wayi
Topic Author

How much a retraining is needed?

Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:23 am

My boss and his wife both have commercial pilots licenses and are currently certified to fly the citation 1. How many hours of training and flying would they need to fly a citation X? He is considering buying the citation X. Once certified to fly the X can he switch back-and-forth between the citation one and citation X or does he need to recertify each time he switches plane?

I have a private pilots license and have flown a Cessna 172. What training and how many hours what I need to be able to copilot the citation X?

AirKevin

Re: How much a retraining is needed?

Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:01 am

At a minimum, I think you would need an instrument rating, night rating, and multi-engine rating.
Captain Kevin

Starlionblue

Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:16 pm

Either way they'd need a type rating on the X. It's probably a full course from the I. It's not "retraining". It's training. You're not having to relearn stuff. You're learning new stuff. And if you already have jet experience, it does help.

If they are separate ratings, which I'm guessing they are, then as long as both are kept current, it is fine to fly both,

(Night rating isn't really a thing everywhere.)
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

BravoOne

Mon Jun 03, 2019 1:45 pm

Suggest you contact someone like Flight Safety and pose the question as they know the in and outs of these issues best.

Woodreau

Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:09 pm

There are regulatory training requirements which are one thing. The FAA (in the US or your country’s civil aviation authority if you’re not in the US) dictates those and commercial training providers like Flight Safety, Simuflite etc. they provide the training and the type rating and the annual recurrent training to operate the aircraft.

And then there are insurance requirements dictated by the insurance company. I’m assuming your boss is not self insured.

So while the FAA May mandate a certain amount of hours (for example for a private pilot with a type rating, might require a minimum of 25hours supervised flying acting as PIC in type before being allowed to be PIC - just as an example making up numbers). Insurance may or may not require a much higher number, i.e. total time, time in type, etc

If the boss is self insured then all of this doesn’t matter it’s just what the FAA/civil aviation authority says.

To add on to AirKevin, you can fly a Citation X and a Citation I as a private pilot - you don’t need a commercial certificate or an ATP certificate but you’d probably need to get a multi engine rating and a type rating for the Citation X and the Citation I if you wanted to fly that as well. the type rating will require you to fly instrument approaches so while I don’t think you need an instrument rating (I could be wrong) , you would be required to demonstrate many of the items of an instrument rating on your type rating checkride so that you practically need an instrument rating as well.

Without the commercial pilot certificate though I don’t think you’d be able to fly the Citation X/I at night.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

BravoOne

Mon Jun 03, 2019 5:19 pm

Check out FAR 61-107a as it lays out requirements for operations above FL250. This may only apply to those seeking PIC authority, but if you have never operated at high altitude it may well be worth taking a look, Typical course lasts 5 days / $5000USD. Mandatory if you want to take the FAA ATP written. Usually includes 4 or 5 hours full flight sim time. Most training centers offer this program along with a few Part 142 airline operators. The Citation X is a really nice high performance aircraft but not meant for low time inexperienced pilots FWIW.

FlyHossD

Tue Jun 04, 2019 2:09 pm

BravoOne wrote:
Check out FAR 61-107a as it lays out requirements for operations above FL250. This may only apply to those seeking PIC authority, but if you have never operated at high altitude it may well be worth taking a look, Typical course lasts 5 days / $5000USD. Mandatory if you want to take the FAA ATP written. Usually includes 4 or 5 hours full flight sim time. Most training centers offer this program along with a few Part 142 airline operators. The Citation X is a really nice high performance aircraft but not meant for low time inexperienced pilots FWIW.

And most definitely check with the insurance company!
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.