RetiredNWA

Re: Captains admonishing FO's for using speed brake on descent

Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:49 pm

triple3driver wrote:
Use it when you need it, don' t use it when it' s not needed, that' s the basic principle. If my F/O uses it when its not required then I will tell him so, and if he doesn't use it when we need it, then I will tell him so. And I encourage F/Os to do the same when the Captain is PF. Sometimes captains are wrong, it happens, and things don't always go according to plan, again, it happens. But the cockpit is no place to be so unprofessional and to display your ego, there' s always a chance that you're the one in the wrong, and such attitudes can and have led to accidents.

This “principle” is not in line with the current cockpit standards and flows at Delta Air Lines. You are preaching procedure that I have never heard in the training center or in the sim bay, or, as set forth in the FOM for any aircraft. We do not “tell [him] so” in the cockpit and that’s surely not how descent planning is worked out, especially with regard to “howgozit” et cetera. Where have you read this speedbrake usage policy? How do you enact it? In a three-pilot cockpit environment, (as is on the A330 on most, if not all of the trips in the bid category) as a Delta Air Lines Captain...this does not jive with SOP.

BravoOne

Re: Captains admonishing FO's for using speed brake on descent

Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:00 pm

Buckling in for a rough ride ahead! Good post BTW