ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:35 pm

What is it like running retread tires on a commercial airplane and how well do they perform.
 
N809FR
Posts: 147
Joined: Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:10 am

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:11 pm

Guessing about as poorly as they do on commercial vehicles. They are a danger to everyone on the road.
 
crjflyboy
Posts: 164
Joined: Thu Jun 06, 2019 10:54 pm

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:20 pm

 
GalaxyFlyer
Posts: 3138
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2016 4:44 am

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:09 pm

Non-issue, next question.

GF
 
AA737-823
Posts: 5423
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2000 11:10 am

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:03 pm

I'm not aware of any airline that does NOT do re-tread.
You're limited to a certain number of re-treads on one carcass, because the carcass itself ages, too.
But this is a non-issue, I'm not sure what has made you concerned about it.
 
Dalmd88
Posts: 2902
Joined: Fri Jul 28, 2000 3:19 am

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Thu Jul 11, 2019 10:52 pm

I worked line mtc for 4 years. I don't recall ever installing a 'new' tire. I changed a ton of tires on midnights. The only 'new' ones where on newly delivered planes.
 
Charleytuna
Posts: 3
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:13 am

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:42 am

Are tires really #3 operating expense after fuel and labor. What are hrly costs of those turbines not including fuel.
 
strfyr51
Posts: 3764
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:27 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
What is it like running retread tires on a commercial airplane and how well do they perform.

v ery well indeed. at least from Air Treads that I know of.
 
User avatar
Faro
Posts: 1888
Joined: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:08 am

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:33 am

Charleytuna wrote:
Are tires really #3 operating expense after fuel and labor. What are hrly costs of those turbines not including fuel.


I recall a thread where MX people confirmed that tires were in any case the No 1 spare part in terms of inventory rotation...a lot of movement with all that rubber-smoke generation on landing...


Faro
The chalice not my son
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 7650
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:45 am

Faro wrote:
I recall a thread where MX people confirmed that tires were in any case the No 1 spare part in terms of inventory rotation...a lot of movement with all that rubber-smoke generation on landing...


I looked at some data 15 or so years ago, trying to figure out if any individual tire position on the classic Jumbo was changed more often than another.

I seem to recall that we changed main tires, for wear, somewhere around 250 cycles, and nose tire around 320.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
Max Q
Posts: 7486
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:25 am

Many years ago Cathay Pacific lost a Convair 880 when a retreaded nosewheel tire came apart during the take off roll



The aircraft could not be controlled and went off the side of the runway into the water (departing RW 13 at Kai Tak)while there were no fatalities it was substantially damaged and written off


The Cockpit was saved and later rebuilt as a simulator however, and a new policy was adopted to not use retreads on nosewheel tires
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society
 
Lpbri
Posts: 166
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 7:18 pm

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:10 pm

Actually, brakes are the number one mtx expense, so I hear. Used tires get re-capped all the time, it's perfectly safe. The tire company determines if the tire can be re-capped. It's marked on the side. The max number of re-caps is 6 I believe. You can always tell if a new wheel off the rack has new tire or not. A new tire has a smooth surface and a mfrs sticker on it. A re-cap has lots of little rubber points on it and re-cap stickers.
 
User avatar
747classic
Posts: 2548
Joined: Sat Aug 15, 2009 9:13 am

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Fri Jul 12, 2019 3:26 pm

fr8mech wrote:
Faro wrote:
I recall a thread where MX people confirmed that tires were in any case the No 1 spare part in terms of inventory rotation...a lot of movement with all that rubber-smoke generation on landing...


I looked at some data 15 or so years ago, trying to figure out if any individual tire position on the classic Jumbo was changed more often than another.

I seem to recall that we changed main tires, for wear, somewhere around 250 cycles, and nose tire around 320.


Flying for over 25 years on the 747-200/300 series, we came to the same conclusion :
- Main gear tires were changed more often for tire wear (especially the rear body gear tires were wearing out faster) than nose gear tires.
- Most of the nose wheel tires were not changed due wear but due excessive nose wheel vibration.(unbalance)
Almost all replacement tires were retread tires.
On certain (cargo) destinations we had 2 spare wheel assy's on board (hold 4), to be changed by the flight crew (dedicated F/E, with limited G/E license).
Operating a twin over the ocean, you're always one engine failure from a total emergency.
 
ArchGuy1
Topic Author
Posts: 41
Joined: Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:35 pm

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:05 pm

Max Q wrote:
Many years ago Cathay Pacific lost a Convair 880 when a retreaded nosewheel tire came apart during the take off roll



The aircraft could not be controlled and went off the side of the runway into the water (departing RW 13 at Kai Tak)while there were no fatalities it was substantially damaged and written off


The Cockpit was saved and later rebuilt as a simulator however, and a new policy was adopted to not use retreads on nosewheel tires

Was it made a Cathy Pacific policy or Hong Kong Civil Aviation Authority policy not to use retreads on the nosewheel.
 
Max Q
Posts: 7486
Joined: Wed May 09, 2001 12:40 pm

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:13 am

ArchGuy1 wrote:
Max Q wrote:
Many years ago Cathay Pacific lost a Convair 880 when a retreaded nosewheel tire came apart during the take off roll



The aircraft could not be controlled and went off the side of the runway into the water (departing RW 13 at Kai Tak)while there were no fatalities it was substantially damaged and written off


The Cockpit was saved and later rebuilt as a simulator however, and a new policy was adopted to not use retreads on nosewheel tires

Was it made a Cathy Pacific policy or Hong Kong Civil Aviation Authority policy not to use retreads on the nosewheel.




