StTim
Topic Author

A380 Slats

Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:46 am

Just landed in Abu Dhabi and notice that all the A380’s are sitting at the gate with the slats extended.

I have not seen that on other types.

Is it just the A380?
Is it just Etihad SOP for the A380?

thepinkmachine

Re: A380 Slats

Sat Jul 20, 2019 8:53 am

There is (or was) a procedure on all Airbus to leave slats extended on ground during hot weather, in order to prevent nuisance bleed leak warning. I think the procedure was deleted by Airbus a couple of years ago, but some operators may still use it.

StTim
Topic Author

Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:30 am

Ah thanks

Now on board I can see the flaps are extended to take off position.

RRTrent

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:09 am

For Airbus, if the still air temp is 30C or above its recommended to leave the slats out and flaps 1. Its not a requirement I don't think, but many carriers do it in practice if the aircraft is going to be on the ground for any length of time.

Starlionblue

Tue Jul 23, 2019 7:29 am

thepinkmachine wrote:
There is (or was) a procedure on all Airbus to leave slats extended on ground during hot weather, in order to prevent nuisance bleed leak warning. I think the procedure was deleted by Airbus a couple of years ago, but some operators may still use it.

30C or more, keep the lever at "1". The procedure was deleted after a mod to existing aircraft. Some operators may not have embodied the mod, so they still do it.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

AA737-823

Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:52 am

I encountered the same thing, boarding Qantas in Singapore.
I was really pretty bummed about it, because I was looking forward to hearing the bizarre sound of the A380 flaps being extended!

I know AmericaWest/USAirways did this in PHX routinely, because of the extreme heat at that airfield. Otherwise, the hot air was tripping duct overheat warnings for the bleed system.

It makes me wonder why they don't have that problem on 737s, behind the Kruger flaps... Similar design.

Armadillo1

Fri Jul 26, 2019 7:38 am

A380 have a common slats and droop nose, nothing similar to krueger
https://www.physics.utoronto.ca/~poppit ... 0wings.pdf

Armadillo1

Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:00 am

Conclusions

aerodynamic design not better than necessary

thats explain a lot

Armadillo1

Fri Jul 26, 2019 10:38 am

another one question - is there any pics of "taberon" (high-speed aileron inside of flap)?

MrBretz

Fri Jul 26, 2019 11:35 pm

Armadillo1 wrote:
another one question - is there any pics of "taberon" (high-speed aileron inside of flap)?

Do you mean these things?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vdmIVwmVKs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqLyKwx8KNE

Starlionblue

Sat Jul 27, 2019 7:54 am

MrBretz wrote:
Armadillo1 wrote:

Those are drooping ailerons AKA flaperons.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

MrBretz

Sat Jul 27, 2019 3:37 pm

Starlionblue wrote:
MrBretz wrote:
Armadillo1 wrote:

Those are drooping ailerons AKA flaperons.

I know. I just wondered what “taberons” were.

Armadillo1

Sat Jul 27, 2019 9:34 pm

As another alternative for avoiding the negative impact on cost and weight by the double-slotted flap a ‘taberon’ on the inner flap was studied. The taberon would work as a high-speed roll-control device without compromising the performance of the high-lift wing by avoiding the large spanwise gap in the deployed trailing edge. The need for a best-balanced solution between the disciplines led to a trailing edge solution with a flap three-divided in spanwise direction. Although additional track locations with the resulting fairings and an additional flap-split with the related sealing problems are caused, this solution was still the most beneficial one for the aircraft due to advantages in structural and systems layout – but also due to manufacturability constraints of such large parts. In the evolution of the aircraft layout the high-lift system had to be adapted continuously to the requirements of the actual aircraft performance status. The initial high-lift system design delivered more aerodynamic performance than needed. On one hand this was caused by the change of requirements but on the other hand also from the satisfying performance of the design itself. This allowed several steps of downsizing of the trailing edge system. The flap chord relative to the cruise wing profile chord could be reduced from initial 28% to 24%. At the same time also the shroud position (i.e. spoiler length) could be adapted from 88% to 86%. Also the flap span could be downsized from 73% to 65% of wingspan (figure 12). With this flap span reduction and a corresponding extension of the aileron inwards sufficient roll control efficiency in high-speed flight is maintained. A trailing edge solution with an additional inboard aileron could be avoided

taberon shown here
https://www.physics.utoronto.ca/~poppit ... 0wings.pdf
on page 20.
its an aileron hidden in flaps

they proposed this thing but later move for more simple solution with no high-speed ailerons

MrBretz

Sat Jul 27, 2019 11:54 pm

Thanks. So no taberons. I do like the A380 ailerons. They flutter like a bird's feathers.

AA737-823

Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:24 am

Armadillo1 wrote:
A380 have a common slats and droop nose, nothing similar to krueger

Obviously.
I was referring to the positioning of the engine bleed air duct.
Which IS similar, thank you very much.