DigbyDude
Topic Author

When does the Pilot of an inbound flight receive the gate/stand information

Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:59 am

Hi,

I have often wondered, when an arrival flight arrives the Pilot knows the gate/stand assigned to the flight.

When and how does this information arrive to the cockpit, I imagine it is an ACARs message right (type ?) and typically how far out does the inbound aircraft receive it ?

Thanks for any clarity on this question ?

Adam

thepinkmachine

Re: When does the Pilot of an inbound flight receive the gate/stand information

Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:44 am

More often than not, the pilot won’t know the parking stand until after vacating the runway and receiving ATC instructions.

In some cases stand information will be sent by ACARS, or by radio from the handling agent
"Tell my wife I am trawling Atlantis - and I still have my hands on the wheel…"

DiamondFlyer

Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:42 pm

thepinkmachine wrote:
More often than not, the pilot won’t know the parking stand until after vacating the runway and receiving ATC instructions.

In some cases stand information will be sent by ACARS, or by radio from the handling agent

That's certainly not true in the US. Most carrier would receive their gate information via ACARS enroute to the airport.
From my cold, dead hands

BravoOne

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:24 pm

Actually on some US you would know you planned arrival gate before departure, and later up dated via ACARS when in range.

CosmicCruiser

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:31 pm

we usually got our gate in range either by acars or an inrange radio call.

Okie

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:38 pm

BravoOne wrote:
Actually on some US you would know you planned arrival gate before departure, and later up dated via ACARS when in range.

Even better I have been on many a flight where it was announced, usually during decent, the connecting passengers on the aircraft connecting flight gate number.

But I suppose that would be during normal operations.

Okie

BravoOne

Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:56 pm

Announcing the arrival gate 30 minutes out is fraught with problems. The less than savy traveler could easily get it wrong and wind up wondering all over the place to find his or her connection gate. Seattle comes to mind as there are significant last minute gate changes during heavily congested hours. Better to have them deplane and see that they are actually at B5 and need need to go over to A12 than giving some unreliable information 30 minutes out. What could go wrong.

nws2002

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:07 pm

In my experience, depending on the airlines, it is usually sent via ACARS or done via in range radio call. The crew usually will call in range about 20 minutes out from the airport and notify the local station of inbound SSR passengers (wheelchairs, etc), confirm the arrival gate, and confirm if any special services are required like an inoperative APU requiring GPU, ground air conditioning, and an air start.

Starlionblue

Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:57 pm

Just from my own experience at one airline:
- At some outports, you get the usual 2-3 gates each time.
- At some outports, you get the usual pier/terminal each time.
- At home port, it'll be the usual terminal unless something unusual is going on. You might get the gate half an hour before landing, but more likely from Tower or Ground.

Connecting gate information will be made available on the pax screens, but our actual gate might not be shown until we have landed.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

VSMUT

Wed Jul 31, 2019 9:56 pm

We used to call the ops department on the company frequency during approach to the hub, they would pass the details.

DL717

Thu Aug 01, 2019 3:35 am

ACARS, taking to ops when inbound, and sometimes ground will have it if equipped. The mileage on the later varies wildly, but usually at congested airports so they can think about taxiway sequencing decisions.
Welcome to Nothingburgers. May I take your order?

e38

Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:20 pm

DigbyDude, at the company at which I work (in the United States), we know the proposed gate at which we will arrive before we even leave the departure airport. It is printed on the flight paperwork that we receive at the departure airport before we even board the aircraft.

Once airborne, approximately 30 minutes prior to arrival, we send an "in-range" report that gives the company an updated arrival time and the in-range report automatically triggers an update response from the company confirming the assigned gate (via ACARS).

If the gate changes from the time we send the in-range report to the time of landing, we will automatically receive an ACARS message specifying the new gate once the aircraft slows to taxi speed.

In the United States, gate assignments are not normally given by either Tower or Ground Control because that is not generally considered their responsibility to know where an aircraft will park. When exiting the runway, on our first contact with ground control, we tell them what gate (or ramp entry point) we are assigned and ground control will provide appropriate taxi instructions to the location.

e38

CATIIIevery5yrs

Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:26 pm

Usually the FO will say “I checked earlier, we are going to 33 when we get in.” Then enroute, we’ll receive a gate assignment of 35 over ACARS. Then when we land, ramp will say “I’m showing gate 37 and it’s occupied.” Then we’ll sit in a hold pad and wait for it to get all sorted out.

Starlionblue

Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:15 am

CATIIIevery5yrs wrote:
Usually the FO will say “I checked earlier, we are going to 33 when we get in.” Then enroute, we’ll receive a gate assignment of 35 over ACARS. Then when we land, ramp will say “I’m showing gate 37 and it’s occupied.” Then we’ll sit in a hold pad and wait for it to get all sorted out.

