OneX123
Topic Author

Pilot Expense Policies

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:30 pm

Hi All,

As a frequent business traveler myself, I've always wondered how good the expense/hotel policies are for pilots while on the road?

I've been forced to stay in my fair share of old & shabby Fairfields/Holiday Inn's but typically while on the road my company gives us $65 a day for food & drink and nicer hotels are not uncommon.

I know there will be a big divide between the expense policies of long haul pilots vs. regionals overnighting...or potentially between the US3 and some international carriers, but I was just hoping to get the conversation started.

I once saw an international crew (maybe Swiss?) leaving the Trump hotel in downtown Chicago...politics aside, not the worst place to spend a night!!

Best,

Varsity1

Re: Pilot Expense Policies

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:42 pm

US3 here.

Hotels vary greatly. Most cities have a long overnight hotel (downtown, food within walking distance) and a short overnight (cheap hotel by the airport.) Pilots aren't compensated for any expenses other than standard per diem rates. Everything else (hotels, transportation) is arranged by company. If a pilot has to uber to get food, he/she must pay for that on their own.

Most airlines have "international override" per diem for long haul, which is about $1/hr more than domestic.
"PPRuNe will no longer allow discussions regarding Etihad Airlines, its employees, executives, agents, or other representatives. Such threads will be deleted." - ME3 thug airlines suing anyone who brings negative information public..

Ionosphere

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:44 pm

I think the industry standard is that pilots are paid a per diem amount hourly to cover expenses like food. It's not a lot of money hourly but adds up. It's paid from when you sign in to the end of your trip continuously. The airline pays for the hotel. Depending on the airline, there might be some contractual standards for hotels (wifi, restaurant). I think every airline has some real dumps and then some really nice hotels.

Busyboy2

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:45 pm

I fly for a large American Carrier and we stay at nice places for the most part. Lots of Marriots, Westins, Hiltons, etc... International hotels are sometimes beach resorts or similar. As far as expenses, we get paid a per diem for whatever we need. Every other US airline does the same thing. All the hotels offer substantial discounts for food and drinks at their restaurants.

dredgy

Tue Jun 04, 2019 3:45 pm

On international airlines (unsure about US) accommodations are usually pretty good. For pilots, 5 star accommodation is often a contractual requirement.
For flight attendants high quality hotels are still usually the norm. I worked for Accor for a while and most airlines that flew to our city had crew agreements with us in either Ibis, Novotel or Mercure. Pilots from some airlines stayed with us at Sofitel or Pullman. I know luxury serviced apartments also filled out with flight crew fairly often as well.

Staying as a guest at the Ibis in Delhi Aerocity (no longer employed by accor) I stayed at bar for 3 hours and met flight crew from about 20 different airlines. That’s an above average business hotel.

787Driver

Tue Jun 04, 2019 4:34 pm

Hotels are paid for, and breakfast is always included free of charge. Lunch and dinner are covered by the per diems we receive. Hotels vary. Some next to the terminal and some right in the city center.

dredgy wrote:
On international airlines (unsure about US) accommodations are usually pretty good. For pilots, 5 star accommodation is often a contractual requirement.

No longer the case in many airlines. I guess it may be for certain flag carriers and ME3, but in my airline for example, we even stay at holiday inn at a certain destination, but the location of that hotel is superb though.

VSMUT

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:35 pm

Been in multiple minor airlines (all on regional planes), sometimes with hotels arranged through major airlines due to contractual reasons. I've stayed in 5 star hotel suites complete with kitchens and multiple bedrooms (a bit of a waste tbh), but I've also slept in a reclining chair in the crew room, in a bus or not even been provided anything at all.

Mostly its been roughly 4-star hotels, slightly above medium but nothing to write home about. Holiday Inn, Best Western, Novotel and that sort of stuff is most common. Better is Ramada, Intercontinental, Crowne Plaza, Radisson and similar, but those are a bit more rare.

Minimum standard tends to be wifi, silent rooms, proper physical locks on the doors, restaurant available, fitness center and CCTV on the corridors.

787Driver

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:38 pm

VSMUT wrote:
Been in multiple minor airlines (all on regional planes), sometimes with hotels arranged through major airlines due to contractual reasons. I've stayed in 5 star hotel suites complete with kitchens and multiple bedrooms (a bit of a waste tbh), but I've also slept in a reclining chair in the crew room, in a bus or not even been provided anything at all.

