AZORMP
Topic Author

Airline Route Creation and Equip. Assignments

Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:58 pm

Good evening,

I am new to both the forum and the aviation world in general. I have always been interested in the airline world as a traveler, but my interest has surged in the past few months as I am now a ramp employee for a legacy carrier's regional services in the Midwest. Perhaps the username would provide more information...

I am studying logistics and transportation in college, looking at either a career with Amtrak or somewhere in the airline industry, possibly with Delta. My experience and knowledge with Amtrak's operations and the railroad, in general, are well-developed, but I am having trouble understanding how airlines make decisions on new routes and what equipment to assign to those routes. Perhaps it's all so much easier to understand than I think it is, but as an employee of only a few months, all of this is quite daunting.

Can anyone explain how these decisions are made? What factors need to be assessed before adding or removing routes from the system? Timing? Equipment assignments?

I do apologize if this is the wrong subforum. It was either this or Tech/Ops, and this seemed like the better choice.

Thank you,

AZORMP

BWIAirport

Re: Airline Route Creation and Equip. Assignments

Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:34 pm

Equipment is usually decided first by aircraft capability (can the aircraft make it off the runway and fly the whole distance), then capacity, then type of seating (high-J, etc). A lot of types BA flies are capable of JFK-LHR, but the demand of the route calls for high-capacity aircraft, such as the B744, B77W, or A388 (though I don't believe the BA terminal at JFK can fit the Super). Then, BA evaluates the market and determines it is more of a premium (business-oriented) market and assigns aircraft with larger premium classes, so we end up with the 744 on the route.
Next flight: November 23 BA216 IAD-LHR A388
November 24 BA814 LHR-CPH A320

SWA, UAL, DAL, AWE, ASA, TRS, DLH, CLH, AFR, BAW, EIN, AAL | E190 DC94 CRJ2 B712 B733 B737 B738 B739 B744 B752 B753 B762 B77W A319 A320 A321 A333 A343 A388 MD88

unimproved

Re: Airline Route Creation and Equip. Assignments

Tue Aug 06, 2019 4:00 am

BWIAirport wrote:
Equipment is usually decided first by aircraft capability (can the aircraft make it off the runway and fly the whole distance), then capacity, then type of seating (high-J, etc). A lot of types BA flies are capable of JFK-LHR, but the demand of the route calls for high-capacity aircraft, such as the B744, B77W, or A388 (though I don't believe the BA terminal at JFK can fit the Super). Then, BA evaluates the market and determines it is more of a premium (business-oriented) market and assigns aircraft with larger premium classes, so we end up with the 744 on the route.

This mostly, but with some mx and crew parts as well. If 3/4 destinations in the near region fly 777, it would be the tiebreaker to also fly the 4th with 772 instead of A330. That way line replaceable parts, mechanics, and if needed cockpit crews can be shared between these stations.