Moderators: richierich, ua900, PanAm_DC10, hOMSaR

tax1k
Topic Author

ORD Runways

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:25 am

I’ve been on four flights this week into/out of ORD landing/taking off from west to east. I think this has happened on less than one percent of my flights through ORD. Is there something different going on?

e38

Re: ORD Runways

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:36 am

tax1K, what were the winds?

Looking back on my flight operations in and out of ORD during the past twenty years or so, not particularly unusual.

e38

AirKevin

Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:52 pm

For the amount of times I drive past ORD, I see traffic going both ways fairly common, so just depends on which way the winds are going.
Captain Kevin

flyboy80

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:01 pm

I don't know if it's because of construction or something, but I've landed on 10C ( I think) maybe it was the opposite direction, I really don't know, and then we taxi all the way back up, and cross 10L, while aircraft are departing 10L via an intersection a ways down...It's been excruciating slow taxing for at least 17-20 mins. Makes one realize how much more efficient ATL is.

tax1k
Topic Author

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:15 pm

I checked the NOAA site and yesterday afternoon/evening they were from E/NE. The other flights were Monday morning.

tax1k
Topic Author

Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:20 pm

I guess I’m just lucky. I’ve flown YYC to ORD hundreds of times and occasionally missed my connection as we flew out over the lake and hooked back. It’s literally a 30+ minute difference.

trnswrld

Fri Jun 07, 2019 10:42 pm

I work in Chicago ATC and if I had to guess I would say west flow about 60% of the time. Today for example we are east flow as the current winds are 050 at 14. It has nothing to do with construction or anything like that, just the winds or sometimes weather. If the winds are real bad and we are forced to a pair of 22's for example, things get slowed BIG TIME at ORD with heavy delays. Thankfully that's very rare. I believe west flow would be a little more efficient as far as taxi times and all that go since they use 22L as one of the departure runways.

FlyHossD

Fri Jun 14, 2019 2:53 pm

trnswrld wrote:
I work in Chicago ATC and if I had to guess I would say west flow about 60% of the time. Today for example we are east flow as the current winds are 050 at 14. It has nothing to do with construction or anything like that, just the winds or sometimes weather. If the winds are real bad and we are forced to a pair of 22's for example, things get slowed BIG TIME at ORD with heavy delays. Thankfully that's very rare. I believe west flow would be a little more efficient as far as taxi times and all that go since they use 22L as one of the departure runways.

As I understand it, ORD is reconfiguring to eventually only east-west runways - is that correct? If so, I'm wondering how that's going to work in the winter when winds during snow storms seem to be from the north at 15-20 (or more) knots(as I recall, it's been a while). Slick runways with a solid crosswind is not a good thing, eh?
My statements do not represent my former employer or my current employer and are my opinions only.

tjwgrr

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:14 pm

FlyHossD wrote:
As I understand it, ORD is reconfiguring to eventually only east-west runways - is that correct? If so, I'm wondering how that's going to work in the winter when winds during snow storms seem to be from the north at 15-20 (or more) knots(as I recall, it's been a while). Slick runways with a solid crosswind is not a good thing, eh?

4L / 22R and 4R / 22L will remain.

https://www.flychicago.com/community/OR ... fault.aspx
Direct KNOBS, maintain 2700' until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 26 left approach.

vikkyvik

Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:17 pm

FlyHossD wrote:

Unless it's changed, I think the plan is 6 parallel east-west runways, and two crosswind runways (northeast-southwest I think).
I'm watching Jeopardy. The category is worst Madonna songs. "This one from 1987 is terrible".

phllax

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:14 am

trnswrld wrote:

Are 32L T10 departures still thing or not? That was the beautiful thing about United departures.

Woodreau

Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:29 am

32L doesn’t exist anymore. What used to be runway 32L/14R is now taxiway T.

I remember when ORD had a runway 18/36 and planes were taking off and landing in all cardinal directions that would be wierd anywhere else but just normal everyday ORD.
Bonus animus sit, ab experientia. Quod salvatum fuerit de malis usu venit judicium.

Cubsrule

Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:35 am

trnswrld wrote:

It seems to me that west flow is used much more commonly in calm weather than was the case 10 or 15 years ago. Part of that is that MDW works a lot better in west flow now that 22L has a (great as a passenger) RNAV approach.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more

OneX123

Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:52 pm

Cubsrule wrote:
trnswrld wrote:

It seems to me that west flow is used much more commonly in calm weather than was the case 10 or 15 years ago. Part of that is that MDW works a lot better in west flow now that 22L has a (great as a passenger) RNAV approach.

Apologies for the stupid question...

When you say 'West Flow', does that mean airplanes are landing over Lake Michigan (flying westbound when landing)? I know it's simple but I can never seem to wrap my head around the 'flows' lol

Cubsrule

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:21 pm

OneX123 wrote:
Cubsrule wrote:
trnswrld wrote:

Apologies for the stupid question...

When you say 'West Flow', does that mean airplanes are landing over Lake Michigan (flying westbound when landing)? I know it's simple but I can never seem to wrap my head around the 'flows' lol

Not a stupid question, and you are exactly right.
I can't decide whether I miss the tulip or the bowling shoe more