules of whatever rules are more restrictive, FAA rules or the rules of the country they are operating in as found in that countries AIP. But most countries comply with ICAO Annex 2.

https://www.icao.int/Meetings/anconf12/ ... 5B1%5D.pdf

Applicability

The Standards in this document, together with the Standards and Recommended Practices of Annex 11, govern the application of the Procedures for Air Navigation Services — Air Traffic Management (PANS-ATM, Doc 4444) and the Regional Supplementary Procedures — Rules of the Air and Air Traffic Services, contained in Doc 7030, in which latter document will be found subsidiary procedures of regional application.

Flight over the high seas. It should be noted that the Council resolved, in adopting Annex 2 in April 1948 and Amendment 1 to the said Annex in November 1951, that the Annex constitutes Rules relating to the flight and manoeuvre of aircraft within the meaning of Article 12 of the Convention. Over the high seas, therefore, these rules apply without exception.

On 15 November 1972, when adopting Amendment 14 to Annex 2 relating to authority over aircraft operating over the high seas, the Council emphasized that the Amendment was intended solely to improve safety of flight and to ensure adequate provision of air traffic services over the high seas. The Amendment in no way affects the legal jurisdiction of States of Registry over their aircraft or the responsibility of Contracting States under Article 12 of the Convention for enforcing the Rules of the Air.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

GeographyFlyer
Topic Author

Sun May 19, 2019 11:41 am

Woodreau wrote:
The rules of the air that applies are the rules of the country where the aircraft is registered, I.e. US registered aircraft follow FAA rules. In practice they follow the rules of whatever rules are more restrictive, FAA rules or the rules of the country they are operating in as found in that countries AIP. But most countries comply with ICAO Annex 2.

https://www.icao.int/Meetings/anconf12/ ... 5B1%5D.pdf

Applicability

The Standards in this document, together with the Standards and Recommended Practices of Annex 11, govern the application of the Procedures for Air Navigation Services — Air Traffic Management (PANS-ATM, Doc 4444) and the Regional Supplementary Procedures — Rules of the Air and Air Traffic Services, contained in Doc 7030, in which latter document will be found subsidiary procedures of regional application.

Flight over the high seas. It should be noted that the Council resolved, in adopting Annex 2 in April 1948 and Amendment 1 to the said Annex in November 1951, that the Annex constitutes Rules relating to the flight and manoeuvre of aircraft within the meaning of Article 12 of the Convention. Over the high seas, therefore, these rules apply without exception.

On 15 November 1972, when adopting Amendment 14 to Annex 2 relating to authority over aircraft operating over the high seas, the Council emphasized that the Amendment was intended solely to improve safety of flight and to ensure adequate provision of air traffic services over the high seas. The Amendment in no way affects the legal jurisdiction of States of Registry over their aircraft or the responsibility of Contracting States under Article 12 of the Convention for enforcing the Rules of the Air.

And do you have to obtain clearance prior to entering the zone? Do you have to contact ATC when entering the preceding controlled airspace by yourself?

GalaxyFlyer

Sun May 19, 2019 7:06 pm

You are “cleared to leave controlled airspace” and required to call Murmansk for clearance to enter Murmansk airspace prior to entry. With this being a very short transition, it maybe arranged for the crews. In some areas, like the South Atlantic, you could be outside an FIR for a long period and it’s be up to the crew to request entry clearance.

GF