A380MSN004
Topic Author

On Flight Internet System / Turboprop

Sun May 26, 2019 4:34 pm

Hi everyone,

I did some researches but didn't find anything yet. I'd like to know if some Onflight Internet Systems exists for Turboprops such as ATR 72 or Q400s?

Thanks for your feedbacks.

VSMUT

Re: On Flight Internet System / Turboprop

Sun May 26, 2019 5:29 pm

They do exist, but I am not aware of anybody installing them. Turboprops generally don't fly long routes where any sort of entertainment is warranted. Those few that do fly them on longer legs aren't the sort of airlines that splash out on expensive entertainment options to begin with.

A380MSN004
Topic Author

Sun May 26, 2019 6:31 pm

VSMUT wrote:
They do exist, but I am not aware of anybody installing them. Turboprops generally don't fly long routes where any sort of entertainment is warranted. Those few that do fly them on longer legs aren't the sort of airlines that splash out on expensive entertainment options to begin with.

Can you tell us what providers have equipments Who could work on turboprops?

VSMUT

Sun May 26, 2019 7:09 pm

No. I just know it is an option.

unimproved

Sun May 26, 2019 8:00 pm

If it works on a jet, it works on a turboprop. Not much difference in drilling a hole on top of the fuselage.

Actually getting someone to pay for the STC is going to be the hard part.

atomicstar

Wed May 29, 2019 4:25 am

I’m not sure about what providers there are.

However, it should work, as there’s still internet on jets at low altitude. Also, can a Q400 for example be retrofitted with a receiver by cutting a hole in the top of the fuselage to mount the receiver?

dlednicer
Editor

Sat Jun 08, 2019 11:48 pm

atomicstar wrote:
I’m not sure about what providers there are.

However, it should work, as there’s still internet on jets at low altitude. Also, can a Q400 for example be retrofitted with a receiver by cutting a hole in the top of the fuselage to mount the receiver?

Air-to-satellite (ATS) systems are not installed by cutting a hole in the top of the fuselage. To do so would require installing a pressure box to house the antenna. Instead, the antennas are usually mounted on baseplates, that are themselves mounted on feet attached to the aircraft structure. There are some exceptions, where the antennas are mounted directly to aircraft structure.

There are ATS systems certified on many turboprops (King Airs, DHC-8, CN235, etc.), but they are all for military or governmental use. I am not aware of any on turboprops in airline service. There is no reason you couldn't install an air-to-ground (ATG) on a turboprop, but I don't think this has ever been done.