Mostly its been roughly 4-star hotels, slightly above medium but nothing to write home about. Holiday Inn, Best Western, Novotel and that sort of stuff is most common. Better is Ramada, Intercontinental, Crowne Plaza, Radisson and similar, but those are a bit more rare.

Minimum standard tends to be wifi, silent rooms, proper physical locks on the doors, restaurant available, fitness center and CCTV on the corridors.

I second all of that. Are we colleagues? :D

VSMUT

Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:15 pm

787Driver wrote:
VSMUT wrote:

I second all of that. Are we colleagues? :D

:lol:

I used to hang out with some Canadian 767 crews in CGN in the past?

Most fun was a contract on a holiday island in the Med. There were none of your standard chain-brand business oriented hotels, so we were put in an all-inclusive tourist/beach resort miles from the airport. We even got a rental car to use! Hotel treated us really well, they had never had guests stay for more than 1 or 2 weeks in a row.

Woodreau

Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:10 pm

Of all the airlines I’ve worked for (regional and low cost carrier) the only expenses I have had are my own meals, for which the airline pays a per diem.
The airline pays for the overnight hotels and transportation to and from the hotel if the hotel does not provide transportation.

If the transportation or hotel fails to show within 15 minutes of arrival, we are allowed to take a taxi and expense it to the airline.

So in reality, the travel expense I personally incur is minimal.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

Starlionblue

Wed Jun 05, 2019 12:03 am

Pretty similar for us as previous posts. Most hotels are pretty nice, and some are fantastic. Hotels all have a gym, free wifi for crew, silent rooms. Transportation to and from the hotel is by crew bus. We don't pay for the room. Just incidentals.

Most hotels have steep discounts on meals, and I imagine hotels give big discounts to airlines for these regular blocks of rooms. I suppose it's quite predictable and not a lot of admin compared to regular guests. Also, our rooms don't get cleaned/serviced during our stay except on request, which cuts down on workload for the hotel staff.

As mentioned, the only expense you have to incur is meals, for which a per diem is paid by the hotel on arrival. In some places, you seem to burn through the per diem every time, whereas in others you always seem to have some left over when you leave. Very much depends on where you choose to eat and what you order, of course.

The main difference between hotels is the location relative to the city the airport serves. Some are located in city centres, while others are near the airport, or even at the airport. If the hotel isn't in the city centre, there'll typically be a regular shuttle provided to take us there and back.

On a personal note, we fly to some fantastic destinations to which I have no desire to operate, purely because the hotel is in a massively dull location with nothing around, and a rather infrequent long shuttle ride to town. On the other hand, I will often request some destinations that are not commonly seen as interesting places to visit, because the hotel is well placed with lots of nice restaurants and other stuff to do within walking distance or a short tram ride away.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

e38

Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:33 am

Quoting OneX123 (thread starter), " . . . typically while on the road my company gives us $65 a day for food & drink . . ."

OneX123, as a point of reference, at the air carrier at which I work (major carrier in the United States), our per diem is based on a dollar amount per hours away from our base; however, it averages out to about $45 a day; approximately $600 - $650 during a typical month.

In contrast to the statement by Starlionblue above (Reply # 11)--different airline and different area of operation--"the only expense you have to incur is meals, for which a per diem is paid by the hotel on arrival." At the company at which I work, the per diem is paid by the company. As you can see, it varies from company to company.

As others have mentioned, we do not have transportation costs. We either get to our layover hotel on a hotel shuttle or on a van/limo contracted with a local (reputable) transportation provider. Many of the hotels at which we stay (particularly downtown in larger cities) do not run transportation from the hotels to the airport.

If the layover is scheduled for 12 hours or less, we normally stay at an airport hotel; however, if it is greater than 12 hours, the hotel is generally downtown. The hotels are generally very nice--Sheraton, Westin, Hilton, Doubletree, Hyatt, Crown Plaza, etc. Even the airport hotels are nice--same hotel chains as the downtown layovers.

e38

dennypayne

Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:34 pm

e38 wrote:
The hotels are generally very nice--Sheraton, Westin, Hilton, Doubletree, Hyatt, Crown Plaza, etc.

Do crews get to accrue and keep any hotel loyalty points from these stays?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
A300/310/319/320/321/332/333/343/380 AN24/28/38/148 ATR72 B190
B717/722/732/3/4/5/7/8/9 742/744/752/753/762/763/764/772/773/788
CR2/7/9 D8S D9S D95 DH2 D328 E110/120/135/140/145/170/175/190
F100 JS31 L1011 L410 M11/80/90 RJ85 S340 SSJ100 Tu134/154 Yak42

LH707330

Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:54 pm

dennypayne wrote:
e38 wrote:
The hotels are generally very nice--Sheraton, Westin, Hilton, Doubletree, Hyatt, Crown Plaza, etc.

You'd be a fool not to sign up IMHO. Why would the airline care?

Woodreau

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:01 am

dennypayne wrote:
e38 wrote:

Like everything else in aviation, it depends....
Depends on what the airline has negotiated with the hotel company. Nowadays, hotel contracting has been outsourced to a subcontractor and is not done by the airline itself.

At my airline when I try to give my personal hotel reward account number for the different hotel chains we stay at it's usually, oh your airline contract with us doesn't allow you to get points or stays...

But what the airline pays for the rooms is a fraction of what the general travelling public pays, for example at a 5-star hotel where people would be paying $200-300-400/night, the airline gets the room for less than $50-70 (when they've slipped a bill under the door and I see what our airline was charged - nothing like what I'd have to pay if I booked the room personally.... usually means the credit card declined and I just make a phone call to the chief pilot to ask him to take care of the bill...).
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:05 am

Just a different POV-corporate flying- we were “actual expenses”; eat and, mostly, stay where we wanted within reason. Corporate travel would nix some places as too expensive, but usually in an audit. Marriott, Hilton, Shanghai-La in Asia. Keep the points for both airline and hotels. I retired with 1.5 million Marriott points but missed making Platinum For Life. My admin assistant appreciated the weekend at Marriott Marquis NYC in points. A number of our pilots were PFL. Meals within reason—an occasional blow out at a Morton’s was okay balanced by pizza during the trip. I had a $2500 dinner and bar bill once with a group of crews in Moscow. Reluctantly was reimbursed after a stiff fingered warning.

It was getting tightened considerably in my last two years. Other departments were notably more and less generous. One had a catering limit for on-board breakfast at $25 per pax. Impossible to do.

GF

e38

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:13 am

Quoting dennypayne (Reply # 13), "Do crews get to accrue and keep any hotel loyalty points from these stays?"

dennypayne, at the company at which I work, the answer is "no." Corporate policy states that if we (the crewmember) are not paying for the hotel room, then we are not entitled to accrue points from the stay.

Quoting LH707330 (Reply # 14), "Why would the airline care?"

LH707330, I don't know, but for some reason, they do.

e38

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:16 am

The carriers negotiate the rates based on no points—it saves the carrier MONEY. The hotel chains offer “travel industry” rates based on those rates not being eligible for points.

They want the points going to the customers paying rack rates.

GF

VSMUT

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:46 am

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
The carriers negotiate the rates based on no points—it saves the carrier MONEY. The hotel chains offer “travel industry” rates based on those rates not being eligible for points.

GF

Never say never. One former employer negotiated all rates with points for the pilots. They also placed us in the most upend hotels, so I earned loads of miles that year.
Generally there has always been a hotel or two in my network that still gave us points.

jchaase

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:51 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
Pretty similar for us as previous posts. Most hotels are pretty nice, and some are fantastic. Hotels all have a gym, free wifi for crew, silent rooms. Transportation to and from the hotel is by crew bus. We don't pay for the room. Just incidentals.

What's a "silent room"? How do I get one of those? Is there a special wink-wink, nudge-nudge you do at the front desk, or is it just high floor away from elevator kind of thing?

Starlionblue

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:13 pm

jchaase wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

What's a "silent room"? How do I get one of those? Is there a special wink-wink, nudge-nudge you do at the front desk, or is it just high floor away from elevator kind of thing?

Just means you have to be able to sleep at any time night and day without being disturbed by noise. Good insulating windows, blackout curtains, and no cleaning staff knocking.

Not that all our rooms are perfect in this way, but normally it's pretty quiet.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

GalaxyFlyer

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:28 pm

VSMUT wrote:
GalaxyFlyer wrote:

GF

Never say never. One former employer negotiated all rates with points for the pilots. They also placed us in the most upend hotels, so I earned loads of miles that year.
Generally there has always been a hotel or two in my network that still gave us points.

For some reason, UPS and FDX pilots get frequent flyer points on positioning flights, can’t say about hotels. I didn’t never, just that’s a normal negotiation point.

