AlnessW
Topic Author
Posts: 662
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:34 pm

About a decade ago, I distinctly remember flying DL across country and that the boarding announcements for every flight were automated, or nearly-all automated. That is:

*chimes* "Welcome, Delta Flight...888...at Gate...D5...with service to...Salt Lake City" etc.
*chimes* "Please note the Zone Number on your boarding pass" etc.
*chimes* "We now welcome First Class, status-whatchamajiggers, lorem-ipsums, and the so-and-sos to board through our Breezeway Lane" etc.

I can imagine how this can be favorable over manual announcements - fewer long speeches, less for agents to keep track of, and less, uh, murmuring. Instead, just press the requisite button (which I would hope updates the monitors as well) and go about your job duties.

There was also a really catchy chime/jingle that they would play at the start of each announcement - I'd love to find a recording of it, but it's hard to describe a specific sound as such using a keyboard...... ??

Now, my questions:
a) Who else remembers these automated announcements?
b) Were they phased out completely? If so, when?
c) What are some other pros and cons to each?

The other thing I've seen before (not necessarily with DL) are gate agents using the PA system in a "playback" mode - that is, record your entire announcement, and then hit the playback button which broadcasts over the loudspeakers. Do most gates have this feature?

What other methods have you seen out there? How do you like to have your boarding announcements done - what's YOUR pleasure?
 
nws2002
Posts: 831
Joined: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:04 pm

Re: Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Tue Jun 04, 2019 9:01 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRmEMPhmY0I

This video has some automated announcements. Lots of background noise though.
 
AlnessW
Topic Author
Posts: 662
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:01 pm

nws2002 wrote:
This video has some automated announcements. Lots of background noise though.

Yeah, that's the right idea! Too hard to hear though, and it's missing a few things.
 
DFW17L
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:53 am

Re: Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:07 pm

Hopefully, the automated boarding works better than this...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZZ3L2XEKbA

Gotta love those classic AS commercials.
 
AlnessW
Topic Author
Posts: 662
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:11 pm

Appreciate all the commentary (that ad IS pretty funny!) but would be equally appreciative of responses to my inquires/observations above...
 
StrandedAtMKG
Posts: 272
Joined: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:51 pm

Re: Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Wed Jun 05, 2019 3:37 pm

The obvious disadvantage is that we're all trained to ignore automated announcements and therefore more likely to miss relevant announcements. Once you've heard "The curb is for immediate loading and unloading..." a hundred times you stop listening to automated announcements.
 
DFW17L
Posts: 130
Joined: Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:53 am

Re: Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:05 pm

StrandedAtMKG wrote:
The obvious disadvantage is that we're all trained to ignore automated announcements and therefore more likely to miss relevant announcements. Once you've heard "The curb is for immediate loading and unloading..." a hundred times you stop listening to automated announcements.


My favorite automated message to ignore, "...Don't accept items from people not well-known to you..."
 
BravoOne
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Wed Jun 05, 2019 5:43 pm

AlnessW wrote:
Appreciate all the commentary (that ad IS pretty funny!) but would be equally appreciative of responses to my inquires/observations above...


Probably the wrong forum. Might do better over on the civil side?
 
AlnessW
Topic Author
Posts: 662
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Wed Jun 05, 2019 6:09 pm

BravoOne wrote:
Probably the wrong forum. Might do better over on the civil side?

Maybe! This doesn't seem to be going anywhere, but maybe people would take my question seriously on the main forum? Figured this was pretty technical/operations-specific, hence my posting here...
 
BravoOne
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:29 pm

AlnessW wrote:
BravoOne wrote:
Probably the wrong forum. Might do better over on the civil side?

Maybe! This doesn't seem to be going anywhere, but maybe people would take my question seriously on the main forum? Figured this was pretty technical/operations-specific, hence my posting here...



Maybe you can't figure this out from where you're sitting but either no one cares about this subject or finds it completely off the grid.
 
AlnessW
Topic Author
Posts: 662
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:28 am

BravoOne wrote:
Maybe you can't figure this out from where you're sitting but either no one cares about this subject or finds it completely off the grid.

...says the guy who suggested earlier that this topic be moved to a different forum where it might gain more interest.

If a thread about window styles can gain 50+ replies and another about fear of lavatories can pick up 20 - hey, anything is possible...
 
User avatar
DocLightning
Posts: 21399
Joined: Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:51 am

Re: Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:51 am

AlnessW wrote:
]"We now welcome First Class, status-whatchamajiggers, lorem-ipsums, and the so-and-sos to board through our Breezeway Lane"


:lol: Thank you for this.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:46 am

They really need to bring the automated announcements back. You can barely understand some of the gate agents. It gave a far professional touch to Delta flights.

You can hear the announcements much more clearly in this video.

https://youtu.be/QyAKwiBLO7Y
 
Max Q
Posts: 7413
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Fri Jun 07, 2019 7:19 am

While on the subject, these endless, mindless PA announcements, in the gate area and the terminal are a significant part of what makes American airports so obnoxious and stressful


These endless, pointless and entirely unnecessary cacophony of noises contribute to the infinite sources of travel misery for travelers in the US



Airports overseas and their passenger
terminals seem an oasis of calm in comparison
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.
 
tax1k
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:02 am

Re: Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:32 pm

Don’t know about delta specifically, but it might depend on the airport. In Canada it’s pretty universal to have “For the information of travelers on AIRLINE flight NUMBER to DESTINATION.... followed by admonitions about carryons and zone numbers.” We are all immune to the Red Zone/White Zone PA voices at this point.
 
tax1k
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:02 am

Re: Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:34 pm

And while we are on the topic of random rants about PA announcements this new trend of arrival gate agents grabbing the plane PA mike and doing improv about what baggage claim you need to find and the weather and what their kid did in school this week and how many pets they have has got to end.
 