Good question but I’m not sure of the answer
The best contribution to safety is a competent Pilot.


Guns and the love of them by a loud minority are a malignant and deadly cancer inflicted on American society
 
strfyr51
Posts: 3764
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:06 am

fr8mech wrote:
Faro wrote:
I recall a thread where MX people confirmed that tires were in any case the No 1 spare part in terms of inventory rotation...a lot of movement with all that rubber-smoke generation on landing...


I looked at some data 15 or so years ago, trying to figure out if any individual tire position on the classic Jumbo was changed more often than another.

I seem to recall that we changed main tires, for wear, somewhere around 250 cycles, and nose tire around 320.

On a 747? (any 747) the aft Body gear tires are the most critical as they're the first to touch down and the last to Leave the ground.
 
strfyr51
Posts: 3764
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:15 am

AA737-823 wrote:
I'm not aware of any airline that does NOT do re-tread.
You're limited to a certain number of re-treads on one carcass, because the carcass itself ages, too.
But this is a non-issue, I'm not sure what has made you concerned about it.

United had certain airplanes that didn't use re-treads. where we mounted "light weight" Michellin and Bridgestone tires that were essentially throw away in the 52x20.5 size and the 49X19 size., But that was years ago. not even sure if they even build those tires anymore..
 
User avatar
fr8mech
Posts: 7650
Joined: Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:00 am

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:14 am

strfyr51 wrote:
On a 747? (any 747) the aft Body gear tires are the most critical as they're the first to touch down and the last to Leave the ground.


Actually, they're probably more critical because they scrub more in turns, especially if the BGS is inop. We did find that 8 & 11 were more frequently changed, but not by too much. I can't remember the numbers.

I suspect the -400 & -8 have the same issue.
When seconds count...the police are minutes away.
Unless it's expressly prohibited, it's allowed.
You are not entitled to a public safe space.
Ego Bibere Capulus, Ut Aliis Sit Vivere
 
User avatar
readytotaxi
Posts: 6443
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:09 am

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:27 pm

Dunlop tyres make new and do re-tred and 2017 opened up in USA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EixfVQjkmfk
you don't get a second chance to make a first impression!
Growing older, but not up.
 
User avatar
BartSimpson
Posts: 584
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:01 pm

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:58 am

strfyr51 wrote:
On a 747? (any 747) the aft Body gear tires are the most critical as they're the first to touch down and the last to Leave the ground.


Which is true for almost any aircraft, except for the DC-3 and a few others...
 
User avatar
kitplane01
Posts: 1333
Joined: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:58 am

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Sun Jul 14, 2019 7:39 am

Lpbri wrote:
Actually, brakes are the number one mtx expense, so I hear. Used tires get re-capped all the time, it's perfectly safe. The tire company determines if the tire can be re-capped. It's marked on the side. The max number of re-caps is 6 I believe. You can always tell if a new wheel off the rack has new tire or not. A new tire has a smooth surface and a mfrs sticker on it. A re-cap has lots of little rubber points on it and re-cap stickers.


I'm going to suggest that engine mtx is much higher than the cost of replacement tires, or brakes.
 
StereoTechque
Posts: 163
Joined: Sat Nov 28, 2015 7:24 am

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:00 am

My observation on the A320 with Radial tyres: Have seen retreading not more than 5 times on a single tyre. Usually denoted by R1,R2 as such. And the Vendor carries out Shearography Inspection to make sure a tire is fit for a re-tread.
Ive heard you can do more number of Retreads on a bias but the life of a retread on a Radial is longer.
Looking California.. Feeling Minnesota.... R. I.P. Chris Cornell...
 
strfyr51
Posts: 3764
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:04 pm

Re: Retread Tires on Commercial Planes

Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:29 am

StereoTechque wrote:
My observation on the A320 with Radial tyres: Have seen retreading not more than 5 times on a single tyre. Usually denoted by R1,R2 as such. And the Vendor carries out Shearography Inspection to make sure a tire is fit for a re-tread.
Ive heard you can do more number of Retreads on a bias but the life of a retread on a Radial is longer.

I think it depends on the condition of the core.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bambel, SESGDL and 17 guests

Popular Searches On Airliners.net

Top Photos of Last:   24 Hours  •  48 Hours  •  7 Days  •  30 Days  •  180 Days  •  365 Days  •  All Time

Military Aircraft Every type from fighters to helicopters from air forces around the globe

Classic Airliners Props and jets from the good old days

Flight Decks Views from inside the cockpit

Aircraft Cabins Passenger cabin shots showing seat arrangements as well as cargo aircraft interior

Cargo Aircraft Pictures of great freighter aircraft

Government Aircraft Aircraft flying government officials

Helicopters Our large helicopter section. Both military and civil versions

Blimps / Airships Everything from the Goodyear blimp to the Zeppelin

Night Photos Beautiful shots taken while the sun is below the horizon

Accidents Accident, incident and crash related photos

Air to Air Photos taken by airborne photographers of airborne aircraft

Special Paint Schemes Aircraft painted in beautiful and original liveries

Airport Overviews Airport overviews from the air or ground

Tails and Winglets Tail and Winglet closeups with beautiful airline logos