Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

FromCDGtoSYD
Topic Author

Why don't Airlines use different seats in Business

Mon May 20, 2019 3:16 pm

Ok so, this might sound like a stupid question but I was wondering why airlines don't use different seats in J.

Let me explain.
Various seats have pros and cons and airlines often have to decide between lie flat, storage, privacy... and of course the real estate taken on board.
Reverse herringbone seats have the disadvantage of not being able to speak easily with the person next to you in middle seats. In a staggered configuration, aisle seats are subpar as you don't really get a window, and you're basically sleeping in the aisle.
So why don't airlines use say reverse herringbone seating for window seats (like CX, AA, AF...) and apex suites for middle seats (KE, JL, GF...)

Is it because of consistancy ? Clauses with suppliers ? Simplicity ?

MoKa777

Re: Why don't Airlines use different seats in Business

Mon May 20, 2019 9:16 pm

Consistency, larger pool of replacement parts, cabin space constraints, etc. may be considerations.

I'm not so sure, maybe someone with greater knowledge on the subject can weigh in, but will something like this complicate certification - two different seat designs sharing the same space?

Sounds like a decent idea, though.
Never be proud. Always be grateful.

atomicstar

Mon May 20, 2019 9:20 pm

It is more difficult to build a plane with so many different seats in mass production terms. It is cheaper to mass produce a couple different types of seats than to produce so many different seats.

And airlines will need to hold more different parts in the warehouse for repairing seating parts

Starlionblue

Wed May 22, 2019 7:39 am

There are already slightly different versions of the seats on the plane. Not pertinent for the user but the bulkhead seats have some differences. And this does lead to more expensive certification. However, they are almost the same for parts commonality.

I'm guessing airlines want the product to be consistent. If you mix types in one aircraft you'll end up with unhappy passengers, because different people perceive different seats as better or worse.

"Sleeping in the aisle" is not really an issue IMHO. Newer seats have larger privacy dividers and there's plenty of space to cozy up in there. It's not like any part of my body is within 15-20cm of the aisle.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

shamrock137

Wed May 22, 2019 8:47 pm

FromCDGtoSYD wrote:
Ok so, this might sound like a stupid question but I was wondering why airlines don't use different seats in J.

Not 100% sure I understand what you're asking, but some configurations do allow for different options in the same aircraft. The Thompson Aero Vantage seat that B6 uses allows for side by side lie flat, and "suites" with a closeable door every other row so you get a bit of both. Even when in a wide body config such as EI, they have rows of 2, then single. Would that be sort of what you're talking about?

https://www.thompsonaero.com/seating-range/vantage/
Time to spare? Go by air!