AlnessW
Topic Author
Posts: 662
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:52 pm

Good to see some discussion going here, folks - keep 'em coming!

DocLightning wrote:
:lol: Thank you for this.

Hey, you are most welcome DocL. Was hoping someone would catch that! ;)

TTailedTiger wrote:
They really need to bring the automated announcements back. You can barely understand some of the gate agents. It gave a far professional touch to Delta flights.

Great video, thanks so much for sharing that - EXACTLY what I was looking for. That's definitely the voice I was thinking of, along with the announcement chimes/jingle I mentioned in my OP. (I don't know why, but I like that one better than most - kind of musical but still with a strong sense of "Your attention please!")

And yes, I couldn't agree more - I really like the professional/modern-day touch it added to DL flights as opposed to where you can hardly comprehend what gate agents are saying. Many talk too fast and don't annunciate, etc. Where did you find that video? I noticed it's dated in 2008, but that might have been around when they got rid of said announcements...anyone able to clarify?

Max Q wrote:
While on the subject, these endless, mindless PA announcements, in the gate area and the terminal are a significant part of what makes American airports so obnoxious and stressful

That's a great point, MaxQ - indeed, it seems like said "cacophony" of announcements (often redundant, and especially in crowded gate areas without enough seats, etc.) is somewhat unique to the US and Canada. I remember my flight connection at LHR once - given its size, I found Terminal 5 to be a remarkably quiet environment even during peak travel times. I then noticed this is actually done on purpose, after spotting placards that read things to the effect of "Please pay attention to departure monitors and check back frequently - in our effort to reduce noise in Terminal 5, only final boarding calls will be made for all flights." A lovely idea!

tax1k wrote:
We are all immune to the Red Zone/White Zone PA voices at this point.

The announcements I refer to in my OP as well as what TTailed linked to in that video were definitely unique to DL as I recall every US airport that I flew through on DL used to have them. But to address your point - how do we ensure that important announcements (at the gate or elsewhere) aren't missed?

To your other inquiry - I'm not quite sure what you mean about improv shows, but I've seen both crews and FAs offer announcements shortly after landing regarding arrival gates, baggage claim info, and connecting flight's gate info.
 
tax1k
Posts: 16
Joined: Thu Aug 25, 2016 5:02 am

Re: Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Fri Jun 07, 2019 6:56 pm

I’m talking about when you arrive at the gate and the gate agent opens the door and instead of letting people who have been sitting in airplane seats for 3 hours walk of the plane they say “welcome to wherever, we hope you enjoy your stay here, the weather (unchanged since last announced by the pilot) is .........,and the baggage claim number is ..........., and on and on).
 
AlnessW
Topic Author
Posts: 662
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:23 pm

Re: Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Mon Jun 10, 2019 5:37 pm

tax1k wrote:
I’m talking about when you arrive at the gate and the gate agent opens the door and instead of letting people who have been sitting in airplane seats for 3 hours walk of the plane they say “welcome to wherever, we hope you enjoy your stay here, the weather (unchanged since last announced by the pilot) is .........,and the baggage claim number is ..........., and on and on).

Oh, interesting - I guess I'm more used to this being done by FAs and not gate agents.
 
BravoOne
Posts: 3304
Joined: Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:27 pm

Re: Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Mon Jun 10, 2019 7:25 pm

AlnessW wrote:
BravoOne wrote:
Maybe you can't figure this out from where you're sitting but either no one cares about this subject or finds it completely off the grid.

...says the guy who suggested earlier that this topic be moved to a different forum where it might gain more interest.

If a thread about window styles can gain 50+ replies and another about fear of lavatories can pick up 20 - hey, anything is possible...


Well you got that one right for sure!
 
TTailedTiger
Posts: 1039
Joined: Sun Aug 26, 2018 5:19 am

Re: Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Tue Jun 11, 2019 2:01 am

I also miss the Delta gate monitor displays when the gate was inactive. It would scroll through a long list of airport codes and periodically stop on Delta hub cities and then show photos and unique features of those cities. Taking away that and gate announcements shows just how far Delta has regressed in the technology department.
 
User avatar
exFWAOONW
Posts: 620
Joined: Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:32 pm

Re: Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:14 am

The playback mode the OP refers to is something needed at locations with low ceilings or poor acoustics. With low ceilings the speakers are close enough to the agent with the microphone that feedback is a real problem. Playback eliminates the feedback. It also helps some non public speakers if they can’t hear themselves as they try to speak.
Is just me, or is flying not as much fun anymore?
 
steveinbc
Posts: 246
Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2015 4:30 pm

Re: Delta - Automated Flight Boarding Announcements

Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:35 am

Well. These announcements were done by humans and they weren’t too successful. Stick to the automated!! https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=44zQRs-taOo
A319 320 321 330 340 380 B707 727 737 747 757 767 777 787 BAe1-11 Trident 1, 2, 3B Viscount Lancaster VC10 HS748, ATP DHC-1, 3 Dash-8 Dash-400 Shorts 330 360 Embraer Banderiante Brasileria 175 190 BAe146 Saab 200 DC-3 -8 -9 -10 MD-11 ATR42-72

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ITSTours and 26 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos