Moderators: richierich, ua900, hOMSaR

jensona6
Topic Author

Flight Deck visit in-flight?

Tue May 14, 2019 6:27 pm

Hey there,
Post 9-11 and the current security situation, do pilots and airlines still allow passengers to visit and stay in flight deck while takeoff/cruising/landing? Just a random question, cause I do really want to witness the amazing sight out of jump seat once.

Moosefire

Re: Flight Deck visit in-flight?

Tue May 14, 2019 6:28 pm

No
MD-11F/C-17A Pilot

JAGflyer

Tue May 14, 2019 6:40 pm

Unless you're flying on a very very lax carrier or you have a very close connection with a pilot who's on-duty it's pretty much unheard of these days. It's certainly not legal on any airline to allow public passengers into the flight deck during flight so most people (if they do get the chance to) wouldn't speak about it. On the ground, it's common and relatively easy to ask to look around.
If you flew today, thank a Flight Dispatcher!

DALMD80

Tue May 14, 2019 6:54 pm

Are you deadheading? Otherwise, not a chance if it's a US carrier and probably most others as well.
Farewell to the Mad Dogs- the first week of June 2020 will be remembered by most of us here on A.net as the day the Mad Dogs left.

BoeingGuy

Tue May 14, 2019 7:46 pm

JAGflyer wrote:
Unless you're flying on a very very lax carrier or you have a very close connection with a pilot who's on-duty it's pretty much unheard of these days. It's certainly not legal on any airline to allow public passengers into the flight deck during flight so most people (if they do get the chance to) wouldn't speak about it. On the ground, it's common and relatively easy to ask to look around.

A few carriers still allow it at Captain’s discretion if you aren’t flying into a country that prohibits it like the US or Canada.

Woodreau

Tue May 14, 2019 9:29 pm

Become a flight attendant, FAA inspector, dispatcher, or secret service agent if you want to visit a flightdeck inflight.
Or become a pilot for an air carrier that has reciprocal jumpseat agreements.

Failing that, get listed as an authorized passenger on a part 91 ferry flight.

Or find a B1900 operator and book a flight on a 1900. those planes don’t have flight deck doors.
I flew 1900s after 9/11 and passengers got to see what we did in the cockpit every flight. I even handed a few passengers sitting in 1A a headset so that they could hear what was going on on the radios.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

Boair

Tue May 14, 2019 9:44 pm

In many occasions I had the oportunity to visit the flight deck in flight or jumpseat during landing or T/O with Air France and Transavia. I just ask the pilots during boarding, or give them a letter explaining that I am an avgeek and it work 40-50% of the time (at least on the European flights).
A313 A318 A319 A320 A321 A21N A330 A343 A380 B734 B73H B738 B744 B752 B763 B77E B77W B788 B789 AT72 DH8D MD88 E145 E175 E190 IL96 F100 PC6 PA28

chimborazo

Wed May 15, 2019 1:26 am

Yes it is possible. I have done it.... on a 777 a couple of years ago. Legal... I doubt it.

planecane

Wed May 15, 2019 4:59 am

JAGflyer wrote:
On the ground, it's common and relatively easy to ask to look around.

Back in March, on a flight I was a passenger on, an AA captain invited the passengers to visit the flight deck after we parked at the gate. It was very cool and a lot of not-avgeeks took him up on it and you could see how much they enjoyed it.

benjjk

Wed May 15, 2019 6:43 am

I did a scenic flight over Mt Everest in an ATR last year, and they invited every single passenger into the cockpit in-flight. Highly recommended.

Redbellyguppy

Wed May 15, 2019 7:33 am

Isn’t the service ceiling of an atr FL250? A lousy platform for viewing a mountain 4000 ft higher th that...

IAHFLYR

Wed May 15, 2019 3:31 pm

Woodreau wrote:
Become a flight attendant, FAA inspector, dispatcher, or secret service agent if you want to visit a flightdeck inflight.

Or find a B1900 operator and book a flight on a 1900. those planes don’t have flight deck doors.
I flew 1900s after 9/11 and passengers got to see what we did in the cockpit every flight. I even handed a few passengers sitting in 1A a headset so that they could hear what was going on on the radios.

Don't forget to put Air Traffic Controller into those authorized to occupy the jumpseat! :) Even though very few actually use the program the FAA has in place due to the requirements that have to be met it's still a very worthwhile opportunity and they should use it and the view is amazing.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

BoeingGuy

Wed May 15, 2019 4:45 pm

IAHFLYR wrote:
Woodreau wrote:

Don't forget to put Air Traffic Controller into those authorized to occupy the jumpseat! :) Even though very few actually use the program the FAA has in place due to the requirements that have to be met it's still a very worthwhile opportunity and they should use it and the view is amazing.

