N415XJ
Topic Author

Lower cabin altitude A350/787- does the crew notice?

Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:45 pm

The better cabin environment of the A350 and 787 (and A380, I think) including a lower cabin altitude, more light from larger windows, less noise, and in some cases higher humidity are often spoken about in terms of increased passenger comfort. After taking flights on the A380 and 787 I don't think I noticed much of a difference- it's hard to judge as a passenger based on one or two flights as we all have trips where we feel particularly more or less awake/refreshed for a variety of reasons.

However, I haven't heard anything about how pilots and cabin crew are affected by the better environment. So, I'm hoping for some feedback from the 787/A350 crew who read this forum. Compared to your career of flying older types with more traditional cabin environment technologies, after spending many hours back to back on these newer aircraft working on them day in and day out, did you notice any positive effects? Less fatigue, better response to jet lag, etc? Have your colleagues had the same impressions? I'm really curious to know if the marketing speak is just that, or if one can actually feel physically better flying these newer planes.

Standard disclaimer: Sorry if this has been asked before- I know seeing the same questions can be irritating, but google and an a.net search didn't reveal anything.

Starlionblue

Re: Lower cabin altitude A350/787- does the crew notice?

Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:05 am

Personally, I notice. A 12-hour flight in the A350 leaves me noticeably less dehydrated and "spent" than a 9-hour flight in the A330.

The bunk in the A350 might help with this as well. :D
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

zeke

Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:16 pm

The A330 cabin altitude was around 6000 ft anyway on medium haul flights, it’s schedule for a higher cabin altitude on shorter sectors.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

thepinkmachine

Thu Jun 13, 2019 5:10 pm

I have recently moved from A330 to 787 and didn’t notice much difference. I feel equally knackered at the end of a longhaul flight... :indifferent:

trex8

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:50 pm

This is only answerable with a blinded controlled study with many flights and many many passengers where no one on board , or at least in the cabin, know what the altitude was set at and thats not likely to ever happen. Till then its all anecdotal.

trex8

Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:53 pm

This is only answerable with a blinded controlled study with many flights and many many passengers/crew where no one on board , or at least in the cabin, know what the altitude was set at and thats not likely to ever happen. Till then its all anecdotal.

Zeke2517

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:13 pm

trex8 wrote:
This is only answerable with a blinded controlled study with many flights and many many passengers/crew where no one on board , or at least in the cabin, know what the altitude was set at and thats not likely to ever happen. Till then its all anecdotal.

If it isn’t noticeable without a scientific study why would they bother?

trex8

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:39 pm

there are lots of things done which sound reasonable and may even actually pan out, and then there's marketing

Planetalk

Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:47 pm

Zeke2517 wrote:
trex8 wrote:

If it isn’t noticeable without a scientific study why would they bother?

Marketing. It may be that it does make an appreciable difference but due to the Placebo effect there's no way of confirming it without such a study is what they are saying.

The placebo effect is much stronger than most people realise. Placebo can even work when people know something is placebo, but anyway I digress. A lot of anecdotal reports on this are highly likely to be placebo since the cabin altitude often wasn't any higher on the last generation. Just because the max cabin altitude was higher doesn't mean it routinely got there.

Of course everyone believes that they are immune to placebo, but no-one is.

7BOEING7

Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:00 pm

Planetalk wrote:
A lot of anecdotal reports on this are highly likely to be placebo since the cabin altitude often wasn't any higher on the last generation. Just because the max cabin altitude was higher doesn't mean it routinely got there..

True, however since the auto delta P is higher for the 747,787,350 and 380 for any given flight altitude the cabin altitude would be lower than the cabin altitude of other airplanes at the same flight altitude. For example during normal cruise the auto pressurization at any given altitude on a 777 is maintained between 8.4 to 8.7 psi while on the 787 it's maintained between 9.0 to 9.4 psi providing a lower cabin altitude.

Dogbreath

Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:52 pm

I've spent 33 years flying the 737, 747 and now 787 and can say that I notice a considerable difference.

DOG
Truth, Honour, Loyalty

zeke

Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:58 pm

Dogbreath wrote:
I've spent 33 years flying the 737, 747 and now 787 and can say that I notice a considerable difference.

DOG

Surprised you have any hearing left and you can still hold a medical. The biggest difference for you would be the cockpit noise levels reduction, that would reduce fatigue.
Human rights lawyers are "ambulance chasers of the very worst kind.'" - Sky News

triple3driver

Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:32 pm

A lot of my colleagues say that there is a noticeable difference between the A350 and other aircraft such as the 747 or 777, and that the longer flights are far more bearable. I guess I'll find out for myself in a few years, though as a passenger, I didn't really notice that much of a difference, it seems a little over hyped to me
If you can walk away from it intact, it was a good landing!

slcguy

Fri Jun 28, 2019 2:12 pm

Probably not in real time. They won't takeoff and get up to cruise altitude and say "this is so much nicer" except maybe for noise levels, cabin altitude and humidity won't be noticed. Where they would probably notice is after a long day of multiple legs or after a long haul flight and get to their final destination they will probably feel better and a little less fatigued. Notice I said a little less, most crews will probably still be hammered after a long day.