Sounds about right. :D

Also, if you got an ACARS saying you are assigned a gate really close to the exit and you're hoping not to have to walk 15 minutes to public transport, you can be sure that tower will give you a new gate assignment, at the far end of the terminal, once you are established on the localiser.
"There are no stupid questions, but there are a lot of inquisitive idiots." - John Ringo

DigbyDude
Topic Author

Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:44 am

nws2002 wrote:
In my experience, depending on the airlines, it is usually sent via ACARS or done via in range radio call. The crew usually will call in range about 20 minutes out from the airport and notify the local station of inbound SSR passengers (wheelchairs, etc), confirm the arrival gate, and confirm if any special services are required like an inoperative APU requiring GPU, ground air conditioning, and an air start.

Hi @nws2002.. in my experience this type of information is sent by the airlines/ground handler at origin in a type B message: PSM, this message contains any special needs for any passengers...(SSR etc)
Other services like APU inop are often logged as notes in the MVT messages, is what I have seen over the years..

Thanks

Adam

Avgeek21

Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:43 am

Home base. For us we can see the daily gate planning before we leave the crewroom. But plans change. I like to check with our handling agent 30min before landing what the gate is. But plans change. So once we taxi in I won't know for sure until about minute before and we speak to the latest ground controller.

Not all crew are interested and not all crew check.

Outstation. We are able to contact some stations before landing and those gates will usually stay like they are. Others we cannot contact ahead so we go in blind. Past experience in most cases will tell you (roughly) where to go and what to expect. Our manuals will tell you where you can be expected to go but again, plans change. More appropriate with big airport. Some airports are so small it doesn't matter and ATC tells us. Some smaller apron charts don't tell you the exact stand layout and you have to kinda guess and find the marshaller yourself. Just look for people and handling equipment.

aklrno

Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:02 am

I was on some delayed UA flights last month and the cabin crew checked my gate assignments for me using an iPad or similar device. They were able to check my connecting flights. Not ACARS I presume?

STLflyer

Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:22 pm

aklrno wrote:
I was on some delayed UA flights last month and the cabin crew checked my gate assignments for me using an iPad or similar device. They were able to check my connecting flights. Not ACARS I presume?

They were using the in flight WiFi, you could've checked it too. Every airline with WiFi that I've ever used allows you to access their website and access connecting flight information without paying for WiFi.

planecane

Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:08 am

They should just download the airline app to their phone. :-)

From two recent trips I know for sure the AA app updates the arrival gate en route. I'm pretty sure the WN app also did.

TOGA10

Mon Aug 12, 2019 6:30 pm

In Europe, it's normally given to you by ATC. You could phone local OPS via VHF and find out if you really wanted to, but I don't see the point. Like Starlionblue said, it's normally in the same general area, so you roughly know where to go (which side of the rwy to vacate if it's in the middle), or ask TWR on final approach which side they want you to vacate. After that, Ground will tell you your gate and how to get there. I know some airlines get it in advance, but that's mainly for connecting pax.
Love flying, hate the alarm at 3 in the morning, love watching the sun rise at 5:30. It's all about compromises.

BWIAirport

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:11 pm

At airports where there's only one gate for a given airline, I'm sure it's in the briefing. When BA228 lands at BWI, they know they can go right to E1. I'm sure it's a similar situation at BNA, MSY, CHS, etc.
Next flight: October 17 DL2641 BWI-ATL B739
October 17 DL2607 ATL-TPA B752

SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

Avgeek21

Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:22 pm

I want to know in advance so I can plan my braking/exit and expected taxi route. Especially at home base. Maybe I can negotiate the next exit, use idle reverse and shorten the taxi time. To me no point in hard braking and full reverse to make an exit for you to taxi past the next exit to your gate. Wasting fuel and putting unnessecary strain/stress on the airframe and discomfort for pax/crew. It's all about planning ahead.

26point2

Mon Aug 19, 2019 2:41 pm

With all the careful coordination airlines are tasked with one would think they could at least figure out a destination gate that isn’t still still occupied at arrival. This happened to me on AA at DFW last week and on UA at SFO 2 days ago....15 minute wait on the ramp for the gate and we were already running 1 hour late. I wonder how many folks missed their connections. I would have been pissed if I had. This is becoming more frequent in my experience

WPvsMW

Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:35 pm

26p... did you arrive early? Occupied gate is common for early (or late) arrivals.

AirKevin

Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:38 pm

WPvsMW wrote:
26p... did you arrive early? Occupied gate is common for early (or late) arrivals.

26point2 wrote:
15 minute wait on the ramp for the gate and we were already running 1 hour late.

I'm guessing probably late.
Captain Kevin