DocLightning
Topic Author

Hot towel service logistics

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:05 pm

In premium cabins on many flights, a hot towel service is offered before the meal.

1) How are the towels delivered to the aircraft? Are they already moistened?
2) How are the towels heated prior to the service?
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

nws2002

Re: Hot towel service logistics

Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:34 pm

They come all rolled up on a tray and you pour hot water from the aircraft over them.

BravoOne

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:10 pm

This is a technical question?? As nws2002 stated above is how it works. Sometimes they add a fragrance as well.

GalaxyFlyer

Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:28 pm

We even had the pre-moistened trays of face towels in bizjets.

GF

fr8mech

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:13 am

BravoOne wrote:
This is a technical question?? As nws2002 stated above is how it works. Sometimes they add a fragrance as well.

No, it's not...it's an operations question.

Technical/Operations
The more advanced forum for those of you who want to dig deeper into technical issues as well as airline management and operations. A forum for both professionals and knowledgeable amateurs
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Okie

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:11 am

DocLightning wrote:
In premium cabins on many flights, a hot towel service is offered before the meal.1) How are the towels delivered to the aircraft? Are they already moistened? 2) How are the towels heated prior to the service?

They pour the warm water from the biological incubator on them :sarcastic:

Okie

Tartarus

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:20 am

BravoOne wrote:

Some of our crew have a habit of storing the sachets of lemon fragrance in the same cubby hole as the lids for the crew coffee cups. Lemon fragranced coffee isn't my thing.

aeropix

Wed Jul 03, 2019 12:28 pm

Tartarus wrote:
BravoOne wrote:

Some of our crew have a habit of storing the sachets of lemon fragrance in the same cubby hole as the lids for the crew coffee cups. Lemon fragranced coffee isn't my thing.

They also use the crew coffee cups to mix the lemon sachets, and for the diluted warm water on the towels. Once I had a really lemony coffee from the leftover cup that a different crew member picked up to fill with my coffee, whoopsie! I had some nice and apologetic meal service for the rest of the crossing!

flipdewaf

Wed Jul 03, 2019 1:34 pm

One recent trip to Australia from the UK via DOH I was offered 7 hot towels between DOH and MEL and seeing as it was a full flight in premium cabins (56 seats) that nearly 400 itty-bitty towels they had to bring along!

Fred

Redbellyguppy

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:07 pm

We had those when I was at the regionals. Kind of an art to doing it. Your goal was not too hot, not too cold, not too dry, not too juicy.

They cane in trays and ours were made in Pakistan. Single use then thrown away. Hugely wasteful, it seemed.

BravoOne

Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:20 pm

Redbellyguppy wrote:
We had those when I was at the regionals. Kind of an art to doing it. Your goal was not too hot, not too cold, not too dry, not too juicy.

They cane in trays and ours were made in Pakistan. Single use then thrown away. Hugely wasteful, it seemed.

Yes but they good wipe down cloths for the flight deck.

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:03 am

BravoOne wrote:
Redbellyguppy wrote:

We had a groomer that did the cleaning between trips or hired a service out on the road.

GF

September11

Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:37 am

nws2002 wrote:
They come all rolled up on a tray and you pour hot water from the aircraft over them.

And flight attendants would use "spring tong" to deliver those to passengers (as well as to collect those)
Airliners.net of the Future

BravoOne

Thu Jul 04, 2019 1:32 pm

GalaxyFlyer wrote:
BravoOne wrote:
Redbellyguppy wrote:

We had a groomer that did the cleaning between trips or hired a service out on the road.

GF

I'm talking airliners not corporate and I'm sure EAL did not have any groomers:)

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:40 pm

No, we almost had the antithesis of groomers-the IAM ramparts.

zanl188

Thu Jul 04, 2019 4:55 pm

Chemtrails system contains a heat exchanger to heat towel water. Heat exchanger also adds a perfume and knock out drops, makes everyone go nighty nite smelling good.
Legal considerations provided by: Dewey, Cheatum, and Howe

DocLightning
Topic Author

Thu Jul 04, 2019 5:51 pm

zanl188 wrote:
Chemtrails system contains a heat exchanger to heat towel water. Heat exchanger also adds a perfume and knock out drops, makes everyone go nighty nite smelling good.

Is it bad that I went looking for a laugh react? Maybe the chemtrails got to me.
-Doc Lightning-

"The sky calls to us. If we do not destroy ourselves, we will one day venture to the stars."
-Carl Sagan

aklrno

Mon Jul 08, 2019 7:06 pm

DocLightning wrote:
zanl188 wrote:

Is it bad that I went looking for a laugh react? Maybe the chemtrails got to me.

Maybe not a dumb question from a doctor. Warm wet cloth stored for a long time sounds like a breeding ground for bad things to me. Better to wet and warm them just prior to use.