texl1649
Topic Author

AA DFW

Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:58 pm

Why does AA still even today not have an ability to have a gate open and ready for a domestic flight two hours late to have a gate open when a flight arrives (after taxiing 15 minutes to terminal c)?

Isn’t this a pathetic level of coordination for the industry today or is it just more labor sabotage?

Ishrion

Re: AA DFW

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:03 pm

They seem to be a bit constrained on gate space. They’ve recently added 15 new gates at the E satellite and converted a few B gates to mainline.

Was there a storm or something that caused congestion?

DFW17L

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:03 pm

oh boy, here we go...

MIflyer12

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:07 pm

Some U.S. airports are gate-constrained. If you've flown into LGA/EWR/ATL/DFW/LAX/SFO/SEA ten times at 5PM on a weekday you've probably experienced a wait.

texl1649
Topic Author

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:13 pm

I’ve already been advised by one aa mechanic here to travel DL when I had the audacity to note the delays the past few months (one multiple hours due to mechanic slowness to respond) but as I live in DFW area and fly weekly it’s not a real option.

No other AA hub seems as inefficient at getting to or from the gate into/from the air.

Ishrion

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:15 pm

texl1649 wrote:
I’ve already been advised by one aa mechanic here to travel DL when I had the audacity to note the delays the past few months (one multiple hours due to mechanic slowness to respond) but as I live in DFW area and fly weekly it’s not a real option.

No other AA hub seems as inefficient at getting to or from the gate into/from the air.

LAX? To be completely honest, it’s taken me longer at LAX than DFW to get out of the gate.

KanaHawaii

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:25 pm

It seems that when a plane is early, or late, there is no gate. Only for those flights that come in on time - at least to my experience - that there is a gate. I am fully aware that gate space is at a premium and that planes need to get in and out on time for the next plane to come in.

DELTA767-400

Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:27 am

Anybody wonder if this is yet another reason Parker wanted a new layout? Resources get spread so thin in DFW. Its not like ATL or DEN where all the gates have other gates up from them, down from them, across the ramp, and across the terminal.

Also the expensive parking at the terminals is deterred by the fact that I can leave from D. But get in at A. I always try and check. I am not huge on the time wasted for others to carry on so I do not want to be a part of that. So I put some stuff in my camera bag and check the rest. Anyway then I gotta wait for the bus. Then go walk up the garage to my car. So Wally Park is just as OK. Even LGA does not blow that bad as it relates to getting to my car. And a design that tells you to do something that cases a delay in the boarding and unloading times of the passengers is an antiquated system. Things should be made to work to the smoothest possible degree.

DFW is an antiquated design. Someone should do what is hard and fix it. Not build another antiquated terminal just like the others.

The 13/31s seem under used. Closing some of the main runways for work on linear concourses should not be a huge deal. How much worse for taxi times and approach times was it when 17C was down for all that time last year?

The Bearded Spotter

citationjet

Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:36 pm

KanaHawaii wrote:
It seems that when a plane is early, or late, there is no gate. Only for those flights that come in on time - at least to my experience - that there is a gate. I am fully aware that gate space is at a premium and that planes need to get in and out on time for the next plane to come in.

I recently had an experience with AA in DFW regarding gate utilization. Only July 15 we arrived in DFW from NAS on flight 2759. We landed 12 minutes early, according to the Captain, and waited about 10 minutes for our assigned gate to open become available. After 10 minutes the Captain said we are going to a nearby gate instead (gate A33). We were quickly marshaled into the gate at 4:37 pm (according to Flightaware and AA's app).
We sat at the gate waiting for an AA gate agent to bring the jetbridge to the plane for 30 MINUTES. The Captain said he had radioed twice on the company frequency about our situation. The main door was finally opened at 5:07 pm. Of course AA's app showed that the plane arrived at the gate 8 minutes early!
I don't understand how there was not a single person available at AA's largest hub to drive the jetbridge to the plane. We were not waiting to taxi to the gate, as we were already parked at the gate and waited 30 minutes for the door to open. This is either poor management or lack of resources at AA.
Once again I am reminded why I prefer to fly DL, UA, or Alaska.

https://flightaware.com/live/flight/AAL2759/history/20190715/1824Z/MYNN/KDFW
Boeing Flown: 701,702,703;717;720;721,722;731,732,733,734,735,737,738,739;741,742,743,744,747SP;752,753;762,763;772,773.

TangoandCash

Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:46 pm

Typical of my recent experiences with AA at DFW. Unless your flight arrives exactly on time, you will be waiting for a gate. Even if your flight arrives exactly on time, you will probably be waiting for a gate. And once you finally get to a gate, you will be waiting for someone to bring the jetbridge and open the door.

It got noticeably worse when AA rebanked DFW, just too many flights arriving/departing within a short time with inadequate staff (or inadequately positioned staff). To me, it seems to have gotten another step worse within the last six months or so.

I live on the west side of the Metroplex, but I'm usually time (if not time and money) ahead driving past DFW and flying Southwest out of Love.