GF

e38

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:54 pm

Quoting jchaase (Reply # 20), " Is there a special wink-wink, nudge-nudge you do at the front desk . . ?"

jchaase, this is somewhat of a ridiculous question. Of course we DON'T do a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" at the front desk. As Starlionblue mentioned above, quiet rooms are contractually negotiated between the airline and the hotel for rooms that are generally on a higher floor (so as to be further away from street noise in the city), and further away from elevators and or soda machines/ice makers (if those are present on the floor). If a particular side of the hotel tends to be subject to less noise than the other side, that will be the side of the hotel that the rooms are reserved for the aircrews. Also, the housekeeping staff normally has a roster of what time we plan to check out, so the staff avoids knocking on the door at 9:00 a.m. to see if we need anything. (I always display the DO NOT DISTURB sign nevertheless).

We normally do not select our room when checking in to a hotel. The rooms are generally pre-assigned for the particular airline and sometimes for the specific flight upon which we have arrived.

e38

Starlionblue

Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:06 pm

e38 wrote:
Quoting jchaase (Reply # 20), " Is there a special wink-wink, nudge-nudge you do at the front desk . . ?"

jchaase, this is somewhat of a ridiculous question. Of course we DON'T do a "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" at the front desk. As Starlionblue mentioned above, quiet rooms are contractually negotiated between the airline and the hotel for rooms that are generally on a higher floor (so as to be further away from street noise in the city), and further away from elevators and or soda machines/ice makers (if those are present on the floor). If a particular side of the hotel tends to be subject to less noise than the other side, that will be the side of the hotel that the rooms are reserved for the aircrews. Also, the housekeeping staff normally has a roster of what time we plan to check out, so the staff avoids knocking on the door at 9:00 a.m. to see if we need anything. (I always display the DO NOT DISTURB sign nevertheless).

We normally do not select our room when checking in to a hotel. The rooms are generally pre-assigned for the particular airline and sometimes for the specific flight upon which we have arrived.

e38

Speaking of high floors and quiet rooms... Once at our crew hotel in a European city I got a room on the highest floor, which was the seventh or something like that. Above it is a roof terrace, with a bar and pool. It was Saturday night. None of us was unaware that the roof terrace was turned into a disco on Saturdays. Some of us got back from dinner and noticed a long line to the lifts, and a bouncer... After asking what was going on, the bouncer understood we were staying at the hotel and let us pass the line. Back in my room, the bathroom fixtures were vibrating from the bass line of the music, and the crowd noise was... significant . Earplugs masked most of the noise but it still took a while to fall sleep. A quick email to the relevant department ensured crew would no longer be assigned top floor rooms at that hotel.

And speaking of housekeeping... https://youtu.be/YoZE0nE60sk?t=262

If you haven't seen them, I recommend all three "Living the Dream" shorts. They poke some fun at more absurd bits of pilot life. https://www.youtube.com/user/Balroc12/videos

CosmicCruiser

Sun Jun 09, 2019 1:46 am

Yes, we had the contractural agreements too but having them enforced every time was not going to happen. From hotel to hotel there was always the ice machine, the elevator, as starlion said, the roof top disco and list goes on. Of course we were often on the backside of everyone else so it was more fragile. We had house keeping ignore Do Not Disturb signs or worse yet call us on the phone when they saw the signs. There were hotels that really liked us and gave us lots of goodies. In Paris one hotel gave us a complimentary Thanksgiving dinner French style as well as a British hotel that did it too. Then there was a resort hotel we stayed at in Campinas that pretended they didn't know we were coming that day and had sold out the rooms for a wedding party. They sent us off to a boutique hotel in downtown Campinas and we listened to gunshots all night. There were two occasions where someone walked into my room while I was sleeping because the front desk thought my room was empty and gave them a key. Crazy stuff but 90% of the time was very cool and 10% just weird. We stayed in very nice hotels unless you were at the airport then they were, well, airport hotels.

VSMUT

Sun Jun 09, 2019 7:26 am

jchaase wrote:
Starlionblue wrote:

Away from elevators, at the end of corridors where less people walk by, on floors without kids (if possible). If competent, cleaning staff has been informed not to clean until late afternoon or evening. Nothing special to it, you can request all of that yourself. For us the airline makes arrangements prior to our arrival, so we just get it automatically.

Woodreau

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:06 am

“silent rooms” are necessary when you check in at 6am after a red eye flight and check out at 6pm for the next duty day (or duty night) of flying.

Nothing is more annoying that getting housekeeping knocking on the door at 9am after you’ve finally gotten to sleep by 7am.

