ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:35 pm

What is it like running retread tires on a commercial airplane and how well do they perform.

N809FR

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:11 pm

Guessing about as poorly as they do on commercial vehicles. They are a danger to everyone on the road.

crjflyboy

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:20 pm

GalaxyFlyer

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:09 pm

Non-issue, next question.

GF

AA737-823

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:03 pm

I'm not aware of any airline that does NOT do re-tread.
You're limited to a certain number of re-treads on one carcass, because the carcass itself ages, too.
But this is a non-issue, I'm not sure what has made you concerned about it.

Dalmd88

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:52 pm

I worked line mtc for 4 years. I don't recall ever installing a 'new' tire. I changed a ton of tires on midnights. The only 'new' ones where on newly delivered planes.

Charleytuna

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:42 am

Are tires really #3 operating expense after fuel and labor. What are hrly costs of those turbines not including fuel.

strfyr51

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:27 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
What is it like running retread tires on a commercial airplane and how well do they perform.

v ery well indeed. at least from Air Treads that I know of.

Faro

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:33 am

Charleytuna wrote:
Are tires really #3 operating expense after fuel and labor. What are hrly costs of those turbines not including fuel.

I recall a thread where MX people confirmed that tires were in any case the No 1 spare part in terms of inventory rotation...a lot of movement with all that rubber-smoke generation on landing...

Faro
The chalice not my son

fr8mech

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:45 am

Faro wrote:
I recall a thread where MX people confirmed that tires were in any case the No 1 spare part in terms of inventory rotation...a lot of movement with all that rubber-smoke generation on landing...

I looked at some data 15 or so years ago, trying to figure out if any individual tire position on the classic Jumbo was changed more often than another.

I seem to recall that we changed main tires, for wear, somewhere around 250 cycles, and nose tire around 320.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

Max Q

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:25 am

Many years ago Cathay Pacific lost a Convair 880 when a retreaded nosewheel tire came apart during the take off roll

The aircraft could not be controlled and went off the side of the runway into the water (departing RW 13 at Kai Tak)while there were no fatalities it was substantially damaged and written off

The Cockpit was saved and later rebuilt as a simulator however, and a new policy was adopted to not use retreads on nosewheel tires
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

Lpbri

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:10 pm

Actually, brakes are the number one mtx expense, so I hear. Used tires get re-capped all the time, it's perfectly safe. The tire company determines if the tire can be re-capped. It's marked on the side. The max number of re-caps is 6 I believe. You can always tell if a new wheel off the rack has new tire or not. A new tire has a smooth surface and a mfrs sticker on it. A re-cap has lots of little rubber points on it and re-cap stickers.

747classic

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:26 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Faro wrote:

I looked at some data 15 or so years ago, trying to figure out if any individual tire position on the classic Jumbo was changed more often than another.

I seem to recall that we changed main tires, for wear, somewhere around 250 cycles, and nose tire around 320.

Flying for over 25 years on the 747-200/300 series, we came to the same conclusion :
- Main gear tires were changed more often for tire wear (especially the rear body gear tires were wearing out faster) than nose gear tires.
- Most of the nose wheel tires were not changed due wear but due excessive nose wheel vibration.(unbalance)
Almost all replacement tires were retread tires.
On certain (cargo) destinations we had 2 spare wheel assy's on board (hold 4), to be changed by the flight crew (dedicated F/E, with limited G/E license).
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.

ArchGuy1
Topic Author

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:05 pm

Max Q wrote:
Many years ago Cathay Pacific lost a Convair 880 when a retreaded nosewheel tire came apart during the take off roll

The aircraft could not be controlled and went off the side of the runway into the water (departing RW 13 at Kai Tak)while there were no fatalities it was substantially damaged and written off

The Cockpit was saved and later rebuilt as a simulator however, and a new policy was adopted to not use retreads on nosewheel tires

Was it made a Cathy Pacific policy or Hong Kong Civil Aviation Authority policy not to use retreads on the nosewheel.

Max Q

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:13 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Max Q wrote:

Was it made a Cathy Pacific policy or Hong Kong Civil Aviation Authority policy not to use retreads on the nosewheel.

Good question but I’m not sure of the answer
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.

Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society

strfyr51

Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:06 am

fr8mech wrote:
Faro wrote:

On a 747? (any 747) the aft Body gear tires are the most critical as they're the first to touch down and the last to Leave the ground.

strfyr51

Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:15 am

AA737-823 wrote:
I'm not aware of any airline that does NOT do re-tread.
You're limited to a certain number of re-treads on one carcass, because the carcass itself ages, too.
But this is a non-issue, I'm not sure what has made you concerned about it.

United had certain airplanes that didn't use re-treads. where we mounted "light weight" Michellin and Bridgestone tires that were essentially throw away in the 52x20.5 size and the 49X19 size., But that was years ago. not even sure if they even build those tires anymore..

fr8mech

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:14 am

strfyr51 wrote:
On a 747? (any 747) the aft Body gear tires are the most critical as they're the first to touch down and the last to Leave the ground.

Actually, they're probably more critical because they scrub more in turns, especially if the BGS is inop. We did find that 8 & 11 were more frequently changed, but not by too much. I can't remember the numbers.

I suspect the -400 & -8 have the same issue.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere

readytotaxi

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:27 pm

Dunlop tyres make new and do re-tred and 2017 opened up in USA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EixfVQjkmfk
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.

BartSimpson

Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:58 am

strfyr51 wrote:

Which is true for almost any aircraft, except for the DC-3 and a few others...

kitplane01

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:39 am

Lpbri wrote:
Actually, brakes are the number one mtx expense, so I hear. Used tires get re-capped all the time, it's perfectly safe. The tire company determines if the tire can be re-capped. It's marked on the side. The max number of re-caps is 6 I believe. You can always tell if a new wheel off the rack has new tire or not. A new tire has a smooth surface and a mfrs sticker on it. A re-cap has lots of little rubber points on it and re-cap stickers.

I'm going to suggest that engine mtx is much higher than the cost of replacement tires, or brakes.

StereoTechque

Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:00 am

My observation on the A320 with Radial tyres: Have seen retreading not more than 5 times on a single tyre. Usually denoted by R1,R2 as such. And the Vendor carries out Shearography Inspection to make sure a tire is fit for a re-tread.
Ive heard you can do more number of Retreads on a bias but the life of a retread on a Radial is longer.
Looking California.. Feeling Minnesota.... R. I.P. Chris Cornell...

strfyr51

Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:29 am

StereoTechque wrote:
My observation on the A320 with Radial tyres: Have seen retreading not more than 5 times on a single tyre. Usually denoted by R1,R2 as such. And the Vendor carries out Shearography Inspection to make sure a tire is fit for a re-tread.
Ive heard you can do more number of Retreads on a bias but the life of a retread on a Radial is longer.

I think it depends on the condition of the core.