There are also regulations that allow for authorized manufacturer representatives to occupy the jumpstart if there are valid technical reasons to do so. For example, Boeing people have ridden jumpseat for a week with certain carriers in certain countries to observe crews’ use of certain systems.

jensona6
Topic Author

Wed May 15, 2019 7:01 pm

Thank you guys, I really wanted some insight over this thing and finally it seems I've got some idea over it.
Cheers!!!!!

Starlionblue

Wed May 15, 2019 11:07 pm

IAHFLYR wrote:
Woodreau wrote:

Marry a pilot is also an option. ;)
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

longhauler

Thu May 16, 2019 12:05 am

Starlionblue wrote:

Oddly enough, in Canada, my spouse can not ride in the cockpit jumpseat, unless they are an employee (domestic) or one of those named above (international).

I often found it odd that I can carry Bob from Accounting in the cockpit (without a security pass), but not the guy I have lived with for 20 years!
Just because I stopped arguing, doesn't mean I think you are right. It just means I gave up!

Woodreau

Thu May 16, 2019 3:44 am

IAHFLYR wrote:

I have had an air traffic controller in my jumpseat before and it was a great flight. We got to pick each other’s brains about. Why do you do this or that etc... and seeing their point of view.

Same for dispatchers. It was another flight of why do dispatchers do this or that and hearing their point of view as well.

Starlionblue wrote:

Definitely no bueno, as much as my kid and spouse would like to see the flight deck in flight, it’s not possible.

The director of operations can authorize anyone specifically by name to ride in the flight deck in flight. So if you happen to know any air carrier directors of operations you can try that route as well.

We had the airline CEO ride up front one time.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

Starlionblue

Thu May 16, 2019 6:15 am

Woodreau wrote:
IAHFLYR wrote:

I have had an air traffic controller in my jumpseat before and it was a great flight. We got to pick each other’s brains about. Why do you do this or that etc... and seeing their point of view.

Same for dispatchers. It was another flight of why do dispatchers do this or that and hearing their point of view as well.

Starlionblue wrote:

Definitely no bueno, as much as my kid and spouse would like to see the flight deck in flight, it’s not possible.

The director of operations can authorize anyone specifically by name to ride in the flight deck in flight. So if you happen to know any air carrier directors of operations you can try that route as well.

We had the airline CEO ride up front one time.

Country and airline specific I guess. My kids, wife and parents can all sit in the cockpit (but not in a cabin crew seat).
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

sierrakilo44

Thu May 16, 2019 9:14 am

JAGflyer wrote:
On the ground, it's common and relatively easy to ask to look around.

I’ve heard anecdotally now that several major international carriers have instituted a complete ban on any passengers visiting the flight deck pre or post flight. Not even little kids are allowed to have a peek inside. Whether it’s a for safety, security, industrial or business reasons I’m not sure.

It’s a huge shame because I don’t know where the next generation of flyers are going to come from if we cut off even basic attempts at outreach like this?

IAHFLYR

Thu May 16, 2019 1:32 pm

Woodreau wrote:
IAHFLYR wrote:

Indeed, especially when you realize that most controllers are not pilots and have very limited background into what happens on a flight deck, even more so with automation. Picking brains is certainly a great training tool.....and you airplane drivers should also visit an ATC facility where you're based.
Any views shared are strictly my own and do not a represent those of any former employer.

Woodreau

Thu May 16, 2019 10:12 pm

sierrakilo44 wrote:
It’s a huge shame because I don’t know where the next generation of flyers are going to come from if we cut off even basic attempts at outreach like this?

The next generation will come from the social media “influencers”. This guys already got his YouTube Play button and his flow through to American.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVT_dm ... kuqPG3pFQg

B747forever

Thu May 16, 2019 10:47 pm

Yes, it still happens from time to time. Last June I flew back home with SAS ARN-LAX and visited the flight deck when we were over Greenland. Was a clear day, so had amazing views of Greenland. Was there for about 30 minutes!
Work Hard, Fly Right

sierrakilo44

Thu May 16, 2019 11:31 pm

Woodreau wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

The next generation will come from the social media “influencers”. This guys already got his YouTube Play button and his flow through to American.

A generation of insta-pilots.

I wonder if they’ll be too busy taking selfies of themselves in their seats to look out of the window and contemplate the view?

Starlionblue

Fri May 17, 2019 3:04 am

sierrakilo44 wrote:
Woodreau wrote:
sierrakilo44 wrote:

A generation of insta-pilots.

I wonder if they’ll be too busy taking selfies of themselves in their seats to look out of the window and contemplate the view?

I've flown with quite a few pilots in their early twenties. They contemplate the view just fine.

TEALflyer

Sat May 25, 2019 9:08 am

Last December I was asked if I’d be an attendant on a freighter we’d chartered.
After being given a cockpit safety briefing (Evac, O2 procedures, etc. No photo/film, no talking), I had the middle jump seat for takeoff and landing. A truly amazing experience...