I was honestly surprised during Mardi Gras in New Orleans there was a huge party going on on Bourbon Street outside the hotel, I could see the crowds in the street outside the window of my room, but couldn’t hear any of the accompanying noise in my hotel room.

Starlionblue

Sun Jun 09, 2019 10:32 am

Woodreau wrote:
“silent rooms” are necessary when you check in at 6am after a red eye flight and check out at 6pm for the next duty day (or duty night) of flying.

Nothing is more annoying that getting housekeeping knocking on the door at 9am after you’ve finally gotten to sleep by 7am.

I was honestly surprised during Mardi Gras in New Orleans there was a huge party going on on Bourbon Street outside the hotel, I could see the crowds in the street outside the window of my room, but couldn’t hear any of the accompanying noise in my hotel room.

Some hotels have magic spells on the windows that keep noise out. It is known.

Most of the airport hotels are like that. There'll be aircraft on final 1000 meters away, eerily silent...

BravoOne

Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:03 am

I had a long term contract with my employer that called for a room, car & meal allowance. Never once checked out of a Marriott property for over ten years. Couple million points and car rental points as well.

Not anything like that with the airlines, but pretty good none the less. Only corporate restriction was they did not want you charging booze on the company card which worked fairly well in most cases.

n92r03

Tue Jun 11, 2019 11:57 pm

I flew CX from HKG to JFK years ago and as I met family at a hotel in Manhattan, in walked the pilots and cabin crew from my flight. We had a good chuckle. I noticed what appeared to be one of the pilots handing out what I presumed to be per diem. Anyway, the hotel was as described above, slightly above average.

GalaxyFlyer

Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:06 am

CZ uses imprest for airline expenses? Wow, it is an RAF program!

CosmicCruiser

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:33 am

n92r03 wrote:
I flew CX from HKG to JFK years ago and as I met family at a hotel in Manhattan, in walked the pilots and cabin crew from my flight. We had a good chuckle. I noticed what appeared to be one of the pilots handing out what I presumed to be per diem. Anyway, the hotel was as described above, slightly above average.

Sure he wasn't handing out room keys? I've seen one pilot check in and turn around and hand room keys to the other pilots. We never did it as each guy did his own check in but in one hotel we could get a 50 BP advance on our bill so they would just hand you over 50 BP. at chk in. Our per diem was just added to your pay at the end of the month based on time away from base hours. I rarely stayed with in the per diem rate.

CosmicCruiser

Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:33 am

n92r03 wrote:

Sure he wasn't handing out room keys? I've seen one pilot check in and turn around and hand room keys to the other pilots. We never did it as each guy did his own check in but in one hotel we could get a 50 BP advance on our bill so they would just hand you over 50 BP. at chk in. Our per diem was just added to your pay at the end of the month based on time away from base hours. I rarely stayed with in the per diem rate.

mmo

Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:01 pm

When I worked for a certain national carrier in SIN, their per diem policy was paid by regions, there was China/Asia, North America, Europe, Africa and India. India was about 80 USD, while Europe was about 4 times that. Then there was this convoluted method of calculating the first and last day amounts based on crew meals and arrival or departure times. The FOs generally had it down to the cent on what the amount would be.

Also, the cockpit crew and cabin crew rarely stayed in the same hotel, there were exceptions such as LAX, FRA and SFO. The cockpit crew hotels were much better than the cabin crew.
If we weren't all crazy we'd all go insane!

Longhornmaniac

Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:09 pm

CosmicCruiser wrote:
n92r03 wrote:

I've definitely known international carriers to give out per diem in the local currency at hotel check in. It's not how it's done here in the US as best I know, but I've seen it at some carriers like BA.
Cheers,
Cameron

Starlionblue

Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:55 am

mmo wrote:
When I worked for a certain national carrier in SIN, their per diem policy was paid by regions, there was China/Asia, North America, Europe, Africa and India. India was about 80 USD, while Europe was about 4 times that. Then there was this convoluted method of calculating the first and last day amounts based on crew meals and arrival or departure times. The FOs generally had it down to the cent on what the amount would be.

Also, the cockpit crew and cabin crew rarely stayed in the same hotel, there were exceptions such as LAX, FRA and SFO. The cockpit crew hotels were much better than the cabin crew.

In our case, it is the cabin crew who know the allowance exactly. :)

VSMUT

Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:38 am

mmo wrote:

Whats the fun in that?