a350aviator
Topic Author

Masters in Aviation Management---confusion which college?

Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:11 am

Hi everyone,

I have a choice to make regarding pursuing masters in aviation management.

The choices are

1)ERAU-Florida
*MBA in Aviation Management
*requires GMAT & TOEFL
2)ERAU-SIN
*MBA in Aviation Management
*requires TOEFL
3)Purdue
*MS Aeronautical & Aviation Management
*mostly comes under STEM
* may require GRE & TOEFL
4)ASU
*MS Tech in Aviation Management
*comes under STEM
* requires GRE & TOEFL
5)Griffith- BNE
*1 year course
*Masters in Aviation Management
requires TOEFL

So now the questions I have faced
2 of the 5 colleges require GRE
Only 1 requires GMAT
2 require just TOEFL

1) I have given my GRE back in Dec 2018 with a score of 289 should I attempt it again just for Purdue & ASU?
2) Will it be wise to just focus on GMAT score well & apply to ERAU & then convince Purdue & ASU to consider my GMAT marks?
3) would work experience matter? I don't have any experience except for a month long internship in an airline in maintenance sector.
4) Is Spring a good choice for admission?
5) Which of the above is good for Masters in Aviation Management?

FlightLevel360

Re: Masters in Aviation Management---confusion which college?

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:04 am

I'd recommend either ERAU or Purdue.
To me, it will always be:
- Bombardier CSeries
- Airbus A321neoLR and A321neoXLR
- EMBRACER ERJ-170, ERJ-175, ERJ-190, and ERJ-195
- MITSUBUSHI MRJ

Anti narrowbody-long range-twinjet gang. Long live the A380 and 747!

N766UA

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:32 am

I’d recommend getting a degree in something else.

Overthecascades

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:42 am

I’d Recommend an MBA and then in summer get an internship with an airline or airport management company. Look at your target companies campus recruiting and see which mba school they go to each year.

hic787

Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:55 am

N766UA wrote:

I'm an undergraduate in Aviation Management currently - can I ask why?

VS11

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:07 am

N766UA wrote:

Lol, I was gonna say the same. Too niche, and if one is good at number crunching - a degree in finance would be way more advantageous, or data science for that matter. Aviation is just one area of application of management, and frankly not worth the cost to be confined to such a narrow area.

LatinAirliner

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:20 am

Hi,

ERAU also accepts the GRE. But your score is not that high.

I am currently an MBA Full time student in ERAU (DAB) if you have any question. (I got accepted in ERAU with a GRE)

Can I ask about your background? Definitely I recommend having work experience after your undergrad before coming to a master class or else you are not going to take advantage of your master.

I worked for five years in an airline, as a network planning analyst, senior analyst and strategy project leader before coming to my MBA and I can say was the best choice. I am currently doing my MBA summer internship in another airline in a different country from mine and my experience have helped me a lot.

Send me a PM if you need any other advice.

Good luck, and go for ERAU without doubt.
LatinAirliner - Nickpo

B52overSMF

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:28 am

As an ASU aviation (undergrad) alumni, I'm kind of partial to their program and speak highly of it. I've been looking at heading back for my masters through them or Purdue. Chances are, so long as you've at least taken the GRE, ASU will accept you. They also (at least used to) waive the GRE requirement if you've graduated with honors as an undergrad (if that applies). If you're looking at attending in person, the campus is not part of the main campus but instead at the Polytechnic campus at KIWA. It's very nice and (mostly) new with a sort of community college feel in that the class sizes are small and the professors available.

