flyboy80
Topic Author

A320 spaceflex differences

Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:44 pm

I recently flew on an AS (VX) A320. The aft lavatory and galley is the spaceflex design, but unlike the design Ive seen on DL, with two side by side lavs, the middle lavatory is not straight in, it’s perpendicular to the aisle and recessed about one foot versus the outboard lav next to it- and significantly larger than the two side by side lavs on the reconfigured DL 319/320. It seems like a much better option, despite spaceflex in any form is not desirable as the former full size galley. Im curious what was the original design for spaceflex? Another thing I noticed was forward of 2R there was a large galley area, something the DL spaceflex doesn’t have, although in recent years they have increased that area forward of 2L for additional flight attendant space. Im wondering if the aft portion of the galley on the former VX is less-wide, therefore allocating more space for the lavs. It would seem DLs design allocates for a full row (prior to modification for FA space) and the VX and AS allows for half a row.

CRJ900

Re: A320 spaceflex differences

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:21 pm

IIRC, the VX aft galley/lav config is the original SpaceFlex, now known as v1. Then it was redesigned into v2 - which most airlines are using now, as the v2 has almost twice as much galley capacity. There are several photos/drawings on the web if you type in SpaceFlex v1 and v2.
Come, fly the prevailing winds with me

catiii

Fri Jun 21, 2019 10:35 pm

CRJ900 wrote:
IIRC, the VX aft galley/lav config is the original SpaceFlex, now known as v1. Then it was redesigned into v2 - which most airlines are using now, as the v2 has almost twice as much galley capacity. There are several photos/drawings on the web if you type in SpaceFlex v1 and v2.

That's my understanding as well. VX was in early with the v1.

phllax

Fri Jun 28, 2019 5:16 am

Another question. I was on a VX/AS spaceflex bird which had ADA capable lavs, with the wall between the 2 being able to open. The B6 Phase 1 bird I was on last week didn't.

AirKevin

Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:07 am

phllax wrote:
Another question. I was on a VX/AS spaceflex bird which had ADA capable lavs, with the wall between the 2 being able to open. The B6 Phase 1 bird I was on last week didn't.

So....what exactly is the question.
Captain Kevin

phllax

Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:26 pm

AirKevin wrote:
phllax wrote:

Isn't there supposed to be an ADA lav?

lightsaber

Thu Jul 04, 2019 11:42 pm

phllax wrote:
AirKevin wrote:
phllax wrote:

Isn't there supposed to be an ADA lav?

What is the requirement? I believe the ADA lav is met by the front lav? Note, I ask as lav design is not my forte.

Lightsaber
IM messages to mods on warnings and bans will be ignored and nasty ones will result in a ban.

ghifty

Fri Jul 05, 2019 8:06 am

I don't know anything about other airlines' SpaceFlex lavatories. But, the lavs on Frontier A320s do have the ADA lav and the slight offset you mention. The wall does open, and is very well hidden. You wouldn't know it collapses, without being told or shown. Further, the two rear jumpseats on F9 SpaceFlex A320s fold out from the middle lavs door.

There is another variant, but I do not know how that works... or location... again, only familiar with the ones F9 has.

Come to think of it. I recall the first version being mentioned. I believe (confirm for yourself) that V1 SpaceFlex has a larger mid lav, no ADA, and some cabin crew service module storage for the ATLAS containers. V2 does away with the ATLAS container storage, opening up space for the ADA lav. I think the loose implication is that the front galley is ADA accesible... but, again, I have not seen or personally been on this variant of SpaceFlex. Only the ones with the collapsible ADA lav.

I can consult the materials I have, but am currently away from them.
Fly Delta (Wid)Jets

Comments made here reflect only my personal opinions.