The truth is though that in industry, they're really indistinguishable degrees.

soflaflyer

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:32 am

I graduated with an MBA in Aviation Management from ERAU and currently working in an unrelated industry as a VP of HR. The MBA is what is important and flexible enough to allow you to work in aviation or other industries if you choose. I disagree with posters above, Aviation Management is only a specialization for your MBA and will not limit you to the aviation industry. However, if you are interested in the aviation industry, it can give you a heads up over other MBAs. ERAU in particular is very highly regarded in the industry. Your degree is only one piece of credentials when considered in a company.
I recommend some work experience prior to initiating the MBA so that the material has some relevancy for you vs. being 100% theory. Good luck!
Last edited by soflaflyer on Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

TWA772LR

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:36 am

Look in to Metropolitan State University of Denver. Theyre supposed to have a good program. Probably a lot more affordable than ER or Purdue.
When wasn't America great?

The thoughts and opinions shared under this username are mine and are not influenced by my employer.

SyracuseAvGeek

Tue Jun 18, 2019 4:56 am

I’m getting my degree from Western Michigan which is also a really awesome school
"I haven't been everywhere yet, but it's on my list."

ITSTours

Tue Jun 18, 2019 5:03 am

If I were an undergraduate then I would have definitely applied for Aviation Management Masters.

But I'm stuck with a PhD program :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

BTV290

Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:57 am

I'm in the Purdue programme right now, and am enjoying it immensely! Based solely on my experience, would absolutely recommend.

a350aviator
Topic Author

Sat Jun 22, 2019 4:44 am

LatinAirliner wrote:
Hi,

I am currently an MBA Full time student in ERAU (DAB) if you have any question. (I got accepted in ERAU with a GRE)

Can I ask about your background? Definitely I recommend having work experience after your undergrad before coming to a master class or else you are not going to take advantage of your master.

I worked for five years in an airline, as a network planning analyst, senior analyst and strategy project leader before coming to my MBA and I can say was the best choice. I am currently doing my MBA summer internship in another airline in a different country from mine and my experience have helped me a lot.

Hi... LatinAirliner, I have done my undergraduate in Mechanical Engineering.
I have no work experience, but my interest is in Network Planning ... Which I guess falls under Operations.
May I know how you applied for an airline?
Also what GRE score is sufficient to apply for ERAU

LatinAirliner

Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:26 am

a350aviator wrote:
LatinAirliner wrote:
Hi,

Hi... LatinAirliner, I have done my undergraduate in Mechanical Engineering.
I have no work experience, but my interest is in Network Planning ... Which I guess falls under Operations.
May I know how you applied for an airline?
Also what GRE score is sufficient to apply for ERAU

Hi, Hope you are doing well.

You undergrad looks really good and it works for any position in any management department. Network Planning doesn't falls under operations, is more of a strategy department, usually falls under corporate planning vice-presidents or sometimes it has it's own VP.
I started as an intern in the network planning department of an airline in South America which in that moment had a very small team and not a huge operation, while being an intern, I started looking for a full time analyst position in a similar department, the airline which I was at the moment didn't had a vacant position as an analyst, but fortunately I got contacted by another airline in South America which had a vacant position in the network planning team, as an analyst. I did the whole process, which involved competing with more than 20 other candidates for the job. At the end, I got the job.
What I recommend you is not closing only for a position your country, start looking for anaylists/intern positions in other countries, several airlines help you getting transfer to another country. But don't start a master/mba, is a waste of money/time, at the end, after a master, without experience, you will end looking also for an analyst postion, so there is not a need for doing an MBA if you don't have experience and want a job as an analyst.
For ERAU you don't need to have a high score in the GRE if you have experience, they value a lot your experience, I don't remember my score, but if I'm not wrong was 301, I think if you have work experience, with your actual score in the GRE, you'll get in.

Let me know if you have any other question.
LatinAirliner - Nickpo

strfyr51

Mon Aug 12, 2019 10:15 pm

Overthecascades wrote:
I’d Recommend an MBA and then in summer get an internship with an airline or airport management company. Look at your target companies campus recruiting and see which mba school they go to each year.

I know that United hires interns every year and works them like Hebrew slaves. and Ive seen a few of them after they finish in some pretty goof positions, Where they again work them like slaves ( But pay them as well)